Popular Tags: [View All]
J H
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not a huge fan of the paper money in this game. If you were going to replace it, what would you use? Poker chips are an option, but not really fitting with the theme. Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mini poker chips, as with all games that include paper money. It doesn't seem any more out of theme than coal mines being made out of cardboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Mini poker chips, as with all games that include paper money. It doesn't seem any more out of theme than coal mines being made out of cardboard.

You and your sensible reality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn B
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been considering money game cards -- like this:

http://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/money-cards

I haven't actually gotten these myself, so I can't really say if they are as good as they look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mxever7 wrote:

Why in the world would you want cards rather than chips? Cards seem worse in every dimension. Barely a step up from paper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got Coal Baron and also really dislike the paper money. Has anyone seen anything like poker chips that are in different sizes? With my husband's vision disabilities, it's really nice when games come with the money in different sizes. I'd definitely like the chip/coin idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SilvaShado wrote:
I'd definitely like the chip/coin idea.

See this thread. You only need money in two denominations. Assuming he's not completely blind (how does he play the game???) I assume he could tell the difference between at least the two highest contrast colors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
SilvaShado wrote:
I'd definitely like the chip/coin idea.

See this thread. You only need money in two denominations. Assuming he's not completely blind (how does he play the game???) I assume he could tell the difference between at least the two highest contrast colors.

He is legally blind, so he can see some, but most games we play, I read everything to him (which is why we play a lot of euros and co-ops). He can keep separate piles just fine, but it's easier if the money is in different sizes so he can feel them. He also has some trouble differentiating colors, which is again why different sizes is so nice.

But thank you for the link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps get a set of full size poker chips and a set of minis? That would be useful in all sorts of games.

I'm amazed that a blind person could play Coal Baron, irrespective of money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea Curt. Thanks!

My husband has really good spatial reasoning, even if he can't see the board too well (he's not completely blind). He's getting excellent at Suburbia and regularly kicks my butt at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Caracappa
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have recently picked up this game and immediately had the same thoughts about the paper money.

From my time managing a small game store (long since out of business) I had aqquired a bagful of "Quarter bouncers" quarters. They are effectively the same as a standard U.S. quarter in their look and feel.

I use them as the money in this game and there is no need for any other demonination as I have plenty of them and usually no one hoards that much money in this game.

TL:DR - Use metal coins, one denomination is plenty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerod S.
United States
Mount Vernon
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Mxever7 wrote:

Why in the world would you want cards rather than chips? Cards seem worse in every dimension. Barely a step up from paper.

Because cards (in general) are better in every dimension.

Paper money is not as sturdy, so it tears MUCH MUCH easier than any card I have ever seen. Cards generally have a smaller footprint, and in general a better size for easy storage (yet thicker). But I prefer sturdy (thicker) any-day. Cards typically come in nice tuck boxes that store easily. And, well, play paper money just in general... SUCKS. In my opinion it is the worst form of currency in any game hands-down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're saying cards are better than paper. Sure. But the question was why anyone would want cards instead of chips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerod S.
United States
Mount Vernon
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
You're saying cards are better than paper. Sure. But the question was why anyone would want cards instead of chips.

gotcha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SilvaShado wrote:
I just got Coal Baron and also really dislike the paper money. Has anyone seen anything like poker chips that are in different sizes? With my husband's vision disabilities, it's really nice when games come with the money in different sizes. I'd definitely like the chip/coin idea.

I borrow money from Isle of Skye to play this game. Denominations work, and both the size and color of the coins are different between them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lumpfuggit wrote:
curtc wrote:

gotcha

Huh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerod S.
United States
Mount Vernon
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Lumpfuggit wrote:
curtc wrote:

gotcha

Huh?

Ummm, well if I need to elaborate:

Just saying ok, I got it. I miss-read it as being about the original question of "cards replacing paper money", when you meant (in the post I quoted) "cards replacing chips" (not the original question). I just read it quickly and assumed that we were on the original topic. Either way you were simply bashing someone's own and unique suggestion.

The OP was asking for suggestions, not A suggestion. Glenn B. tossed out a valid suggestion, that you obviously detested. I am not sure if that was because you were shocked that everyone else didn't just agree with your suggestion. Therefore, locking the post from further replies because you had obviously provided the ONLY valid response. Or if you really think/thought that his suggestion was worthless and invalid. I don't know, nor do I care at this point. But I found HIS suggestion quite useful. Sorry.

curtc wrote:
Huh?
... you asked

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lumpfuggit wrote:
Just saying ok, I got it.

Oh. I read your response as "I got you", as in "I trapped/tricked/caught you." I was genuinely confused.

Lumpfuggit wrote:
Either way you were simply bashing someone's own and unique suggestion.

Now I'm back to "huh?". I was totally surprised by the suggestion and asked an honest question of "why". To which there was no response. The only reply in 2.5 years (until yours) was a thank you for my suggestion. Not sure why you're so antagonistic. Happy Holidays?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerod S.
United States
Mount Vernon
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Happy Holidays?

I'm not PC... So, Merry Christmas! ☺️

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.