United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so I've been exponentially building up my collection of Feld games since Christmas, and here's where I'm at:

Own and love: Castles of Burgundy, Trajan, Macao, Bora Bora, Amerigo

Arriving soon in the mail: Bruges and Rialto

Thinking about getting: In The Year of the Dragon, Luna, Notre Dame

I've pretty much already decided that I want to get Luna, but what I'm wondering is if Year of the Dragon and Notre Dame are worth getting? Not trying to be a completionist so much as I just really enjoy playing his games. I know these two are a few years old now, but I'm wondering if their designs have been improved upon by other games or if they're still unique enough to be worth owning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Byers
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play In the Year of the Dragon against AI http://www.silvermask.co.uk/dragon2.swf

It's a pretty sweet game but I feel it becomes a wee bit repetitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had Notre Dame and I enjoyed it for about 10 to 15 plays. Then I sold it. I would say that if you enjoy Rialto, Notre Dame is unnecessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Notre Dame is very good. It gets better with the expansion cards available in the Alea Treasure chest expansion, which also gives you a mini expansion for In the Year of the Dragon.

My order of buying them if I were in your shoes:

Luna
Notre Dame
In the Year of the Dragon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link Rob I'll read over the rules and try that tonight.

David, how does Rialto make Notre Dame unnecessary? I'm not an expert on either game, but they both seemed pretty different at a glance.

Jeff, I probably won't go after the expansions unless I can get them for a good deal. I agree with your order in buying the games though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:
Thanks for the link Rob I'll read over the rules and try that tonight.

David, how does Rialto make Notre Dame unnecessary? I'm not an expert on either game, but they both seemed pretty different at a glance.

Jeff, I probably won't go after the expansions unless I can get them for a good deal. I agree with your order in buying the games though

Yeah, they are different. Notre Dame you are playing cards to manage influence in your own city quarter. In Rialto you are playing cards to manage influence on a shared board. True the mechanics are very different, but I get a vaguely similar feel from both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Duvall
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered Speicherstadt, which stands on its own with different mechanics (Dutch auction, contract fulfillment, set collection, money management). It is available on Amazon at a VERY good price. Kaispeicher (expansion in German) really completes the game (but you may need to get it from amazon.de). Despite the poll on BGG, I find it plays very well with two. If you like "point salad" games this is a good choice with different mechanics. It was the gateway to Feld for my family so it holds a special place with us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
I dismissed The Speicherstadt because I'm not the biggest fan of auction games, but I'll give it another look

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played that many Feld games, but of the 4 I did play, my order would be:

Castles of Burgundy
In the year of the dragon
Trajan
Bora Bora

In the year of the dragon is shorter and less complex than his newer games and less of a "point salad", but it felt more unique and innovative than bora Bora to me. Bora Bora really bored me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:
I dismissed The Speicherstadt because I'm not the biggest fan of auction games, but I'll give it another look

Nor me, but I like this one.

Susie_Cat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Year of the Dragon is an excellent game, but definitely not to everyone's tastes. Feld often has some sort of "if you fail to do ____ you will receive a penalty" mechanic, but in ItYotD (what an abbreviation...) the game has a lot of penalizing going on.

It's more about trying to deal with the bad things that are frequently happening to you and trying to build up something despite that, and that can be frustrating sometimes. Overall I like it but I would recommend you try before you buy (and I don't think it's hard to find).

Luna is hard to find in North America since the release here was tiny. You can find imported copies much more readily.

Several people in my group feel that Notre Dame is his best game (I'm not one of them, but I do really enjoy it still). It's a mix of card drafting and board opportunity control, and they mesh very nicely. The game is often said to be best with three, as otherwise you won't be interacting with some of the players at the table all that much.

It's out of print in North America right now so copies are beginning to rise in price, but I think there are enough out there that it won't become excessively expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.