Subject: Scenario 1: Operation Compass balanced? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kaiser Karl
Spain
Vélez-Málaga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dito, could somebody win the scenario 1 with the Italians? My impression is that the English will always get to map 2 with enough suply points to make continuations until it wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Carlos77 wrote:
Dito, could somebody win the scenario 1 with the Italians? My impression is that the English will always get to map 2 with enough suply points to make continuations until it wins.

This is a situation that is very hard for the Italians indeed. Historically it was a lost cause. But I was able to win it. Check here o BGG I posted a few Italian set-ups for turn two...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played this a number of times, I have been using it to teach a new player. I have been playing the Italians, I did win the first 2 times but once my friend had picked up the rules and could just focus on the strategy it was a lost cause from then on.

But when Im playing the British, I cant see how I can lose, unless the die keeps rolling 1's

So in my opinion its a good scenario to teach new players the system if the experienced player plays the Italians.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jesters_race wrote:
I have played this a number of times, I have been using it to teach a new player. I have been playing the Italians, I did win the first 2 times but once my friend had picked up the rules and could just focus on the strategy it was a lost cause from then on.

But when Im playing the British, I cant see how I can lose, unless the die keeps rolling 1's

So in my opinion its a good scenario to teach new players the system if the experienced player plays the Italians.

I agree. But the Italians can still win now and then. I have posted a few examples for the Italian defense of Map 3 on Turn 2.

Thread Link:

Italian Turn 2 Example Set-Up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a look through the examples you had put up. The first few are along much the same lines I have tried before, they do make the Allied player pay for a number of offencives but in the end I have found this not to matter that much for the Allies (aslong as you don't lose them all) since they will gain just about all the supply counters for the next game turn anyway sice they still have plenty left over from this round.

I havnt really tried the "Wire Defence" but from first look it seems all the Allies need to do is focus all their power on on the unit near the coast, once that unit is defeated then move the faster units down the coast and then south at Tobruk onto the tracks to cut off the remaining Italians supply and leave a couple of Allied units behind to defend against the Italians trying to cut the Allied supply on the advancing units. But having said that I will have to give this a go.

Anyway I still enjoy playing as the Italians as I keep trying something new with them everytime. But now that my friend has played a few times we will probably start a full campaign game soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken McGechaen
United Kingdom
ILKLEY
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Operation Compass is certainly winable for the Italians, but they do need a bit of luck. My regular opponent and I played this scenario a couple of nights ago.

On map 2 the British failed to destroy the Italian armour or infantry, instead only inflicting DR results. This allowed the Italians a last stand at Sidi Barani, with associated EX British step losses.

On map 3 I opted for an upfront defence, with the Italian armour in defence. Entrenchments were used to cover the priniciple towns and Halfaya Pass.

the Allied assualt got off to a poor start owing to the reluctance of the Australians to commit (Strategy Card), and the reduced Aussie division received an EX result at Halfaya Pass.

However the British armour rolled over the remaining Italian frontline positions, with a succession of DR and EX results. All this blunted the offensive capability of the British,as the remaining Italian units retreated to the hills north of Tobruck.

Sensing the need for one final big push, but running low on supplies, the British (depleted) 7th Armour pressed on with O'Connor to seize Tobruk. However the Italians still had an infantry presence in the hills, and a counterattack by the Italian armour against the 7th armoured saw them unable to retreat, and hence eliminated, and O'Connor now a POW!

Out of all supply, the Italians continued up the coast, cutting off the remaining British armour in the Tobruk hills. The British had to fight there way out of the encirclement using up their remaining supplies to do so.

The scenario ended with both sides out of supplies, the British down to "Combe" force and the Italians with Babini's armour and an infantry corp.

So with a bit of luck, from cards and dice, and possibly overcommitment by the Britisth El Duce's forces can succeed.

We are having another try out next week as a prelude to playing the full campaign game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.