Subject: How long does this game really take? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mad Tiest

Maastricht
Netherlands
msg tools
mb
This game looks very interesting due to the combination of economy and military. Controlling different nations throughout the game also seems really cool.

However, the real playing time seems to deviate quite a bit from the official 120 minutes. In the poll many people voted that the game takes longer than 150 minutes, but how much longer exactly? Is the game playable within 3 hours with 4-5 players who think their decisions through?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With rational players, 2ish hours. When n > 1 players play like it's a game of Risk rather than an economic game (those players will *always* lose), it can take 3-5 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3h with 5p without AP by my experience
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It has been a fairly steady 150-180 minutes here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
First game might go a little over 3 as players learn their way around, but it will likely come in under that with replay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4 players: 2 hours
6 players: 3 hours

Add an hour for the first few games for everyone.

A fine game which is worth the time invested!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
DPO
US Armed Forces - Pacific
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don Smith wrote:
4 players: 2 hours
6 players: 3 hours

Add an hour for the first few games for everyone.

A fine game which is worth the time invested!

Agreed. The first few plays will be a bit longer, but we've consistently kept it in the 2.5 - 3 hour range without a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian V.
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We are at 45-60 minutes per player. Our longest play was about 5.5 hours with 5 players due to many negotiations (which was the best experience with this game so far). Experienced players, I may add.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Tiest

Maastricht
Netherlands
msg tools
mb
Thanks a lot for the responses. I agree the game is probably worth the time investment, and 3 hours would be fine. The reports of 3-5hrs and 5.5 hrs are a bit worrying. I like to play more than a single game in a night. Maybe I'll just have to take my chances and hope people will learn not to play to aggressively and prolong the game. Or maybe there are some ways to decrease the game length if need be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MadTiest wrote:
Thanks a lot for the responses. I agree the game is probably worth the time investment, and 3 hours would be fine. The reports of 3-5hrs and 5.5 hrs are a bit worrying. I like to play more than a single game in a night. Maybe I'll just have to take my chances and hope people will learn not to play to aggressively and prolong the game. Or maybe there are some ways to decrease the game length if need be?

As far as changing the length, if you really wanted to do that the easiest way would probably be to pick a spot lower down on the power track to trigger the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Collins
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With 5 and 6 players my group can finish between 2 and 2.5 hours. Key is to not get too bogged down in "risk" actvities on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Tiest

Maastricht
Netherlands
msg tools
mb
blueatheart wrote:
With rational players, 2ish hours. When n > 1 players play like it's a game of Risk rather than an economic game (those players will *always* lose), it can take 3-5 hours.

Several of you have said that playing the game as if it is risk prolongs the game and does not help you win. Is it common for players to do this? If attacking too much doesn't help you win, is the military part still important? I was hoping this game has a good mix of aspects, and not only economy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Collins
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience is that military is important, but it is not a war game. Its a means to an end, which is gaining territories to tax the nation you are controlling. The taxation increases the power of the nation, which makes it more attractive for other players to buy into, because the higher the power the higher the payout at the end of the game. The winner is not the player who won the most wars, but the one who managed to buy bonds into the nations that pay out the most at the end of the game. "Risk-like" activities prolong the game because they do not move the game forward, which is what taxation does (increases the power of the nation), which is the game's timer. If you are looking for a war game, this may not be it. But it is a great game, that will see opportunistic battles that can swing the game unexpectedly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Tiest

Maastricht
Netherlands
msg tools
mb
j41c wrote:
My experience is that military is important, but it is not a war game. Its a means to an end, which is gaining territories to tax the nation you are controlling. The taxation increases the power of the nation, which makes it more attractive for other players to buy into, because the higher the power the higher the payout at the end of the game. The winner is not the player who won the most wars, but the one who managed to buy bonds into the nations that pay out the most at the end of the game. "Risk-like" activities prolong the game because they do not move the game forward, which is what taxation does (increases the power of the nation), which is the game's timer. If you are looking for a war game, this may not be it. But it is a great game, that will see opportunistic battles that can swing the game unexpectedly.

That does sound interesting. However, I wonder about the 'enexpectedly' element. I had a look at the rules and it seems that all information other than how much money everyone has is public. Battle are also entirely deterministic and do no include card play or dice. So how surprising can the game be? I'm guessing some surprises can still come when player A chooses to attack C instead of B, or spend his money to gain control of another players nation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a perfect information game, even the money everyone has can be remembered
If everyone does the same thing, the game will play out in the same way
But then, who but the winner hopes everyone plays the same way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Collins
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experiences, the surprises are not only when you control A and attack C instead of B, but controlling A, then taking control of B to attack C. Another interesting thing is that early in the game you may control nation A, but by midgame you are attacking nation A because you no longer have a controlling interest in it and those who have more interest in it will gain more than you. Wait until you start building up a nation to attack nation B only to have someone else take control of your nation, strip it of all its money, or attack nation C or D instead of what you were thinking. That is when it gets interesting...at least it is for our group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward B.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MadTiest wrote:
This game looks very interesting due to the combination of economy and military. Controlling different nations throughout the game also seems really cool.

However, the real playing time seems to deviate quite a bit from the official 120 minutes. In the poll many people voted that the game takes longer than 150 minutes, but how much longer exactly? Is the game playable within 3 hours with 4-5 players who think their decisions through?

My first few games with 3-4 players took around 4-5 hours.

Now I usually get through a game in about 3 hours or so. I can't see finishing a game in two hours, but I usually take my time. Not to the point of analysis paralysis, but I'm not trying to beat the clock, either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4 players played this last night for the first time and it took 4 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.