Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't seem to grasp how these various aspects go together. When playing a Chapter, it seems you set up a tile per the Icons on it and draw a card.

For an Act, I'm less clear.

For a Story, seems it's all laid out in the book. I noticed one Story, however, doesn't mention Lairs or Monsters. Do you use the tile Icons as well?

Maybe I'm just thick, and maybe I'll understand better once the cards are in hand, but if someone could give an example of a set up of each I'd appreciate it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More a tangential comment rather than a direct answer, but here is a comment from Brian in another thread that discusses Acts, Chapters, and Stories in a slightly different context:
BShotton wrote:
Yeah, to be honest, we feel this is the part of the game that is MOST different (and the most scary). It is also why I provide numerous tips and notes trying to ease the minds of those a little shaken by the potential enormity of this particular sandbox. However, I will say, we are very cognizant of these issues, which is why the choices in the base game are more limiting. Kickstarter backers will be tempted to use some of the stretch goal monsters right away, and we would advise against this in the first couple games where you need to learn.

However, we provide uber-structure (like most other dungeon games) in the Story quests. Act quests provide moderate structure. Chapter quests and the free-form adventuring provide very little structure, which is why this is used as an example in the setup doc.

We find the biggest advantage in the setup is the ability to scale on the fly the difficulty of a tile. Perhaps you are playing with a group that isn't quite as good, then scale it back. A group that is hard-core? Then increase it.

You'll find Myth can give as good as it gets. The game can be absolutely vicious (by design), or offer an enjoyable story-telling cooperative dungeon romp. And in both cases, the play is fun.

In the end, when you PLAY it, you will find it is much easier than you think. Even in free form play, the decisions are not as numerous as you fear. Tiles tend to limit choices, both in size and environment (because the art). Many chapter quests dictate monster types, tiles, or embellishment.

We don't throw you in the deep end, as much as show you there is a deep end. Where you swim is up to you? You can stay with structured quests and you'll have plenty of gameplay.

For KS backers, there are 16 Story quests, and 24 Act quests. You can also take any of the chained Chapter quests and "link" them together ahead of time, assign tiles and monster, and play them as an Act quest. There are 18 or so chained Chapter quests encompassing more than 75 individual quests.

There is a lot of room for you to learn the game. Get comfortable with how you want to play it, and proceed accordingly. We will provide our community with the tools to create quest content, so there should be a lot of choices for quests in whatever vein you like to play as the game moves forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I had sent that. I'm just having trouble putting together how the actual mechanics work...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I will try to explain it, i think you are taking the problem in the wrong way.

You can choose to make 2 kind of game.

1° Use one of the preset Story (5in the base game). Then you won't use individual Act Quests, but predetermined Acts, these special acts are not on quest cards but on the manual, they use a preset tile list, with maybe some more instructions like all Lairs are Iathi, or don't setup traps in these tiles.
Take the first tile of the Story, read the icons, then do the setup. Since on these icons you may have Chapter quest you will use them. So you can do a Story about a specific topic and some Chapter quest about something else. If the chapter quest you draw don't fit the story (you are underground with your story and suddendly need to be in a Tavern in the chapter Quest you can just draw another chapter quest).

Chapter quest are "little" quests, they are local to one tile (99% of the time), and can be combined with Story Quests.

2° If you choose not to do Story quest. you have 2 solutions again.

a) be really really free, choose 1 tile do the setup, then when you finish it choose another one until you are done (whenever you want), this can be chosen for a very short session. Or if you want to do a chapter chain quest (a serie of linked chapter quest with scenario fork if you succed the quest you can do the quest A or if you fail do the quest B) from the first one to the last.

b) And you can do an Act Quest. The setup of the Acts will be more specific, they can be precise like you will setup a 6x6 then a 12x12 then... with a NPC running from the first time to the last, if you catch him before he leave the last one you can do that, if you fail this happen etc.
Or they can be a little more free, like on all the tiles you must only use Crawlers (the reason is in the background text) and on the last tile of your session you have to use at least 2 lairs with a mini boss named Joe etc.
Act Quest are between stories and chapter, they run through several tiles but are less precise in the setup than Stories.

And of course (like in stories) you can have Chapter Quest poping during the Act Quest you are doing if the Tile you chose make you play one.

Is that clearer?

The system is made to be very modular, then you will have sometimes incoherent elements between story (or Act) and chapter, when this happens just draw another card until something fit what you are playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somewhat. So even when playing Story Quests you follow the Tile set up icons?

Also, if you're playing an Act or Story, how do Chapter Quests come into it? When the Tile calls for it?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes you always follow the icons unless the Act or Story your are playing telling you not to.

The Chapter quest come into play if there is a Chapter Quest icon on the tile you are installing (see the icon section of the manual).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It'll probably make a lot more sense once everything's in front of me. I think I get it, but I'm more of an analog guy!...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The confusing part in my mind is that in storytelling terms, a Story is made up of Acts, which are in turn made up of Chapters. The terminology used in the game seems to confuse this structure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zpeteman wrote:
The confusing part in my mind is that in storytelling terms, a Story is made up of Acts, which are in turn made up of Chapters. The terminology used in the game seems to confuse this structure.

They use the same hierarchy though, Chapters are the smallest unit, consisting of a single tile, Acts are larger, consisting of multiple tiles, basically a 2 hour play session, and Stories are multiple play sessions long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Endevor,

You did a great job explaining again, and that description actually makes me feel much better about the freeform questing, that it's not necessarily something you have to do in the game. Thanks for your insight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
zpeteman wrote:

They use the same hierarchy though, Chapters are the smallest unit, consisting of a single tile, Acts are larger, consisting of multiple tiles, basically a 2 hour play session, and Stories are multiple play sessions long.

Ah, okay. Maybe it's because I haven't been able to hold it in my hands, but for some reason I was interpreting the Story quests as smaller than Act quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Stories are 3 acts joined together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillis
Canada
Killam
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Endeavor, we appreciate all the clarification you provide. I went back and re-read the tile section of the rule book and it all made perfect sense. Drawing chapter quests only on certain tiles was very clear. Having options of one thing or another in some cases. In other cases, if you choose a certain tile you are comitting to a certain element. I also noticed how crazy you can become (or in Brian's analogy, how deep the pool can get) when you start placing tiles next to each other. I think the dawn is slowly rising on how epic it can all become.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No problem, i translated more than 90% of the game manual myself, and we had a lot of discussion between us, we had time to think about it.

And i am doing that to free Brian some time so he can answer my very long email with tons of questions

I still remember all the complaints from my teammate in our first session. "Oh no don't add this kind of monster we are all going to die!!!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Shotton
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Endeavor has been a wonderful asset. As you can see, this project is quite large with a lot of moving parts. Having an extra set of eyes as sharp as Endeavors has been a blessing.

We were able to meet at Essen. What a great guy!

Endeavor- I am answering your questions right now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My not so subtle evil plan obviously worked!

Except no one knows how to write my nickname
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I must say i was not alone at all to do all this translation, i would not be able to translate and make the corrections of 80 pages of manual and more than 500 cards by myself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yert Draagnaj
msg tools
mb
Question regarding the Mad King - we just finished the first tile and had done a chapter quest (The Just-Okay Hunt) which is ongoing, when we move to the second tile, it states we start a chapter quest - does this mean starting a new one, or do old ones satisfy it. Same thing would be if we fled a tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.