Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Seguin
France
Pessac
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have one question that I didn't succeed to answer by myself.

At the end of the game, after the 8 turns, if you have some remaining fish tiles, you earn 1 vatu for 1 fish you still possess.

The question is : If I get more than 9 vatus after this fish conversion, do I apply the rule "10 vatus => 5 prosperity points" ?

I'm French, and this case is not mentionned in the french rulebook.

At first I thought that I could not convert the vatus into prosperity points.
One reason is :
- When applying the "10 vatus => points" conversion at the end of the game, it gives me 1 or 2 prosperity points more... and eventually a spare marker, which is a great advantage !

Explanation : If 2 players have already selected the "Sell" action and have a greater majority than me, then I could chose to not play on this action. The "10 vatus => points" conversion at the end of the game has the same result as the action "Sell for 1 vatu", because I am the third to sell. So it gives me the opportunity to spare one marker and use it on another action.

That's what I had in mind.
Bu I recently had a look at the English rulebook. And it is clearly written :
"Players who possess FISH tiles receive vatus equal to the sum of values on the tiles. As usual, convert 10 vatus into 5 prosperity points when able."

Why the English rule has this 2nd sentence ? You can't find it on other language's rules (FR, DE, NL, IT - cannot check JP and KR). The original rule is the french one ? So did the english translator asked for this specific point to the author and added this rule detail ?

Thank you to share your point of view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

I'm the English translator of the rules. I just confirmed via my old emails that I did explicitly ask Alain for clarification on this point, and received it. The English rules are more clear in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Seguin
France
Pessac
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Jason for your reply.
So it's the author's wish to play this way.
I may have decided the other way, but I will apply this rule... ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.