Subject: Buckner to the front rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
One of 2012's pleasant discoveries was the old Unconditional Surrender. I always ignored that one, thinking it must be some sort of Blue & Gray spinoff, but then found out that this is a Jon Southard game and I was intrigued enough to try it out, and liked it.

The Confederate makes an inital push and only then finds out if he needs to escape or defend the fort, according to the victory conditions.
In this case I decided to make the historical big push on the left, deciding that since Pillow historically blew the escape attempt and left Buckner to sort out the mess, I'd try to put the push behind Buckner and merely leave Pillow to protect the lines.

The Confederates began the push on the left, quickly pushing McClernand's division on the eastern side back. (The map is unusual since it faces south - the course of the Cumberland River here meant that the Confederates were actually defending the southern bank of the river against the Union troops attacking north!)

Once McClernand's setup area had been taken, the victory conditions were revealed. They happened to be "breakout" and the Union side had bad luck in being slow activating its divisions, then poor Lew Wallace failed his command dieroll twice in a row and C.F.Smith had to try and march over from the Union left to prop up the McClernand's Division under attack. By that time the Confederates were almost at the central road intersection and Smith's division could not use the fast road movement any more. The Confederates had put Gideon Pillow's division on their right flank.

Pillow's division actually held off the Union while the rest wiped out McClernand's division and opened the road for the Confederate artillery to escape. By this time Pillow had been sent to hit the already disrupted Union center and protect Johnson's and Buckner's flanks.

By this time the Union was in the Confederate breastworks but again Wallace's men were held up for an extra hour that meant the Union got into the army demoralisation bracket and failed its roll, ending the scenario just as Grant turned up to see the mess his division commanders had made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dragged this out of storage a couple months ago when we were going through various old games on the western ACW battles. It failed to reach the table but it's still handy - I'll reintroduce it to the queue.

JR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
It does have the usual 3W problems (among others, I think there is some movement cost that I had to make up), but I liked the system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.