Gavin Jones
United Kingdom
Derby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

I've had a look and can't see any other threads relating to this (sorry if I've missed one)

Does anyone else think that the oversized hero cards are a bit pointless in this game as all they do is tell you which starter card to use?

Also my group feel like the special ability of each hero isn't available often enough as you have to wait for your card to come out (which becomes less frequent the more cards you buy).
It has been suggested that there could be an ability for each hero that is "always available" along similar lines to the DC heroes (e.g Batman's +1 power for each equipment played)

We haven't come up with any suggestions for abilities yet so we're open to ideas?

Thanks
Gav

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
We use them as 'territory markers' - any cards to the right of my marker and to the left of yours is in my play area. I like the fact that this game is different from DC super-heroes. I don't think not having a consistent ability matters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Jones
United Kingdom
Derby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do like that it's different but it just seems like a waste to have the oversized cards when it's the starter cards that actually make the difference between players.

The starter cards could be in the main deck and it wouldn't really change gameplay except that you'd have to wait longer before you get them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the oversized cards are pointless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Patriss
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They might be pointless, but they add some good flare. I like being one of the hero's in the game and knowing who is whom.

Plus if you pay attention to which hero is which against you, you will have a general idea of how their deck might end up or what cards they might go for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeekJock wrote:
They might be pointless, but they add some good flare. I like being one of the hero's in the game and knowing who is whom.

Flair. And that's still conveyed by your special starting card.

Quote:
Plus if you pay attention to which hero is which against you, you will have a general idea of how their deck might end up or what cards they might go for.

Sure, but again, that's a product of just seeing who gets what at the start. It may be non-trivial to remember what each person's starting card does, but I don't think it's notably easier to remember from a character card that tells you nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Connolly
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Hi,

I like the over-size cards, they are fun. Yes I play games for the fun of playing the game. Super heroes have power. You miss the point of The Lord of the Rings. It is with there weakness they still make a difference. Have fun with the game don't always look for the power play of the game. I will say winning is fun too, but when you set down with 4 players you have a 1 in 4 chance of winning. It is in the cards have fun and you all win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep pointless ... so you should send them to me ...
ill get you my address whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
"Pointless" is an interesting concept in games. Some people (obviously not games players) might suggest that playing any game at all is pointless.

The pictures on the card are pointless. Let's just have words.

The theme is pointless. Surely the game rules could be applied to any subject, like super-heroes or computer game combatants.

Please don't argue with anything I have said, as I don't actually agree with it myself. I was just making a point. About "pointless".

Actually, thinking about it, my post is pointless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do think they're important as a visual reminder (to yourself as well as others at the table) who exactly you're playing.

Sure, the guy across from you just played his Legolas starter card, but four turns from now in a four-player game, might you forget that? Who played the Gimli card again?

This is less important as you put many plays under your belt, but the visual cue is great early on for identifying the 'stronger' characters as well as helping remember what each player might be going after.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
"Pointless" is an interesting concept in games. Some people (obviously not games players) might suggest that playing any game at all is pointless.

The pictures on the card are pointless. Let's just have words.

The theme is pointless. Surely the game rules could be applied to any subject, like super-heroes or computer game combatants.

Please don't argue with anything I have said, as I don't actually agree with it myself. I was just making a point. About "pointless".

Actually, thinking about it, my post is pointless.

You could delete it, but why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reuben
Ireland
Kilcullen
Kildare
flag msg tools
mb
I love this game and the second one in the series but it did always bother me that my character's special card gradually disappeared from the game as my deck became larger so you don't get to 'feel' too different from any other player.

Then I bought the Street Fighter deck-building game. They also have a special card, known as an Ultra which allows you to counter-attack someone that attacks you (great fun) but in the rules there is a variant which I think I'm going to try and I think would work for the Lord of the Rings game too:

When your special card is in your hand, you play it as per usual and use its power. You then discard your other used cards in your hand but SHUFFLE THE SPECIAL CARD BACK INTO YOUR DRAW DECK. This allows for it to appear much more frequently and as every player's doing this, it shouldn't mess up the balance of the game.

I think this way, you will really look forward to this card's arrival and can focus your strategy around it instead of just having one extra card in your deck that you see occasionally but doesn't feel 'special'.

Definitely try it and let me know what you think. It's still not as focused as the DC game (which I don't own but can see myself getting at some stage) where every turn you have a special ability but it's better than one card wandering a giant deck, never to be seen!

Another Street Fighter variant is to put more than one special card in your deck and just discard them as usual. This way you'll have more usage of special cards but I don't think it'll have that same focus as having the same one appear over and over again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reubenagain wrote:
I love this game and the second one in the series but it did always bother me that my character's special card gradually disappeared from the game as my deck became larger so you don't get to 'feel' too different from any other player.

Then I bought the Street Fighter deck-building game. They also have a special card, known as an Ultra which allows you to counter-attack someone that attacks you (great fun) but in the rules there is a variant which I think I'm going to try and I think would work for the Lord of the Rings game too:

When your special card is in your hand, you play it as per usual and use its power. You then discard your other used cards in your hand but SHUFFLE THE SPECIAL CARD BACK INTO YOUR DRAW DECK. This allows for it to appear much more frequently and as every player's doing this, it shouldn't mess up the balance of the game.

I think this way, you will really look forward to this card's arrival and can focus your strategy around it instead of just having one extra card in your deck that you see occasionally but doesn't feel 'special'.

Definitely try it and let me know what you think. It's still not as focused as the DC game (which I don't own but can see myself getting at some stage) where every turn you have a special ability but it's better than one card wandering a giant deck, never to be seen!

Another Street Fighter variant is to put more than one special card in your deck and just discard them as usual. This way you'll have more usage of special cards but I don't think it'll have that same focus as having the same one appear over and over again.

Interesting. It means if you draw your special card in your first hand, you'll (barring other deck manipulation effects like putting stuff on top of your deck or the like; I can't remember the set well enough to say if there's stuff like that in people's special cards) have a 5/6 chance of having it in the second. That could be a significant advantage from a 50/50 starting hand chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reuben
Ireland
Kilcullen
Kildare
flag msg tools
mb
In Street Fighter your special card sits beside your large character card and you must purchase it for 6 power to add it to your discard pile. This prevents it's arrival for a few turns. It would be simple to use this same rule for the other Lord of the Rings deck-builders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reubenagain wrote:
In Street Fighter your special card sits beside your large character card and you must purchase it for 6 power to add it to your discard pile. This prevents it's arrival for a few turns. It would be simple to use this same rule for the other Lord of the Rings deck-builders.

The special cards in LOTR are not worth 6.
I would actually recommend the opposite: make sure that everyone gets their special in their first hand (get the special, then deal yourself 4 more cards), or make sure that everyone will get them in their second hand (put your special on the bottom of your deck).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reuben
Ireland
Kilcullen
Kildare
flag msg tools
mb
Oh yes, I forgot that the Street Fighter special cards are a lot more powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Jade
msg tools
My group plays with all three sets and we have all the promos besides Faramir. We play that each player picks 1 character and gets three of the cards from that character. So Gandalf & Aragorn have 3 special cards. Legolas and Gimli each have 2.5 (so that player picks 1 of the two to play), Same with Frodo and Sam. Merry and Pippin have 1 card each and 2 paired cards, so again you decide if you're Merry or Pippin and get those three cards. Then you have Boys and Girls. Arwen & Eowyn have 3 cards total, and Theodin, Boromir, and Faramir have 4 cards total.

We also rebalanced some the abilities (because some are much, much better than others. "Bow of the Galadrim" gets you +2 power and maybe (commonly) a draw. "I fear neither pain nor death" gives you a draw and maybe (rarely) +1 Power. Bow is a 5 point card. I Fear is maybe a 3 power, since it is marginally better than 2 point cards like Merry or Pippin.

Still testing those for game balance, but adding 3 special ability cards seems to make up for the lack of an always on special ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.