Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar» Forums » General

Subject: Problem with the big central wheel rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dyvim tanelorn
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a copy of Tzolk'in (the new one, with the board in 6 pieces, not the old with 4 pieces).
I have a problem: the big central gear seems not "flat". The spikes of the big gear seems not all at the same level, so they don't intersect with all the spikes of the other little gears (and so one of the other gears don't rotate, the one that doesn't rotate isn't always the same, it depends on the position of the central gear). If I press with my hand on the big gear while rotating it, the spikes stay low, so they intersect with all the other gears and everything rotate, but if I simply rotate the big gear there is always a part that has "higher" spikes that don't touch the spikes of one of other gears. I don't understand if the big gear is warped or if the board is warped. Does someone other have the same problem? And, if yes, you solve it and how?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our gears seem consistent, though the new board is a bit buckled and we've had to press on the gear (and hold parts of the board) to keep everything at the right level to "work". Might just see if the company will replace the gears, or you could always resort to home remedies and put 'em all in the oven on a flat cookie sheet for a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy had a warped central wheel, this was easily fixed by submerging it for a few minutes in hot water. Just make sure that you use a pan with a large enough surface for the whole wheel to lay flat.

If this is not the case for you, perhaps try these steps:
http://czechgames.com/en/assemble/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dyvim tanelorn
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your replies! I will try the hot water trick if I managed to detach the gear from the board...
I think that I have the same problem as Victor, I have to press the gear and hold the board to make the mechanism works rotating all gears.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow!

This new 6-piece board sounds like a BUMMER!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-matt s.
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
/geeklist/240879
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tanelorn wrote:
Thank you for your replies! I will try the hot water trick if I managed to detach the gear from the board...
I think that I have the same problem as Victor, I have to press the gear and hold the board to make the mechanism works rotating all gears.

If you insert a butter knife gently under the gear and slide toward the center, then twist slightly the gear should release. I did it a couple of times myself. If you don't have the sticker on the center, be sure to cover/hold the center plastic piece or it will fly across the room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dyvim tanelorn
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I examined well the board and the gears and it is evident that the problem is in the big gear: it is warped. I didn't manage to unmount it (even using a knife, it seemed that I was tearing the board or breaking the little white plastic piece so I stopped), so the only solution is the Victor one: to press on the gear (and hold parts of the board) to keep everything at the right level to "work". A little disappointing, to be honest :(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len K
United States
Westford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You were expecting something witty?
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to state the obvious, but have you emailed Czech Games (or Rio Grande, or whoever the Italian publisher is) to describe your problem and ask for a replacement?

I had a 'first edition' 4-piece folding board, which started to fall apart.... I emailed Rio Grande and they shipped me a new 6-panel board the next day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dyvim tanelorn
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try, thanks :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dyvim tanelorn
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I managed to unmount the gear, the board stays flat, but now I'm sure that the problem is that the big central gear is warped (it looks so:

)
I tried the hot water trick, but it didn't work. I wrote CGE to ask for a substution.
Does someone have a big central gear like mine?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, would the old 'stuff between the mattress and the box springs' trick work to flatten it out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dyvim tanelorn
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, it's the first thing I tried :(
Anyway CGE told me that they will send a substitute gear :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dyvim tanelorn
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Substitute gear received and not it works perfectly :) !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Prosser
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My central gear was REALLY warped. Very carefully I used a heat gun normally used for stripping paint. I kept a good distance and provided plenty of movement. Eventually the wheel started to flatten. The only remaining problem is the white pegs pass straight through the middle of it. A washer is the current solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United States
Covington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tanelorn wrote:
I managed to unmount the gear, the board stays flat, but now I'm sure that the problem is that the big central gear is warped (it looks so:

)
I tried the hot water trick, but it didn't work. I wrote CGE to ask for a substution.
Does someone have a big central gear like mine?

I just got my copy last week and my center gear is exactly like yours. It has been extremely frustrating! I will be contacting CGE for a replacement gear as well. Thanks for posting this, I'm glad I wasn't the only one with that problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dyvim tanelorn
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you appreciated my post :) !
They sent me a replacement and everything worked correctly, so I think in some day you will be able to play :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Dieteren
Netherlands
Rhenen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three of the six parts of my board are bended.
So I send an email to CGE: support@czechgames.com.
They did reply within a day and they've promised me to send me a complete new board.
Great service of CGE!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.