5 Posts

Alcatraz: The Scapegoat» Forums » Variants

Subject: Alcatraz: The Scapegoat (house rule) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristian Mitchell-Dolby
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Got Alcatraz: The Scapegoat for Christmas and it fits our group rather well but I'm not sure on the rule that scapegoat is still allowed to escape at the end of the game. Means that if there is a clear escape party they can assign the scapegoat amongst themselves in order to avoid them messing with them too much. Also means that being the scapegoat you can still negotiate a deal in order to be part of the escape party.

I think it's more interesting if the scapegoat has to be assigned as the person to be left behind so you know you definitely cannot win if you are the scapegoat which enhances the need to mess with the others and give the person to be left behind an advanced warning and slight advantage in the final round. So makes sense to assume that if the escape fails then the scapegoat at the time effectively wins having cut a deal to shorten their sentence or whatever by effectively turning in the others.

Was wondering if anyone else had thought about these variants to spice the game up a bit? Or any other thoughts on the game. The end game as it's written does seem to lack a little drama.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General Gaming to Alcatraz: The Scapegoat : Variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Szymon Pobudkiewicz
Poland
flag msg tools
In my version the rules say that scapegoat can't escape, unless I've read them wrong. But that's the only logical way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
mesiash wrote:
In my version the rules say that scapegoat can't escape, unless I've read them wrong. But that's the only logical way

In the first edition rules the sequence goes like this:

1) Can all the elements of the plan be completed by the players without the scapegoat? If yes, they win, scapegoat loses.

2) Can all the elements of the plan be completed by the players if the scapegoat is included, and someone else is left out? If so, the players who can complete the plan win, and those who are unnecessary lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
KristianJMD wrote:

Was wondering if anyone else had thought about these variants to spice the game up a bit? Or any other thoughts on the game. The end game as it's written does seem to lack a little drama.

I don't necessarily care for the scapegoat winning and everyone else losing, but it might work for your group. I like that the game has the balance of encouraging everyone to work together, else EVERYONE will lose - but you want to work together selfishly. There's plenty of incentive to mess with the plan every time you are scapegoat - adding more incentive would just bog the game down I think.

To me, a lot of the strategy is timing when you will be scapegoat, so you can set the team up for success and then use your tie-break ability to put the right person into the scapegoat position while you enjoy escape...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.