Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I have a shelf at home that I want to put in front of an old, never-to-be-used again fireplace (the insert was even removed).

However the bricks in front are uneven and has a general downward slope, causing the shelf to tip similarly to an uneven table.

Is there anything I can put down on the brick to counteract this? Or is there something that looks better than just a wad of paper or cardboard placed under one corner?

After I solve this I need to find a way to anchor it as it will contain books, and our little one is becoming more mobile.

EDIT: Just FYI I don't have my own access to band-saws or other wood working tools. It would take me some effort to do something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
A shim?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You can buy shims at any home improvement type store.

They are wedges of wood in varying sizes. Something like 6" long, 2" wide, but at one end .25" thick, the other end tapered to a point.

Cutting them to various sizes and angles would do what you need with a minimum of 'handywork'.

They can be set in place then painted or finished as needed if they remain visible.

Edit: Just like the ones Isaac has shown as I was typing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I honestly did not know those existed. That's great! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
EDIT: What the heck? Did something change in the BGG code?

I think the embedded parentheses are breaking it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ImaginaryRoot wrote:
Or is there something that looks better than just a wad of paper or cardboard placed under one corner?

I was going to suggest a wad of duct tape; the silvery finish really adds a touch of class, and it can be an interesting conversation piece. "Oh, that? Yes, that's a moon rock I had custom cut & polished for this installation."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
ImaginaryRoot wrote:

After I solve this I need to find a way to anchor it as it will contain books, and our little one is becoming more mobile.

What's behind the shelf (various materials - e.g. stone, brick, wood, etc.)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
matthew.marquand wrote:
ImaginaryRoot wrote:

What's behind the shelf (various materials - e.g. stone, brick, wood, etc.)?

Behind the shelf is more brick, presumably, as it is part of the fireplace/chimney. I think it is covered in a wood panel of some sort, though that part is escaping me at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
There are plastic shims that are even easier to use. You put them in as far as you need and then just bend up and they break off cleanly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can get masonry anchors but you'll need to be able to drill into the brick to have a hole for the anchor. You then attach the shelf to this anchor.

Brick is, relatively speaking, easy to drill but a small masonry bit is cheap to acquire and a regular drill will work fine.

However, this will do permanent "damage" to your fireplace front so I'm not sure that's desirable. Depending on where you put the anchors, you might be able to "hide" them in a grout line and then when/if you remove them, you can attempt to patch/refill the damage.

Of course, I have no idea what the condition of the brick is and drilling into it may just cause it to come tumbling down into your living room. If there's wood there, and you're willing to screw anchors into it, then you're cooking with gas, so to speak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
matthew.marquand wrote:
You can get masonry anchors but you'll need to be able to drill into the brick to have a hole for the anchor. You then attach the shelf to this anchor.

Brick is, relatively speaking, easy to drill but a small masonry bit is cheap to acquire and a regular drill will work fine.

However, this will do permanent "damage" to your fireplace front so I'm not sure that's desirable. Depending on where you put the anchors, you might be able to "hide" them in a grout line and then when/if you remove them, you can attempt to patch/refill the damage.

We are currently renting so long term isn't something on our minds currently The landlord has expressed wanting to change that area a bit now that the fireplace is out of commission.

Would anchoring the shelf to the floor work? My thought being that with the fireplace permanently disabled, they may lay carpet down in front of it (after we are gone) instead in an effort to blend it into the living room better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
ImaginaryRoot wrote:
If you've ever bought furniture from Ikea then you will have undoubtedly familiarized yourself with the little straps that can help you with this. They are a small nylon strap that screws into the top of the back of the shelf on one end and into the wall on the other end, so that toddlers who attempt to climb don't get crushed by tipped-over furniture. If you don't have any from Ikea you can buy them at Amazon as well.

The only niggling part might be finding a spot in the brick to put the other end of the nylon strap. One way would be to drill a hole in the brick mortar (between bricks) for a plastic wall anchor & put the screw into that. Easier than attempting to put a screw through brick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the Ikea strap be screwed into the floor behind the shelf? It would provide *some* tipping stability I'd think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
matthew.marquand wrote:
Can the Ikea strap be screwed into the floor behind the shelf? It would provide *some* tipping stability I'd think.

I could always anchor it in multiple places if needed. The shelf is hardwood with a thick frame, allowing for some bigger-than-normal screws for anchoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
ImaginaryRoot wrote:
matthew.marquand wrote:

I could always anchor it in multiple places if needed. The shelf is hardwood with a thick frame, allowing for some bigger-than-normal screws for anchoring.

Is there a mantle that overhangs a bit? You could screw into the bottom of that for one end of the anchor, thereby keeping the hole relatively hidden.

Also, I'm in Brighton and have a moderately well-provisioned workshop, so if you need to borrow anything, send me a PM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
rshipley wrote:
There are plastic shims that are even easier to use. You put them in as far as you need and then just bend up and they break off cleanly.

The wooden ones will do that, too. Note the scores in the picture above; those are places where they break easily. You can also get some with less of a wedge to them, without the scores, which break even more easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
rinelk wrote:
ImaginaryRoot wrote:
matthew.marquand wrote:

Is there a mantle that overhangs a bit? You could screw into the bottom of that for one end of the anchor, thereby keeping the hole relatively hidden.

Also, I'm in Brighton and have a moderately well-provisioned workshop, so if you need to borrow anything, send me a PM.

Yes there is a mantle. The shelf is a bit lower than the mantle, though, so I don't know how well I could hide an anchor going that high... but it's definitely a possibility.

And thanks for the offer of your workshop. I'll definitely keep it in mind if I need anything!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I would first install a hardwood veneered plywood panel to cover the front of the fireplace, shimming it so it is plumb. Then you can simply add the shelf to the front of the plywood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LennyS wrote:
I think I would first install a hardwood veneered plywood panel to cover the front of the fireplace, shimming it so it is plumb. Then you can simply add the shelf to the front of the plywood.

Fly Lenny out and make him do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
LennyS wrote:

But I think the problem is the hearth is not square with the fireplace front causing the free standing shelf to lean away from the fireplace. The shims were for the front of the shelf (on top of the hearth) to square it to the fireplace front.

Maybe I completely misread the post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
matthew.marquand wrote:
LennyS wrote:

But I think the problem is the hearth is not square with the fireplace front causing the free standing shelf to lean away from the fireplace. The shims were for the front of the shelf (on top of the hearth) to square it to the fireplace front.

No I have a free-standing bookshelf I want to put in front of the fireplace, so the shims will help keep it level, with anchor points to be determined so a soon-to-be-mobile child won't tip it over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
ImaginaryRoot wrote:
matthew.marquand wrote:
LennyS wrote:

No I have a free-standing bookshelf I want to put in front of the fireplace, so the shims will help keep it level, with anchor points to be determined so a soon-to-be-mobile child won't tip it over.

Ooh, I have another idea--attach one anchor to the floor in the middle of the room, and the other to the child. Saves you childproofing the rest of the house!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
ImaginaryRoot wrote:
matthew.marquand wrote:
LennyS wrote:

I didn't read it incorrectly! Yes!!

It's a bit hard to tell what Lenny was trying to accomplish but it feels like it doesn't address your basic issue. Or...I'm completely misunderstanding Lenny!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fire Lord
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:
It's a bit hard to tell what Lenny was trying to accomplish but it feels like it doesn't address your basic issue. Or...I'm completely misunderstanding Lenny!

No worries...I misunderstand him all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
roseundy wrote:
matthew.marquand wrote:

No worries...I misunderstand him all the time.

I think this just further solidifies my belief that Lenny is misunderstood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.