Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Dudley
United States
Simpsonville
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How have you been storing the pieces in the box? Also, did you remove the insert or not? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Easiest solution is to ditch the insert.

Next idea is to invert the insert, by either changing the direction of the flaps or just turning it upside down. This creates two wells with the center raised, and makes it easier to get everything in the box. Cards and tokens go in one side. The tiles + some tokens on the otherside, and the boards and such all on top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Valerio
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
www.rededejogos.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Insert is gone!

I bagged everything, including the setup for each player. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
You're either born a pirate or not! It's in the blood...
mbmbmbmbmb
Mezmorki wrote:
Easiest solution is to ditch the insert.

Next idea is to invert the insert, by either changing the direction of the flaps or just turning it upside down. This creates two wells with the center raised, and makes it easier to get everything in the box. Cards and tokens go in one side. The tiles + some tokens on the otherside, and the boards and such all on top.

As the designer you say, "...ditch the insert." or you advise us to bastardize the insert by flipping it or turning it inside out.

This compels me to ask, "Why wasn't it just manufactured that way in the first place?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Marx
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CapnYB wrote:
As the designer you say, "...ditch the insert." or you advise us to bastardize the insert by flipping it or turning it inside out.

This compels me to ask, "Why wasn't it just manufactured that way in the first place?"

Presumably empty space was minimized to protect the components during shipping - sorting everything out takes up more room, plus punched out tiles take more space than unpunched boards. I don't feel like this is an unusual occurrence in the board game world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd have to ask the publisher that one, I had no involvement with the design or planning of the insert. My guess is that it was kept simple to keep down the already high cost.

And the single center well was big enough to hold everything while providing maximum support for the stack of punch boards. Overall, it resulted in the least wiggle room inside the box, which is important when shipping, pallet icing, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stanfill
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, standard operating procedure for me is to ditch any white insert. They are designed to keep everything safe for shipping, and that's about it. I just bagged everything and keep all the flat stuff on the bottom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, without spending a lot of money on a vacuum tray, the simple cardboard insert is there mainly to protect the product during shipping.

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
You're either born a pirate or not! It's in the blood...
mbmbmbmbmb
Mezmorki wrote:
You'd have to ask the publisher that one, I had no involvement with the design or planning of the insert. My guess is that it was kept simple to keep down the already high cost.
Last time I checked the game box had Oliver Kiley printed on it above the title Hegemonic and featured much more prominently than the Minion Games logo elsewhere on the box. So you'll not be getting absolution from me on this issue.

I agree that the inserts should serve a utilitarian purpose to protect the game components during shipping. However, any product design element that does not contribute value to customer over the life of the product is considered waste.

My point is why doesn't the game industry do more to support sustainable designs?

I've done a cursory search and did not find a definitive thread on the subject. So pardon my thread-jack but hopefully it may lead to an ongoing dialogue on the topic.

Inserts that have one time or limited use, excess trim from the any punch boards, voids in the box that are not utilized, all have their fixed cost and they do not contribute value to the end customer.

On a square inch basis, it cost just as much to print the trim as it does to print the counters. One must not forget to include the incremental added weight and volumetric contributions these wasted components add to shipping cost. Finally, there is another cost that no one considers. All of the wasted components that no one wants or needs have to be disposed properly. Sure some of them can be reclaimed but most are not. Cumulatively, these components are significant contributors to the cost of the game at retail.

Packaging has a number of functions, I've stricken those which could be considered irrelevant to boardgames:

Protection
Prevent damage (mechanical protection)
Prevent spoilage (barrier to moisture, gases, light, flavours and aromas)
Prevent contamination, tampering and theft
Increase shelf life

Unitisation & Handling
Provision of consumer units
Provision of retail and transport units
Transport from producer to retailer
Point of sale display

Promotion
Description of product
Product features & benefits
Promotional messages and branding
List of ingredients

Information
Product identification
Product preparation and usage
Safety warnings
Contact information
End of life management (opportunity)
Nutritional and storage data
Opening instructions

Convenience
Product storage (opportunity)
Product preparation and serving
Portioning

Waste Reduction (HUGE opportunity)
Enables centralized processing and reuse of by-products
Facilitates portioning and storage
Increases shelf life (longevity, condition, resale)
Reduces transport energy

One of the reasons why games produced in the EU cost more to produce than games manufactured in non-EU countries is because of tougher environmental standards.

It would be interesting to learn how much savings could be returned to the stakeholders along the supply chain and ultimately the end game customers by eliminating all non-value added packaging and underutilized space from game designs.

Game publishers and designers will not make these things a priority until the customers apply the appropriate leverage. I'd like to see a segment of each game review dedicated to score carding the sustainability of the packaging. Provide feedback to the publishers and let them know you care about their carbon footprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"So you'll not be getting absolution from me on this issue."

Stopped when I got to this. Thanks for putting it at the beginning, otherwise I might've actually wasted some time reading the rest of that. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Spencer
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mb
Normally I put my pieces in Plano boxes, for this game I simply bagged up the colored pieces for all players and placed all baggies under/inside the sides of the insert. I kept the coins(bagged)and cards in the central well and placed game/player boards on top. Everything fits wonderfully this way with very little movement during storage and or transport. The player pieces are easy to grab for ease of getting the game up and going.

Again, normally I would have thrown out the insert and tried to get a plano box big enough to store all the bits. There are quite a few bits though so if you do go this route throwing out the base insert will be a must as the plano box required will be on the larger scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Hodge
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is especially challenging if you've got the Kickstarter version with the metal caps and the "velvet" bags. I'd love to keep the insert in to keep the cards/tiles nice and orderly, but I'll probably have to ditch it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.