10 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Rules

Subject: Interaction between Akitaro & Running Interference rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve K
msg tools
mbmbmb
Last night at our game night I encountered the situation where the runner initiated Running Interference on a server where I had Akitaro Watanabe installed.

How do you calculate the final rez cost of the ice? I saw two scenarios

1. The Himitsu-Bako becomes a 0 rez cost ice and the +x from running interference applies, making the final rez cost of the ice 0.

2. Himitsu-Bako becomes a 4 cost to rez ice and Akitaro reduces the cost to 2

If I recall correctly, someone asked a question similar to this involving Reina, Xanadu, Rook, and Running Interference. I believe that the answer to those situations is that Running Interference applied after Xanadu, making the rez cost of the ice higher (Ex. Bako + Rook + Running Interference becomes 8 cost to rez)

Based on this ruling, I'm inclined to think that Akitaro applies first. Thus, a Himitsu-Bako would be 0 cost to rez and something like Grim would be (5 - 2 = 3, 3 + 3 = 6 cost to rez).

Correct or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Kernes
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Akitaro is a static effect that applies at all times while Running Interference is activated effect from an Event so I'd think it works like case 1.

That said a case can be made for the other way around as the active player's effects always trigger first so you can say RI goes first then Akitaro lowers the cost. I don't think this is the case as I said before with Akitaro being static but I'd say it is worth tossing FFG an email.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordNat wrote:
Akitaro is a static effect that applies at all times while Running Interference is activated effect from an Event so I'd think it works like case 1.

That said a case can be made for the other way around as the active player's effects always trigger first so you can say RI goes first then Akitaro lowers the cost. I don't think this is the case as I said before with Akitaro being static but I'd say it is worth tossing FFG an email.

Whether one is static or an event isn't relevant. What is relevant is that Akitaro modifies the rez cost but Running Interference adds an additional cost. To know how much to add for Running Interference, you need to first compute the rez cost which is 2-2=0, so the total is 0.

In the same way, notice that Cortez Chip and Rook will be treated differently because Rook modifies the rez cost but Cortez Chip doesn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Kernes
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DrTall wrote:
LordNat wrote:

Whether one is static or an event isn't relevant. What is relevant is that Akitaro modifies the rez cost but Running Interference adds an additional cost. To know how much to add for Running Interference, you need to first compute the rez cost which is 2-2=0, so the total is 0.

In the same way, notice that Cortez Chip and Rook will be treated differently because Rook modifies the rez cost but Cortez Chip doesn't.

Ah you are entirely right there. I was thinking about it all wrong. That sounds like the right way to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What is important though, is Rook and Akitaro.

Let's assume you have a Hunter or Matrix Analyser in the server, with Rook hosted on it and Akitaro is rezzed.

Is the rez cost of Hunter/Matrix Analyser 2 or 1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CommissarFeesh wrote:

Let's assume you have a Hunter or Matrix Analyser in the server, with Rook hosted on it and Akitaro is rezzed.

It's 1, the modifiers are applied at the same time.

EDIT: It's helpful to think of it like this:
Total Rez Cost = Base Cost + Sum of Modifiers
in our case TRC = 1 + (2 - 2)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dovian wrote:
CommissarFeesh wrote:

It's 1, the modifiers are applied at the same time.

EDIT: It's helpful to think of it like this:
Total Rez Cost = Base Cost + Sum of Modifiers
in our case TRC = 1 + (2 - 2)

Cool, makes sense to me. Do we have an official ruling though? Not trying to be difficult, it's just that things which made sense to me in the past have been ruled differently to how I'd interpreted them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CommissarFeesh wrote:
Cool, makes sense to me. Do we have an official ruling though? Not trying to be difficult, it's just that things which made sense to me in the past have been ruled differently to how I'd interpreted them

Assuming it's similar to ice strength then Page 10 of the FAQ has a question regarding Chum, Ice Carver, and a Parasite that answers it.

FAQ wrote:
There is a Parasite with 1 virus counter hosted on a rezzed Enigma, and the Runner has an Ice Carver installed. If the Runner encounters Chum, does not break its subroutine, and then continues the run and encounters Enigma, is the Enigma trashed?

No. Chum’s ability is a required conditional effect that creates
a constant +2 strength effect. When the Runner encounters the
ice, both modifiers (Chum at +2 and Ice Carver at –1) apply at
the same time and the strength of Enigma would be 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Keane
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Pictured: Rags Raggerson, successful businesscat
mb
The Chum/Ice Carver/Parasite ruling concerns applying all the modifiers before any triggered effect can fire. It's not answering the same question as this.

Yes, all the modifiers in this case get applied together, but one of the modifiers is dependent upon what the value was prior to it being applied. It's an order of operations issue basically.

That said, I think the distinction (made above) between changing the rez cost and paying X credits as an additional cost is going to be made in the ruling.

The ruling is likely going to be to apply Akitaro first and then Running Interference.

Has this been submitted to FFG yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ffaristocrat wrote:
The Chum/Ice Carver/Parasite ruling concerns applying all the modifiers before any triggered effect can fire. It's not answering the same question as this.

Yes, all the modifiers in this case get applied together, but one of the modifiers is dependent upon what the value was prior to it being applied. It's an order of operations issue basically.

That said, I think the distinction (made above) between changing the rez cost and paying X credits as an additional cost is going to be made in the ruling.

The ruling is likely going to be to apply Akitaro first and then Running Interference.

Has this been submitted to FFG yet?

There's no need to submit it, so far modifying a rez cost is considered a constant effect by all sources that do it (rulebook page 21). Cortez Chip and Running Interference are worded extremely carefully in order to avoid any order of operations confusion.

Compare Rook:
Rook wrote:
... The rez cost of each piece of ice protecting this server is increased by 2

To Running Interference:
Running Interference wrote:
... The Corp must pay X[cred] as an additional cost to rez each piece of ice...

Emphasis is mine in both cases. Cortez Chip and Running Interference impose an additional cost on the Corporation, they have absolutely no impact whatsoever on the rez cost. Running Interference uses the total rez cost merely as a reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.