BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions

Subject: Gen-Con Indy - 2014; planning to go? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Addison Fox
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I'll be there; went last year for the first time and had a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan King
United States
Fairmount
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I live only 65 miles north, I might very well be there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Jo
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping to go.. I live in Indiana, but have never been to GenCon before !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
If all goes well, 2014 will be my 25th consecutive GenCon attended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Haugh
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm planning to go; my son and I were first timers last year. We only went for one day though, we might bump that up to two depending on finances. Very glad the motorcycle rally won't be going on at the same time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
Not this year. We went last year and it was a lot of fun. But everything from event registration to hotel registration went perfectly. Which usually doesn't happen. So we want to savor the feeling for another year or two before going back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bowers
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to it. This will be my 8th Gen Con. Still feels like I am learning how to do things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herr Flik
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to go last year but I hope to try and go this year, annoyingly i am looking at the hotels and they say I cant book a room in them on those dates. I am assuming that they have stopped reservations until gencon folks have booked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrFlik wrote:
I wanted to go last year but I hope to try and go this year, annoyingly i am looking at the hotels and they say I cant book a room in them on those dates. I am assuming that they have stopped reservations until gencon folks have booked.

Unless you want to pay around $350-$400 per night you need to use Gen Con's block. Which you need to buy a badge before you get access to it. Even then getting an attached hotel is difficult. Even downtown is hard to get unless you book it in the first hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Humpert
United States
Dillsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've been doing my hotel search in October and November for the last several years. For the 2014 con, I managed to snag a room at the Staybridge Suites for 7 days at $129 a night. It's a bit of a further walk to the convention hall, but when you've got a family of 5 travelling to the con, youse gots to take what youse can get.

Also, yeah, my family of 5 will be at the con this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Haugh
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hinton wrote:
When I went, I got a motel room at a Travelodge about five miles from the convention center. Sure, it wasn't convenient driving there, finding a parking space in a parking garage 10 blocks away and then walking the rest of the way; however, I think it was only about $70 per night to stay there.

So if I go this year, that's probably what I'll do.

I used ParkWhiz to reserve a spot ahead of time. SUPER easy, convenient, and even inexpensive! I got a spot in a garage next to the stadium, so about a 5 minute walk to the convention center. Definitely using them again this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herr Flik
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:
HerrFlik wrote:

Unless you want to pay around $350-$400 per night you need to use Gen Con's block. Which you need to buy a badge before you get access to it. Even then getting an attached hotel is difficult. Even downtown is hard to get unless you book it in the first hour.

thats insane pricing! i will have to try and grab one when registration opens then. either that or its outskirts then a drive *waves little flag of joy*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will E.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have attended it twice, but this year, once again, coincides with first week of school.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year was my first year of gaming, so I didn't really plan on going nor understand the hype when people started talking about it. By the time August rolled around and I started obsessively refreshing BGG and lamenting that the hobby doesn't have a Kotaku-esque site with multiple livestreams of everything going on I realized I should probably go in 2014...

Account made, vacation put in, and I'm excited for my first GenCon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. Went last year and it was fun, but BGGCon is much more to our liking. Heading there instead for now on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Eisbrenner
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5th year going. Already got room at staybridge. Was debating hosting event or paying for ticket. I think I will pay for the 4 day pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question for those who have been before: do you need event tickets to demo games? For example, if I'm strolling through the vendor hall and a publisher is there doing demos of a new game will I need event tickets even though this isn't a scheduled event and is just drop in play? Same question for the games library.

If so, how much do people usually end up spending in event tickets? Need to make sure I budget appropriately...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
captainraffi wrote:
Quick question for those who have been before: do you need event tickets to demo games? For example, if I'm strolling through the vendor hall and a publisher is there doing demos of a new game will I need event tickets even though this isn't a scheduled event and is just drop in play? Same question for the games library.

If so, how much do people usually end up spending in event tickets? Need to make sure I budget appropriately...

The demos in the vendor hall are free. Fantasy flight is a publisher that has a huge area where they have 10 tables demoing all their new releases. I remember seeing Gale force 9 having some tables with firefly and Spartacus printed on the table to demo. Privateer had 10 or so demo tables. I don't remember which other publishers had space. Usually if they have a giant area on the exhibitor map they will be demoing some games there. The library has event tickets to use it for a half a day. I believe its around $6 and there are 2 time blocks a day.

Event tickets are really just used for scheduled games. Those go live in mid May. There is another gigantic conglomeration of 6 exhibit halls where all the scheduled board game events are played. RPGS and other stuff are in hotels and side rooms. Board games are usually $2 per 2 hours rounded up. A 3 hour game will cost $4. Last year I spent $22 for event tickets doing a fairly light schedule. Usually a morning game followed by a break for lunch and exploring and then another game or two in the afternoon and early evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:

The demos in the vendor hall are free. Fantasy flight is a publisher that has a huge area where they have 10 tables demoing all their new releases. I remember seeing Gale force 9 having some tables with firefly and Spartacus printed on the table to demo. Privateer had 10 or so demo tables. I don't remember which other publishers had space. Usually if they have a giant area on the exhibitor map they will be demoing some games there. The library has event tickets to use it for a half a day. I believe its around $6 and there are 2 time blocks a day.

Event tickets are really just used for scheduled games. Those go live in mid May. There is another gigantic conglomeration of 6 exhibit halls where all the scheduled board game events are played. RPGS and other stuff are in hotels and side rooms. Board games are usually $2 per 2 hours rounded up. A 3 hour game will cost $4. Last year I spent $22 for event tickets doing a fairly light schedule. Usually a morning game followed by a break for lunch and exploring and then another game or two in the afternoon and early evening.

Awesome thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew C
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping to go this year. I moved to Indianapolis last year right when GenCon happened, so I couldn't go because I was unpacking. It's probably what I'm most excited about doing this year (and will be my first convention).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Going this year for the first time in several years. Super-psyched.

Any plans for a BGG meetup at Gen Con?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ross
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Grand Master Cabalist
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did anyone here get their badges today?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ordered badges today, and this will be our 11th Gencon. I was hoping to get a VIG badge, but they were sold out in under 10 seconds. Guess that just means more funds budgeted for games. We're locals, so no hotel room necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ross
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Grand Master Cabalist
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3rd time for me. Second time staying overnight. Hopefully my first time making it Thursday morning through Saturday. Last year we just did Thursday afternoon and Friday and the year before we did just Saturday on a day trip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my badge! I live in the Chicago area so I plan on heading over Wednesday night. Not sure what to do about hotels; I'd really like to stay right next to the convention center but my gaming group is all couples so everyone is getting their own room. My wife games but has no interest in GenCon so I don't want to spend ~$200 a night. I'm hoping a couple of my other friends decide to go but no guarantees there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.