Henry Ward
msg tools
mb
It may be obvious why there is no thread on 'Men and Gaming' but I am really interested in why men do like games so much. Thoughts....anecdotes....musings....much appreciated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Men and Gaming
This will not go well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Start it up Mcfly! Were going back!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lang
Germany
Gaißach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you take the common stereotype that has been around mainly through the Peases, then men like problem-solving and games usually consist of that a lot. I guess that's something that I actually do like about a game, having a set of mechanisms and using them to my best advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aldo Nova
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
For the chicks.

Gaming and rock-n-roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ward
msg tools
mb
Think I may need to clarify why I am interested......I'm not suggesting there should be a focus on men and gaming, only interested in why men think they like games in the first place? I'm involved in a conference and plan to talk a bit about men's relationship with board games.....I can do this anecdotally but am interested in others' views too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serena
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with this going sour soon. But still here is my female perspective:
Before being confronted on BGG with a male majority I never thought of board games as something more for man than for woman. And still if I go somewhere board game related in Germany I don't feel like I'm sticking out because I'm a woman. I don't know if I'm just not paying attention to it or if it's really different in Germany. But maybe it's also that a lot of female board game player don't talk about it on the internet and play most their games at home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan King
United States
Fairmount
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Men are competitive by nature. Since the beginning, man has set out to prove what he has is better than the next man. Hence, was the root of games. First, it was who killed the biggest saber tooth, then my woman is prettier than yours, then chariot races, gladiators, horse racing, hot rods, etc. Games are just another outlet for that competitive spirit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Irgendwer wrote:
But maybe it's also that a lot of female board game player don't talk about it on the internet and play most their games at home.

This is a good point. We know that BGG is dominated by men (90+%). But do we have any stats on who's playing 'our games'?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Men, at least in Western society, are more competitive than women.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/09/business/09scene.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it's an interactive past time. Like telling a story yet as such it does not involve looking at a TV screen or reading a book. You have role in the story being unraveled within the created framework of the world you choose.The endings of books never change. Early non-traditional game for me was Dungeons & Dragons. Like the myths of old we usually seek to perform at heroic levels and fight against evil. So I guess power and fame.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."
~ Plato
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
This will not go well.
Anybody taking odds on how many pages this thing will get to before things head south?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serena
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
muskrat39 wrote:
Men are competitive by nature. Since the beginning, man has set out to prove what he has is better than the next man. Hence, was the root of games. First, it was who killed the biggest saber tooth, then my woman is prettier than yours, then chariot races, gladiators, horse racing, hot rods, etc. Games are just another outlet for that competitive spirit.

By this definition women should just be playing co-op?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Berger
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HenzBWard wrote:
Think I may need to clarify why I am interested......I'm not suggesting there should be a focus on men and gaming, only interested in why men think they like games in the first place? I'm involved in a conference and plan to talk a bit about men's relationship with board games.....I can do this anecdotally but am interested in others' views too

Henry maybe you should rename the thread "Man's relationship with gaming", or something like that. I'm not familiar with the particular ghoul other posters here think this thread is threatening to reanimate, but something like that might help ward off evil spirits . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ward
msg tools
mb
Perhaps you're right Joe...I'd hate to cause too much anxiety....though it is interesting that it raises these fears?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan King
United States
Fairmount
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Irgendwer wrote:
muskrat39 wrote:

there are exceptions of course, but by nature men are more competitive than women. That is why back in my drag racing days, my gf,(now wife), never understood. She would often tell other women, how silly men were with their cars. But on the other side of the coin she enjoyed word games, and memory games. Now, she thinks games are OK as long as nobody wins, or keeps score. Still, there are many women who break the trend. I remember a girl when I was a kid that had to do everything better than the boys. She even had one of the fastest cars. But she was an exception, not the rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serena
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HenzBWard wrote:
Perhaps you're right Joe...I'd hate to cause too much anxiety....though it is interesting that it raises these fears?

I still don't understand why you're just focusing on men. I think it could make your talk more interesting if you add to it why women like to play board games. I would guess it's often for the exact same reason, but you probably will get also some other reasons.

Well, you're new here. There is a subforum called women and gaming where often a thread start with the OP wanting to find out why the forum exist and it always ends with the thread being closed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ward
msg tools
mb
The conference is all about men...hence the focus. I have looked through the Women and gaming thread and I will be referring to it but I'm just after some of the reasons why men think they play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Brunscheen
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a different perspective.

I started playing games as a child because I was bored. To an extent that is still true but it's nuanced. I have a very active internal dialog. I always assumed most people did but when I talked about it with the guys at work there were a few that were very perplexed by this. I received blanks stares and maybe blank thoughts.

My mind is always running and I can get bored easily. Reading for me is almost meditation. I go slow and just enjoy the story. It better hold my attention however or I'll finish a page while also thinking of other thoughts and have to go back and re-read.

Board games do the same thing for me but they are less meditation (except solitaire) and more focused interaction. I can't stand small talk that lasts for hours. My grandmother talked about the weather, sports and her friends who had passed. That was fine for 15 minutes and then we would watch a game or I would get her to tell me about her life. But put me at my wife's office party and I'm pulling hair (usually mine). The last Xmas party we hosted everyone at our home which allowed me to introduce them to Telestrations. Big success.

So to sum up. I play games because they give my brain and active imagination something to do. To fill time and to be social. Group games of any type are also a great way to judge character and personality. My daughter always has to bring serious boyfriends home to play games. But that's an entire new thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ward
msg tools
mb
Thank you Bart. Played Telestrations on NYE for the first time and loved it (mixed gender group and unanimously loved)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serena
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
muskrat39 wrote:
Irgendwer wrote:
muskrat39 wrote:

there are exceptions of course, but by nature men are more competitive than women. That is why back in my drag racing days, my gf,(now wife), never understood. She would often tell other women, how silly men were with their cars. But on the other side of the coin she enjoyed word games, and memory games. Now, she thinks games are OK as long as nobody wins, or keeps score. Still, there are many women who break the trend. I remember a girl when I was a kid that had to do everything better than the boys. She even had one of the fastest cars. But she was an exception, not the rule.

If that's really nature why are there soooooooooooooo many girls nowadays that don't know how to loose and always have to win?
I wouldn't see it as a sign for somebody not have a competitive side just because they don't understanding the point of drag racing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Brunscheen
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Irgendwer wrote:
HenzBWard wrote:

I still don't understand why you're just focusing on men. I think it could make your talk more interesting if you add to it why women like to play board games. I would guess it's often for the exact same reason, but you probably will get also some other reasons.

Well, you're new here. There is a subforum called women and gaming where often a thread start with the OP wanting to find out why the forum exist and it always ends with the thread being closed.

Maybe it's a conference for the survivors of testicular cancer. Our friend here has the talk about great activities you can partake in during recovery. I assume running maybe a bad idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
armed-medic wrote:
I have a different perspective.

I started playing games as a child because I was bored. To an extent that is still true but it's nuanced. I have a very active internal dialog. I always assumed most people did but when I talked about it with the guys at work there were a few that were very perplexed by this. I received blanks stares and maybe blank thoughts.

My mind is always running and I can get bored easily. Reading for me is almost meditation. I go slow and just enjoy the story. It better hold my attention however or I'll finish a page while also thinking of other thoughts and have to go back and re-read.

Board games do the same thing for me but they are less meditation (except solitaire) and more focused interaction. I can't stand small talk that lasts for hours. My grandmother talked about the weather, sports and her friends who had passed. That was fine for 15 minutes and then we would watch a game or I would get her to tell me about her life. But put me at my wife's office party and I'm pulling hair (usually mine). The last Xmas party we hosted everyone at our home which allowed me to introduce them to Telestrations. Big success.

So to sum up. I play games because they give my brain and active imagination something to do. To fill time and to be social. Group games of any type are also a great way to judge character and personality. My daughter always has to bring serious boyfriends home to play games. But that's an entire new thread.

I'm not even sure I fully understood why I enjoy playing games so much...until I read your post. It describes me perfectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan King
United States
Fairmount
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[/q]If that's really nature why are there soooooooooooooo many girls nowadays that don't know how to loose and always have to win?
I wouldn't see it as a sign for somebody not have a competitive side just because they don't understanding the point of drag racing.[/q] I wouldn't say there are all that many, but how many women want to play a 8-10 hour hex and counter wargame? I would even venture to say without really knowing, that a significant percentage of those women who hate to lose, were from one child families, where there father really wanted a boy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Brunscheen
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chadnorth wrote:
For me it's an interactive past time. Like telling a story yet as such it does not involve looking at a TV screen or reading a book. You have role in the story being unraveled within the created framework of the world you choose.The endings of books never change. Early non-traditional game for me was Dungeons & Dragons. Like the myths of old we usually seek to perform at heroic levels and fight against evil. So I guess power and fame.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."
~ Plato

Yes yes yes.

Thanks Doug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.