Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb

Can anyone give me a synopsis of the difference in feel between solo/group play? Is solo a substantial "variation," or does the game pretty much play the same with a single player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Milloy
United States
Norwich
Vermont
flag msg tools
mb
I have only played once, but I can say that the game will be completely different with 1 player as opposed to multiple. What makes you think otherwise?

The entire game is based on moving in relation to other ships. If there are no other players moving their ships on the board, then you can plan exactly what you want to do, and do it in the optimal order. It also doesn't matter how long it takes you to get out, as you should always be able to get out in 5 rounds.

When the other ships do move, then turn order makes all the difference. Plus, it's a race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:

Can anyone give me a synopsis of the difference in feel between solo/group play? Is solo a substantial "variation," or does the game pretty much play the same with a single player?

The game mechanics are the same. The play feels the same as a two player game... except that your opponent, the Ghost Ship, is chaotic, and perhaps insane, and refuses to speak with you. arrrh

You will only have four rounds to escape instead of five. Good luck! Rules are in the files section btw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilloy wrote:
I have only played once, but I can say that the game will be completely different with 1 player as opposed to multiple. What makes you think otherwise?

The entire game is based on moving in relation to other ships. If there are no other players moving their ships on the board, then you can plan exactly what you want to do, and do it in the optimal order. It also doesn't matter how long it takes you to get out, as you should always be able to get out in 5 rounds.

When the other ships do move, then turn order makes all the difference. Plus, it's a race.

Were you aware that an opponent does move in the solo game? See the rulebook for the official variant to use the Ghost Ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, at least two of the other guys in my group are interested as well, so I'm checking with my local store to see if they have it or can get it.

Based on the review I looked at, this game seems easy-to-learn with a decent amount of "gameriness," which is exactly the kind of thing I look for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Milloy
United States
Norwich
Vermont
flag msg tools
mb
Oh yeah, I did forget about it. I guess that was obvious reading my post. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Watson
United States
Farmington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was continually amazed at how the ghost ship hosed over my best-laid plans when I played my first game solo. It took two 6 and 5 repulse cards on my last 2 cards to get to the warp gate. Then I played a game with my daughter and got smoked. Fun stuff if you can deal with the "swinginess".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Gallatin
TN
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I really feel Gravwell has one of the best solo variants of most recent games. The ghost ship will definitely wreak havoc with your plans. You deal two stacks of six cards, 5 face down and the last face up, choose a set for yourself, shuffle the ghost ship's pile, then play as normal. I have played more solo games than multi player games and have enjoyed each one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys. We may be trying this out in 4P this week at our group. I'll most likely grab this if I like the multi-player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.