Hide
9 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: OP Event Ships/Cards in Official Expansions Packs? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George W
msg tools
So, is there any plans on eventually making the OP event cards and ships available for purchase through regular means (i.e. expansion sets)?

Currently, they are pretty difficult to get depending on where you live. They are also undoubtedly top tier for "competitive" play. This gives a large advantage to players who have OP event ships/cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hotdogtesting wrote:
So, is there any plans on eventually making the OP event cards and ships available for purchase through regular means (i.e. expansion sets)?

Currently, they are pretty difficult to get depending on where you live. They are also undoubtedly top tier for "competitive" play. This gives a large advantage to players who have OP event ships/cards.

I have one of every competitive prize and I have played against the best cards from all the packs except the Sutherland. I can assure you they are not required for competitive play. Our last tournament had exactly 1 card from competitive prize support, total in all lists. The card was Barrage of Fire and the build finished next to last.

As far as just plain wanting them, I can't help you there. I don't know what their plans are.

At least I can assure you that you are not at a competitive disadvantage by not owning them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghost Runner
msg tools
mb
Tacullu64 wrote:
At least I can assure you that you are not at a competitive disadvantage by not owning them.

For 3 of the 4 prize packs, I could probably agree with that statement.

The Ch'Tang, however, is a pretty lethal set, and if you don't own it you at least have to plan on defending against it. (If no one you play against has it either, then most of the problem is solved.)

The Participation prizes, however, add a lot of options to the game. Command Tokens, and the Flagship Cards (maybe) are pretty important in a lot of builds.

To answer the OP question, none of the design team has commented directly on the issue (to my knowledge), so maybe it hasn't been decided.

It might also be the case that they will recycle the participation prizes for the Borg Collective event, figuring anyone that missed them the first time will try to find a way to get them then (or pay ebay prices as the supply increases).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghostrunner wrote:
Tacullu64 wrote:

For 3 of the 4 prize packs, I could probably agree with that statement.

The Ch'Tang, however, is a pretty lethal set, and if you don't own it you at least have to plan on defending against it. (If no one you play against has it either, then most of the problem is solved.)

People say that a lot, but it's not that hard to build up a huge attack via other means.

IRW Valdore
+ Captain Valdore
+ Flagship (Romulan)
+ All Forward Disruptor Banks (talent slot from the flagship)

Some other Romulan ship
+ Donatra

When Valdore fires, he could roll out:

4 base attack
+1 from Flagship
+1 from Green Movement
+1 from Outside of Front Arc Valdore Captain
+1 from All Forward Disruptor Banks
+1 from Range 1
+1 from Donatra
+1 from Strike Force
= 11 Atk Dice

Pretty much blows the doors off any 'barrage of fire' attack, and best thing is that you can do this every turn (just remember to re-activate 'forward disruptors' as your action each turn and watch your positioning), while 'barrage of fire' is a use-it-once-and-discard upgrade.

That's just one example, of course - there are LOTS of options to build up massive attacks, if that is your goal. The Ch'tang is hardly required for it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghost Runner
msg tools
mb
BoF isn't the only issue...

-Ch'Tang's reroll ability
-Level 9 Martok
-Shield Emitters (a bit weak, but has a few applications)

None of these is a game breaker... but the biggest advantage is that together these can give you a very powerful pre-emptive strike against any other ship (except Kirk or Picard on a Fed ship).

At range 2, you are almost certain to roll at least 9 dice, with a reroll.

All for a rather low investment.

This has been debated over and over, and there's no right answer.

But I personally don't agree with the general argument that not having access to the prizes (or even the chance to compete for them) isn't an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghostrunner wrote:
BoF isn't the only issue...

-Ch'Tang's reroll ability
-Level 9 Martok
-Shield Emitters (a bit weak, but has a few applications)

None of these is a game breaker... but the biggest advantage is that together these can give you a very powerful pre-emptive strike against any other ship (except Kirk or Picard on a Fed ship).

At range 2, you are almost certain to roll at least 9 dice, with a reroll.

All for a rather low investment.

This has been debated over and over, and there's no right answer.

But I personally don't agree with the general argument that not having access to the prizes (or even the chance to compete for them) isn't an issue.

I like the Ch'Tang and have used it in 2 tournament builds. I know people who used it once and won't use it again because it's to fragile.

I also used Martok in a tournament build once. I felt I needed a Klingon 9 skill captain. The Martok available commercially is hands down better and you can only use one of them.

You left out Defense Condition One which is a nice card.

None of these cards are necessary to be competitive in OP events.

The only issue I see is that of wanting the ships and cards. If you want them and can't get them it sucks. There is always eBay, but not everybody can justify dropping $50+ on a single ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
We have this thread every couple weeks, and it comes down to this, at least in my view:

(1) Based on past practices regarding tourney prizes for other Wizkids games, the specific, named ships and upgrades are very unlikely to be retail releases.

(2) It is entirely possible that different ships of the same sculpt/class with different upgrades will be released, as 3/6 OP1 models (so far) are duplicates of current or future retail releases.

(3) Some LE upgrades and components are powerful and more options is always better than fewer, but it is not strictly necessary at this point to possess LE releases to compete in the OP environment. As TO for my venue and as a participant and others, rarely have I seen a case of a build possessing LE elements categorically outperform ones that only use retail releases. Most recently at OP4 2-ship retail only (Sutherland wasn't legal yet) federation builds took 1st and second at my venue, beating out at least two other contenders using lists that included Barrage of Fire.

(4) While I understand it rankles the completists and is unfortunate for the people who don't have a nearby venue, I think the draw of unique and limited prizes is part of what has so far at least from what I can tell anecdotally driving a thriving competitive scene with great turnout, a dynamic metagame, and enthusiastic players. Frankly, I think that alternate art and little bits and bobs the way X-Wing does things would not generate near as much excitement.

Anyway, I'm going to keep this up my sleeve and post in when we have another one of these threads in a couple weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Vulcan
msg tools
mbmb
I agree, the tournament cards are nice, however they are not needed.
Some of the best cards are:
barrage of fire / romulan pilot which are very good cards overall, however not overpowered. Yes, the chtang is good, however it is not needed.

For instance,
I have won around 6 out of the 9ish tournaments that I have played so far and only in two of those wins did I use any of the cards from the tournament prizes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Gould
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Personally, I have no problem with the unique ship/sculpts. I do, however, hope that the upgrades show up again through some other means. They don't make good "trophies", and are far more useful gameplay-wise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.