Recommend
20 
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

The Battle of Five Armies» Forums » General

Subject: War of the Ring: Battle of the Third Age, sort of reprint. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Kuster
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"expansions depicting other battles from the Third Age of Middle-earth narrated in The Lord of the Rings, such as the Siege of Gondor and the assault of Saruman against Rohan."


From the description it sounds like this will sort of be a reprint of the Gondor and Rohan battles found in the Battle of the Third Age Expansion for War of the Ring first edition but with new rules. I really liked that expansion it had some great features and modifications to the WotR rules. I hope this BoFA will have similar mechanics, looking forward to it.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
roberious wrote:
I really liked that expansion it had some great features and modifications to the WotR rules. I hope this BoFA will have similar mechanics, looking forward to it.


I think you will be pleased...
26 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Everybody wants to be a Game Designer but nobody wants to be a Game Designer.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Veldrin wrote:
roberious wrote:
I really liked that expansion it had some great features and modifications to the WotR rules. I hope this BoFA will have similar mechanics, looking forward to it.


I think you will be pleased...


When do you think he will be pleased?
29 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Mann
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Will Battle of Five Armies (said to have a cost similar to War of the Ring) act as a base game with additional battles being expansions to that? As in using mostly components from Battle of Five Armies but with their own board, cards and perhaps a unique figure or 2? Or will they be full games on their own like Five Armies.

Yours,

Logan's Wallet
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kuster
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Veldrin wrote:
roberious wrote:
I really liked that expansion it had some great features and modifications to the WotR rules. I hope this BoFA will have similar mechanics, looking forward to it.


I think you will be pleased...


Excellent, most excellent
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Would anyone happen to know whether the Battle of Five Armies could possibly accommodate 5 players? I recognize it's listed as a 2-player game, but if there's a legitimate 5-player variant, I'm in!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnold Vincent Canaria
Australia
Kensington
South Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Logan, if it will be designed similarly to the BoTTA expansion to 1ED War of the Ring, then it will be a board expansion using the same miniatures, tokens and dice with a few additional bits of its own that would be specific to the scenario/event represented.

I did like the tactical rules introduced in BoTTA (taking advantage of terrain) so I'm really looking forward to this game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCormley
United States
SD
California
flag msg tools
OUCH!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor X wrote:
Would anyone happen to know whether the Battle of Five Armies could possibly accommodate 5 players? I recognize it's listed as a 2-player game, but if there's a legitimate 5-player variant, I'm in!

Pure speculation, of course, but I think not.

Only because the Dwarves, Elves and Humans have to cooperate so much to survive, it doesn't seem like there would be a lot of independent decision making involved. i.e. I suspect the units will all be mixed together within each zone.

I suppose they might be able to work something out if each player were responsible for individual heroes..somehow. Beorn in bear form was pretty much an army all by himself...at least in the book.

Tim
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a two-players game. There are different races at the battle, but as the battle starts, two factions are fully formed and there is nothing in the dynamics of the engagement to allow for differentiated players' goals.

Perhaps a multi-player game could have been possible with a MUCH broader look at the events in The Hobbit, encompassing the White Council, the different goals of Dwarves, Men and Elves at the time of these events, and so on. But that would be a completely different game, and probably barely recognizable by most people as Hobbit-related...
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
When I said 5-players, I was thinking along the lines of Axis and Allies. I wasn't envisioning each man for himself, but rather different players controlling the different armies within each faction.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Smith
United States
Bel Air
MD - Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cybernex wrote:
It's a two-players game. There are different races at the battle, but as the battle starts, two factions are fully formed and there is nothing in the dynamics of the engagement to allow for differentiated players' goals.

Perhaps a multi-player game could have been possible with a MUCH broader look at the events in The Hobbit, encompassing the White Council, the different goals of Dwarves, Men and Elves at the time of these events, and so on. But that would be a completely different game, and probably barely recognizable by most people as Hobbit-related...
Sounds great! So when will that game be coming out?
6 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clausing
United States
Winfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Will a collector's edition come out for this?

If so, will a release coincide with a general release of the base game?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJ Tee
msg tools
Hi Roberto,

Thanks for the update.

I realize it's too early to ask but do you have long range plans to create a "Silmarillion" type wargame on certain battles? There's lot of battles covered in the epic. Seems that your system would work well.

Looking forward to the new releases. Thanks!

JJ
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to work on a Silmarillion-based game.

Pity is that licensing rights for anything owned by Tolkien's heirs (that is, all Tolkien's works, except the Hobbit and LotR), are out of reach.

From what I gather, the heirs were so disappointed about the original LOTR/Hobbit deal (where our beloved JRRT sold all the rights for a decent, but flat, fee, losing control on the results at the same time), that they decided not to risk to license anything else, ever more. Alas, including the Silmarillion.

9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
But everything mentioned in the Hobbit, LotR, and the LotR appendices are in your license, right? Like the battle of Azanulbizar?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Roberto, it's been mentioned a few times now, here and there; will there be a deluxe limited edition of Battle of Five Armies? Thanks.
.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We can only hope the rules are less clunky/clumsy this time around. For my money, the War of the Ring rules are some of the most impossible to get through of any I've read. (For me, anyway.)

Ugh!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cybernex wrote:
It's a two-players game. There are different races at the battle, but as the battle starts, two factions are fully formed and there is nothing in the dynamics of the engagement to allow for differentiated players' goals.

Perhaps a multi-player game could have been possible with a MUCH broader look at the events in The Hobbit, encompassing the White Council, the different goals of Dwarves, Men and Elves at the time of these events, and so on. But that would be a completely different game, and probably barely recognizable by most people as Hobbit-related...


So it would be more like the movies then? sauron
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Everybody wants to be a Game Designer but nobody wants to be a Game Designer.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cybernex wrote:
I'd love to work on a Silmarillion-based game.

Pity is that licensing rights for anything owned by Tolkien's heirs (that is, all Tolkien's works, except the Hobbit and LotR), are out of reach.

From what I gather, the heirs were so disappointed about the original LOTR/Hobbit deal (where our beloved JRRT sold all the rights for a decent, but flat, fee, losing control on the results at the same time), that they decided not to risk to license anything else, ever more. Alas, including the Silmarillion.



What about the "Battle of Dale" expansion? Same map, most of the same figures, add some Easterling figures and we're ready to play!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

Roberto, it's been mentioned a few times now, here and there; will there be a deluxe limited edition of Battle of Five Armies? Thanks.
.


It's not in our short-term plans. In the future... maybe, if the game becomes popular enough.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
We can only hope the rules are less clunky/clumsy this time around. For my money, the War of the Ring rules are some of the most impossible to get through of any I've read. (For me, anyway.)

Ugh!


My summary and reference may help you out. Check it out.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciaran M
United Kingdom
Co. Down
UK
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
UniversalHead wrote:


My summary and reference may help you out. Check it out.



He doth speaketh the truth!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cybernex wrote:
From what I gather, the heirs were so disappointed about the original LOTR/Hobbit deal (where our beloved JRRT sold all the rights for a decent, but flat, fee, losing control on the results at the same time), that they decided not to risk to license anything else, ever more. Alas, including the Silmarillion.


And taking into account what has happened to other, similar franchises (I am looking at you, Frank Herbert estate), we cannot be thankful enough for that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cybernex wrote:
But that would be a completely different game, and probably barely recognizable by most people as Hobbit-related...


Good choice! Thats what happened with the current movie(s) and I like that you stick to the source material as it is.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cybernex wrote:
isaacc wrote:

Roberto, it's been mentioned a few times now, here and there; will there be a deluxe limited edition of Battle of Five Armies? Thanks.
.


It's not in our short-term plans. In the future... maybe, if the game becomes popular enough.

It should always be done! haha.

I love spiffy &fancy editions like that!

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.