Phantom Leader Deluxe» Forums » General

Subject: Phantoms and Sidewinders--special weapons? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blargy McBlargerton
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I just got my copy earlier this week and so far I love this game. I have one question--what is the rationale behind treating Sidewinders as special weapons when carried by a Phantom?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I remember, USAF F-4s were not issued AIM 9s til very late in the war (1969+). so probably in the earlier campaigns AIM 9 s would cost SOs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas Takala
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
badge
Silk for Calde!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, USAF Phantoms were integrated with the far superior AIM-4 Falcon... The useless Sidewinder was a Navy development, after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blargy McBlargerton
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Gotcha. A little research showed that some USAF F-4s received unauthorized field mods to use the sidewinder, so I'm guessing that the SO reflects that. Also, from what I've found, it looks like the F-100 was fitted with the AIM-9 long before the F-4 could use it (the game reflects this)...I wonder why? Maybe something political?
Anyways, thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there was doctrinal obstinance in the USAF, but I couldn't tell you a source for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.