Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing Edward Stafford as an event, can you choose to have another player discard a Mandatory Event card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning" - Dr. Reiner Knizia
mbmbmbmbmb
No. See Ed's post on this thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/906470/can-you-discard-manda...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greg Forster wrote:

Thanks for the link, Greg.

So if another player has one card left, and it's a mandatory event, he can discard it is a random card draw.

But if he has Stafford played on him, he doesn't discard the card and Stafford has no effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Beach
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Greg: I'm not sure that link actually applies here. That link covers:

a) all cases where another player's action causes you to lose a random card (in which case Mandatory Events can be affected)

AND

b) cases where you need to use a card to cover an "expense", spending CP when it isn't normally your impulse (Mandatory Events are not allowed in this instance).

But I'd argue that the case where another player gets to CHOOSE which card of yours is discarded is not covered by that ruling. You need to see if I ever ruled on "Can a mandatory event be chosen to be discarded by Spanish Inquisition (in HIS)". If I did, then that ruling should apply here too.

If not I need to rule on this for the first time. And I'm leaning toward this being closest to case (a) ... so I would let Mandatory Events be affected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed Beach wrote:
You need to see if I ever ruled on "Can a mandatory event be chosen to be discarded by Spanish Inquisition (in HIS)". If I did, then that ruling should apply here too.

Voila: in April 2010 on CSW you confirm that a Mandatory event can be discarded by Spanish Inquisition.

(the link is to the original question, Word of Ed™ is found 3 posts below)

EDIT: an FAQ note for this card has been created in the web manifest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT: See post above for your answer!

Ed Beach wrote:
But I'd argue that the case where another player gets to CHOOSE which card of yours is discarded is not covered by that ruling. You need to see if I ever ruled on "Can a mandatory event be chosen to be discarded by Spanish Inquisition (in HIS)". If I did, then that ruling should apply here too.

If not I need to rule on this for the first time. And I'm leaning toward this being closest to case (a) ... so I would let Mandatory Events be affected.

I searched around today and found no specific threads in the HIS forum (on BGG) were this specific ruling was found. In the HIS Errata and FAQ file this was the only rulings I found for Spanish Inquisition:

HIS Errata & FAQ wrote:
Spanish Inquisition: When this event is played, the Hapsburg selects a card to be discarded. Can this be a Home card?
No. Home cards can never be taken from a player’s hand by either a random draw or event card play.

EDIT: Answered above!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Beach
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for finding that Joel. And this makes me feel better since it confirms that my instincts on how to rule on this question have not changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hentzel
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I realize that this thread is more than three years old, but I had a (possibly silly) follow-up question, and I thought it made sense to keep it in the same place.

Can Sir Edward Stafford be played by a player to target himself?

The text is: "Play as an event to review the cards and treasures in one power's hand and select one card or treasure to be discarded."

Most cards that do similar things (e.g., Witchcraft) explicitly say something like "any other power."

The only reason that I can think of for wanting to do this is to discard a Mandatory Event. Since it sounds like Sir Edward Stafford can, in general, discard Mandatory Events, would it also work to discard one from one's own hand?

My guess is that there are three possible answers:

1. The card can't actually target the player playing it.

2. It can target that player, but he or she can't choose a Mandatory Event (even if it's the only other card) due to a general principle that prevents "voluntarily" discarding Mandatory Events. (Is there a clear and precise statement of this principle?)

3. This is a valid way to get rid of an unpleasant Mandatory Event (at the cost of wasting 5 CP).

My "game sense" is that 1. is correct, but I would have trouble explaining why different cards said different things about whom they could affect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd actually say it's 2.
The card is worded in such a way that a player can target its own power, but the prohibition on discarding mandatory events when you can choose the discarded card.

The 500th anniversary edition of Here I Stand has had it stated explicitly in 6.1 (and this is a shared mechanic between the two games):

Quote:
Mandatory Events cannot be chosen when a player has his choice of card
to be discarded (e.g. with the French Chateau table or the events
Mercenaries Demand Pay, Sack of Rome, Spanish Inquisition, or
Thomas More). If the owning player has his choice of discard and
his options for discard consist only of Home Card(s) and Mandatory
Events, skip the discard; all those cards remain in that player’s hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.