United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm handy in the woodshop and have made several pieces of furniture in our house (pencil post desk, hope chest, queen-sized bed, night stands, huntboard, bathroom cabinet, etc.). I've got plenty of cherry waiting to me made into something (hundreds of board feet) and I'm looking to make a coffee table.

But I want to make something that fits our "style" (mostly shaker/mission-ish) but I also want something that is unique and could potentially work as a small gaming area for my wife and I while sitting on the couch.

My initial thought is to build a relatively standard shaker/mission base but put the same kind of top on it that my dining room table has on it.

Table Closed:

Table Open (doubles its available space):

Mechanism:

The top of the table is double thickness and the entire top rotates/pivots on a point that allows it to rotate so that it sits on the far end of the four legs (the hinges that exist along the long side of the table are now above the four legs). In this position, you simply flip open the top "layer" of the table covering the exposed legs and voila...giant table twice as big.

The donut shaped item above represents the pivot point. The double thickness top is bolted into this donut and represents the only place where the table is physically connected to the legs and skirt. The gray rectangle above represents the rotating double thickness top.

Anybody have any cool designs they've seen or are willing to share?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've already covered this topic, here.

(Actually not exactly what you've requested. But you may find some inspiration there.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My in-laws have a coffee table that pulls apart (like a table would the has a leaf) to reveal a secondary surface underneath it. When it's "open" it has about 1.75x the surface area of the table closed, but it is at two different heights. I'm sure someone out there has rigged up a system that pushes up the center section when the table is fully extended, though.

The lift-top style coffee tables, where the top lifts flat so that it is proper height when sitting at the sofa, are also some of my faves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
May I take your trident, sir?
mbmbmbmbmb
You may have seen this clip already, but I just saw it for the first time a week or so back...

Maybe an idea for the next coffee table?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
Geek Chic has some options that seem plausible as sources for inspiration--my favorite of theirs is the Rift.

I probably wouldn't go for the (very cool) expanding tabletop, reserving the coffee table for more intimate game experiences, unless you also wanted to raise the height somehow. While I love the tabletops of the Rift, I'd probably try to use the space under it more effectively for game storage. As it is, they require that you take everything off the bottom shelf in order to open it--I'd rather put in a simple shelf with bins or something accessible from the side.

I'm strongly considering working on a similar project, which is why this has been on my mind recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
Geek Chic has some options that seem plausible as sources for inspiration--my favorite of theirs is the Rift.

I probably wouldn't go for the (very cool) expanding tabletop, reserving the coffee table for more intimate game experiences, unless you also wanted to raise the height somehow. While I love the tabletops of the Rift, I'd probably try to use the space under it more effectively for game storage. As it is, they require that you take everything off the bottom shelf in order to open it--I'd rather put in a simple shelf with bins or something accessible from the side.

I'm strongly considering working on a similar project, which is why this has been on my mind recently.

Nice! Thanks for some inspiration. Agreed about the space under it and the more effective use. I'm not sure I could get used to playing "in a hole" though given the height of a standard coffee table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:
rinelk wrote:

Nice! Thanks for some inspiration. Agreed about the space under it and the more effective use. I'm not sure I could get used to playing "in a hole" though given the height of a standard coffee table.

Hmm...I should think about that. Maybe it'd be worth mocking it up with cardboard boxes stacked to an appropriate height, and trying to play a game on a larger box set above them, most of which had been cut away (leaving just the flat surface and the rim). My intuition is that, so long as I'm not leaning over the whole time, it would be okay, but I'm not sure. Though, come to think of it, since I'd be approaching the board from a higher relative vantage point, the rim would probably be less in the way than it would be on a dining- or bistro-height table. So it would really just be a question of whether it's possible to have a coffee table which isn't too tall when the top is on, yet still not too short when it's off. That might depend to some extent on how short a rim you think you can deal with--if you have tall game pieces you'd like to leave in place, it would have to be kind of tall, otherwise it could be relatively short.

One other suggestion would be to build in card holders. I find that a 15˚ cut of perhaps a quarter inch depth is adequate--you might be able to simply cut that permanently into your edge (though I suppose, if you did, I've no idea how you'd clean it--I've only made trays this way so far).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I played on some recessed tables at BGG.CON last year (not sure if they were Rift) and the lip was not very noticeable at all. It did not affect the gameplay. As you've said, it probably matters even less with a coffee table as the angle-of-attack is higher. The recessed play area is great if you often take extended breaks from your games, but what kind of games are you going to be playing on a coffee table? I don't think you're going to be busting out huge 4-hour+ monsters, so the need for a recessed table is greatly decreased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.