Shannon Townsend
msg tools
Now that I've had a good week to pour through game play with my hubs and do some research, I'm really enjoying the game. But we noticed, no matter who was playing it, the Twilight/Applejack deck was really tough to utilize. I bought a box of boosters when the game came out and mercifully had them sorted by type and power ability so it was easy to go through and adjust.

We have the deck pretty nicely balanced now but I was curious if anyone else has had this problem. Also I have only played it against the Rarity/Dash deck as I haven't been able to get my hands on a Fluttershy/Pinkie one yet. We did make a few friend and troublemaker tweaks to the Dash deck too.

Am I the only one who's noticed this? Maybe I'm just crazy. arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacq L
New Zealand
flag msg tools
What are YOU lookin at?
badge
poof
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you been using the Marvelous Chapeau card as written? There's an errata that states it should reduce the cost by -1, not reduce it to 1. That might help the balance a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fox
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the TwiJack deck pretty solid, actually. Admittedly I've been mainly forced to play that one as my mate demanded playing the RariDash one, but we've had some pretty close matches. Twilight's pretty easy to flip which makes her really useful, and there's plenty of good cards in the base set.

And yeah, playing Marvellous Chapeau with the proper rule makes things a bit more even

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played 3 times and every time Twi got stomped. She hasn't gotten flipped even once and seems to me the hardest to flip out of the four. You only get 4 troublemakers in the theme decks so a] You can't even think about flipping until a trub is put into play and b] you then gotta beat it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Wood
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There seems to be 'get there' colors and 'support' colors.
Honesty, Laughter, and Kindness all get larger power bases, making them 'get there' colors. Generosity, Magic, and Loyalty have effects that make moving, and interacting with the board easier.

In all games we used Twilight in her starter, she lost (versus Rarity). We did use Applejack once versus Rainbow Dash and she won.

Studius is a harder effect to profit from and there is really no exhausting in the Theme Decks, so Stubborn doesn't come into play much. It will when Flam and Purple Parasprite drop down more frequently.

Also, Peter, there are 3 types of faceoffs. One is the Troublemaker one you mentioned, btu then there is Single and Double Problem Faceoffs. This is where she will flip more often.

EDIT: I found some commonalities plotting how best to flip Mane Characters.
The best choice for Mane Characters in those Theme Decks is Rarity/Applejack over Twilight Sparkle/Rainbow Dash.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1100983/pony-flipping-strate...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Chappell
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kc2dpt wrote:
We've played 3 times and every time Twi got stomped. She hasn't gotten flipped even once and seems to me the hardest to flip out of the four. You only get 4 troublemakers in the theme decks so a] You can't even think about flipping until a trub is put into play and b] you then gotta beat it.

I think you're thinking of Rainbow. She's the one who needs a troub to flip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drewchap wrote:
kc2dpt wrote:
You only get 4 troublemakers...

I think you're thinking of Rainbow. She's the one who needs a troub to flip.

Yeah, my mistake. That's what I get for doing it form memory.

RD just needs to confront a problem, with a TB present. Which is a pain given there's only 4 in my deck. But once I get it out there it's trivially easy to get the flip. Twi's is the most difficult in the theme decks in my opinion. You gotta get a face off situation going and then you need to win it. Against an easy trub is fine but against a tough trub or against an opponent who's deck just works faster... not fine at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Townsend
msg tools
Jacqland wrote:
Have you been using the Marvelous Chapeau card as written? There's an errata that states it should reduce the cost by -1, not reduce it to 1. That might help the balance a bit.

Wowzers that's a HUGE difference. Though admittedly the last game we played with the adjusted deck, it barely came into play. He managed to get 2 troublemakers out on me at once, and they were damn hard to get rid of. Yay... cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played again tonight, me RD, she AJ. Again I won by a large margin. Though I have to say out of 4 faceoffs I won 3 but they were always so close that it was the luck of the draw that gave it to me.

At this point we're waiting for the Pinkie Pie/Fluttershy decks to arrive in the mail so we can try something else. The game is alright, but it's just too one-sided right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Chappell
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure you're making good use of Lady Justice in the Twilight decks. She's just about unstoppable once you get her out.

Another thing I've been trying is slapping Twilight and any higher strength purple or red character down on an opponent's starting problem to force a problem face-off and flip her. This works great because you don't have to wait for both your colors to come out if you get Lady Justice and/or Blue Moon out pretty early.

And, as already mentioned, you can force a double problem face-off pretty early with 2 starting problems and flip Twilight if you're confident of winning.

I've found Twilight/Applejack to be a slow burn kind of deck. Once you get her flipped and your higher strength characters out, you shoot from around 5 points to the teens really fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Townsend
msg tools
I just got my hands on the Pinkie/Fluttershy pack today after finding it randomly at a game store at the mall (though I have a couple more reserved at another game store so I'll probably take what I've got preordered for the sake of building more decks). Flipping through the cards, wowzers Pinkie can be dangerous. I kind of want to make a Pinkie/Fluttershy deck (Yay Screwy!) for fun, or a Pinkie/Dash deck although my current Dashity deck is kind of nasty in a lovely way.

Watched some interesting game play with Fluttershy the other night and I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised with how well the critters work to her advantage.

Also YES on Lady Justice! Made some alterations to our decks and they are playing much more evenly now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.