Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

This game continues to be on my radar but from what I understand all 4 characters have to be played no matter what. My wife and I both prefer to control 1 character each.

Is it feasible to play with just 2 characters or will we start to hit a difficulty wall once we get to higher chapters and/or the expansion? Any easy tweaks to make 2 characters as powerful as 4? Or make the game scalable based on the number of players like most other co-ops?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Channell
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really. The game has been balanced for a certain number of characters for each mission. In some quests, there is a requirement to use all six mice. Besides, you normally don't use the same mice in each adventure and should mix them up as you continue with the story.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the way to make it more scalable with fewer players is (depending on the number of players) generally to have a number of players play more than one mouse so that the number of mice for the chapter is satisfied.

If you only play 2 mice, the difficulty starts from the get go, not later on in chapters. The fewer the mice, the more attacks they will face and more chances of them getting captured. Usually if one mouse gets captured, the other 3 have to be careful to position themselves and take certain actions so that another one doesn't get captured as well. But with only 2 mice, that becomes incredibly difficult. Each time a mouse gets captured, the hourglass moves up one and generally there are only 5 or 6 spaces it can advance before losing the game. But capture isn't the only way it moves, because there will be surges that cause it to move as well. Also, and more importantly is the fact if at any time all of your mice are captured at the same time, you lose. So it will be much easier to get both mice captured at the same time, than it would with 4.

Also, you will often need the different skills/abilities of different mice, so having more choices available is very helpful.

Controlling more than one mouse isn't difficult at all, so that would be my suggestion if only 2 players are going to play. I haven't seen any threads about people modifying the game to accommodate only 2 mice being played. Though that's not to say someone hasn't done it, but it would probably require a bit of tinkering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chudley wrote:
Not really. The game has been balanced for a certain number of characters for each mission. In some quests, there is a requirement to use all six mice. Besides, you normally don't use the same mice in each adventure and should mix them up as you continue with the story.

Hope this helps.

/sigh

It does. And I didn't know some quests require 6 mice either which further complicates things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing with 2 characters with the standard settings will make the game pretty difficult IMO.
I'd say the simplest way the adjust difficulty is just to push the chapter end page further (for example if the scenario setup says "Put End token on page 6", you put it on page 9). The game will be longer, but winnable.
Note: I much prefer controlling 1 character too, so I worried a bit about this at first. But M&M is pretty simple and there are not lots of bookkeeping or super-deep strategic planning. So using 2 characters per player is really not an issue. Plus, playing with the full cast fits better with the storytelling parts.

Edit : ninja'ed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bishop
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's worthwhile to point out that this game isn't terribly "deep." You're not micromanaging inventory, hands of cards, stats, major decisions, etc. for each mouse. There is no "private" information and concessions that you have to make when playing with less players. I play almost exclusively with two players and playing this way has not been an issue at all.

In short, managing multiple mice per player is not going to be a problem in this game. Unless there's a reason you're dead set against it, I don't think you're going to find that it impacts your enjoyment of the game.

It's not Descent, Mage Knight, Shadows Over Camelot, etc. I'd hate for you to miss out on this game over player concerns. It plays beautifully with any number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that this is NOT a pseudo-RPG style dungeoncrawler.

You do not have a personal character in M&M. You are essentially playing through an unfolding story wherein some characters may be required, some may be prohibited.

It is though perfectly playable with 2 players dividing the mice amongst themselves and sticking to that roster throughout.

Example, for our 2 player session we are each taking three mice. I have Collin, Maginos and Tilda while the other player is running Nez, Filch and Lily.

If you want a more in depth mostly spoiler free rundown then PM me here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind house rules, I guess you could try the following when playing only two mice:

- add 3 to each mouse's life value

- allow one additional action during each mouse's turn

- select one additional class for each mouse

This could balance combat and access to specific abilities, since it essentially turns each mouse into two mice. I haven't tried it, but if this sounds good to you, I can give it a test run on Chapter I.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Looking for a Publisher for a Grand Strategic all fronts WW2 card game
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly play M&M solo as my group do not like this game.

Managing more than 1 mouse is relatively easy.

Owll
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add to the chorus, my girlfriend and I play with two mice a piece. Never had any issues with it.

Fun game. It's currently my girlfriend's favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arutha ConDoin
Belgium
Dilsen - Stokkem
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry! Controling more than 1 character is very easy in this game. I always play M&M with my 8yo daughter and even she doesn't have any problems controling 2 characters. The rules and actions are simple enough in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N F
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
My wife has never played anything like this before and she doesn’t like heavy games. It took literally two minutes to teach her to play and she is controlling two characters. She loves the game. These mice characters are very simple and fun to control. If you’ve ever played descent, this is much less complicated. M&M is age 7+ and Descent is 12+. Think about the difference in a 7 year old mind verses a 12 year old mind. Controlling 2 or 3 mice is like controlling 1 hero in descent. I personally don’t think it takes anything away from the game. I would suggest watching the “how to play” video at Plaid Hat Games. It might change your mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My five year old controls two mice without difficulty. Everything is really straightforward in this game. I wouldn't worry about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Axeelf Lombardin
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1166172/one-mouse-player/pag...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.