United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something happened yesterday that I thought was pretty interesting...

I was contacted by a talent scout. She was with a company that specializes in celebrating Hollywood awards ceremonies.

As she put it...

"While searching for new products, I discovered your company and got super excited! Your Police Precinct game caught my attention and I think that this would be a major hit with our celebrity guests!"

Apparently they handpick unique and interesting items to showcase to the movie stars.

She wants me to come rub elbows at the the Ritz Carlton leading up to the Grammy Awards™.

Even a Commoner like me can see how fun this would be. The problem is...

It's expensive to get out there, and...

This would happen on January 25th, which means that I would likely miss the end of the campaign (26th).

Why is that such a problem?

Because...

I have promised to deliver the 1st reward that day, and to do it within less than 30 minutes of the end of the campaign. This is going to be quite a feat as-is, but even more challenging if I am traveling that day.

Ssssooooo....

I guess I have a big decision to make.

Grammy or No Grammy, that's the question.

It would be fun to introduce it to some of the stars, but...

It's worth noting that there are already some who play Police Precinct.

I'm not aware that Wil Wheaton has tried it yet, but have heard that a well known TV actor who has a pretty nice game collection of his own really likes it.

I heard this confidentially from a marketing rep here in the States. It sounded like they wanted to control how this info came out. That was a while back at this point, and I would say who it is, but I'm not sure it has become public knowledge yet, so I don't want to leak it now.

Alright...

I guess I should email this scout back to at least get the conversation rolling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grammys!!!!!

That being said, isn't there someone in LA who is pledging that you could deliver to while you are out there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Briel
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Wallop !
mbmb
Get someone at the Grammy's or near the Grammy's to pledge to the Kickstarter and deliver it to them. In person. On-air. Triple win all around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erick Sais
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dbriel wrote:
Get someone at the Grammy's or near the Grammy's to pledge to the Kickstarter and deliver it to them. In person. On-air. Triple win all around.

I like this idea. If there's a way to cobble all this together that would be awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Garcia
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I propose that I be that backer!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go there!
Do it!
What a chance. For you. For your company. For the game.

Maybe you can find someone to care about the KS shipping, or ask the backers if they fine receiving their rewards 2 days after the end instead of 30 minutes.

Just in case you missed it:
GO THERE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang!

This is a hard decision!

wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
Common Man Games wrote:
Dang!

This is a hard decision!

wow

It shouldn't be. If this is legit (though I don't see how a hobby board game would be "a major hit with our celebrity guests"), it's an opportunity you shouldn't pass up.

I know that this whole "delivering the 1st reward within 30 minutes of the end of the campaign" thing is a big deal to you and something you've been excited about, but you need to step back and look at it objectively. It's pretty clear which option has the most potential to have a really positive impact on Common Man Games.

I'm a Kickstarter backer, but I can wait a few extra days for my goodies. I don't have a shortage of game to play until then!

All the best.

-Josh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Parkinson
Canada
Kitchener
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squash wrote:
Common Man Games wrote:
Dang!

This is a hard decision!

wow

It shouldn't be. If this is legit (though I don't see how a hobby board game would be "a major hit with our celebrity guests"), it's an opportunity you shouldn't pass up.

I know that this whole "delivering the 1st reward within 30 minutes of the end of the campaign" thing is a big deal to you and something you've been excited about, but you need to step back and look at it objectively. It's pretty clear which option has the most potential to have a really positive impact on Common Man Games.

I'm a Kickstarter backer, but I can wait a few extra days for my goodies. I don't have a shortage of game to play until then!

All the best.

-Josh

Indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squash wrote:
Common Man Games wrote:
Dang!

This is a hard decision!

wow

I agree. If you have the opportunity to get into a celeb gift basket potentially, you should take advantage of it.

I know someone who used to do this years ago (create, assemble, and provide the gift baskets, that is), and it's actually a pretty big cottage industry. The basket-makers sort of comb the world (more or less) looking for interesting and unique things to put into the baskets to make it memorable. Granted, in many cases, these baskets end up in the hands of assistants, families, or sometimes donated off to charities, it COULD end up giving you exposure to one or two folks who can really help it take off.

Let's say, for example, it ends up in the hands of John Walsh, or Stephen Bochco, or even someone like Ellen Degeneres. And they like it. And decide they want to help you promote it.

I mean, if it were me, it'd be a pretty clear cut decision. And I doubt that anyone in the Kickstarter would be at all upset if you did this. Bearing in mind that at its spirit, Kickstarter is about people contributing to your project to see it succeed, and this could potentially help you succeed beyond the stretches of anything that a KS backer could provide, I think you owe it to yourself, -and- to your backers, to avail yourself of this.

If you are really feeling bad about the idea of not making good on the 30 minute delivery guarantee (and you shouldn't), I am sure that you can come up with something to make up for that. I mean, heck, see if you can get your hands on a Grammy program and find some celebs to autograph it for the would-be winner, as a way of sharing the excitement of what you are doing -instead- of doing that. Again, were it me who would have been said recipient, I'd happily accept that, especially knowing that it helped out a game that I felt passionate enough about to Kickstart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh god...

wow

You gotta see this comment that just came through...

"So glad I found this kickstarter. I was looking for the 1st edition and found this!

My friend who is police officer (LAPD) is going to love playing this game on our game nights!"

I'm not making this up. This was just said on the KS comments section.

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
Delegate the shipping.... it's a no-brainer.....if you have someone to delegate to, of course!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some thoughts.

I'll post in a minute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should attend the Grammys. Personally I think the 30-minute thing is a gimmick anyways. Kickstarter is supposed to be about acquiring the cash in order to at least help pay for something you want to produce or at least preordering in order to intelligently decide how many to produce.

Delivering a copy within 30 minutes just makes it seem like you already decided to produce the items and have already paid for them so you really didn't need to Kickstart it to begin with. You've already decided how many to produce as well.

It doesn't bother me that you are doing this. I just think you feel that the fast delivery of rewards is a much bigger deal than the people backing do. Especially when this only applies to just one person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squash wrote:

It shouldn't be. If this is legit (though I don't see how a hobby board game would be "a major hit with our celebrity guests")

-Josh

Now I'm lookin' like a total jerk if I don't do this.

OK, let's back up a second...

Josh makes a good point, or I think it's a good point anyway, which is...

Is this even legit?

I can only assume so, but...

Not 100% sure?

And...

To his other point...

Is the average celebrity ready to look at an in-depth boardgame?

There might be as much bad press in this as good.

I also need to find out the costs associated, because...

Airfare,

Hotel,

Games, and...

MORE!

Could really add-up!

Now what is the "More" part?

I'm not sure. I need to discuss this with the scout.

I'll let you know what I find out, but it sounds to me from what she has said so far that there will be other costs. Exactly the extent of this, I'm not sure.

And...

one more concern is...

This Kickstarter is about taking a game that is (IMHO) destined to be great and trying to get it all the way there.

Soooo...

With the help of all the great backers of our current Kickstarter, WE CAN DO IT!

By the way, MANY others have played a role in getting the game where it is now, and we owe them a big debt (e.g. - prior KS backers, pre-release backers, every other buyer of the 1st edition, etc., etc.). I'm just saying that the ones who will play the biggest part in getting the game from where it is today, all the way to where we want it to be, is...

The backers of the current Kickstarter.

Anyway, my point that I'm leading up to here is that...

We're not there yet.

Meaning, the game is on it's way to amazing, but it not all the way there yet.

That said, since the 2nd Edition does NOT exist yet, the only version I can bring for this momentous occasion is...

The 1st Edition, and...

We all know that, while it is a great game in the making, the 1st edition has some issues (I like to call them lovable blemishes).

That's why we are all here...

To work on improving the brand.

That's what the Kickstarter is all about and that is our big focus here at CMG.

It's no secret of course that the compass is backwards and the rulebook has the infamous "wall of text", and assorted other issues (misspellings, typos, etc.).

So I ask you (the hard core fans of this game), do you think that is how we want to play this?

Or should I develop a relationship with this scout and hope to work our way into the schedule for next year?

I'm just saying...

There is a lot to consider.

So, once again...

Let me get with her to find out ALL the costs, only then can we really weigh this out fully.

Thanks everybody for the interest in this topic!!!

You guys are the best!

Karl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Briel
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Wallop !
mbmb
Provided costs and legitimacy pan out just fix a first edition. Open the box put in the new rule book, sticker the compass, print out a new evidence board on some thick cardstock, add the updated car card. You can easily make the current edition Hollywood presentable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the encouragement David!!!

I appreciate it!

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mkrajew wrote:
I think you should attend the Grammys. Personally I think the 30-minute thing is a gimmick anyways. Kickstarter is supposed to be about acquiring the cash in order to at least help pay for something you want to produce or at least preordering in order to intelligently decide how many to produce.

Delivering a copy within 30 minutes just makes it seem like you already decided to produce the items and have already paid for them so you really didn't need to Kickstart it to begin with. You've already decided how many to produce as well.

It doesn't bother me that you are doing this. I just think you feel that the fast delivery of rewards is a much bigger deal than the people backing do. Especially when this only applies to just one person.

Hey Mike!

You make a good point, in fact you make several really good points!

and...

This just goes to show that the question(s)...

"What is Kickstarter?"

and...

"What should it be?"

and...

"What will it be in the future?"

are...

In my opinion very interesting to ponder.

Certainly many people are discussing this every day.

Here are some of my thoughts on this situation in particular...

1. PROMISE:

Maybe I do take this 30 minute thing too seriously, but I would rather error on that side of it. Let me explain why, it's because...

There is no getting around that it is a promise that we have made, and I don't think it should be taken lightly in that sense.

If we end up going to LA for the Grammy Awards thing, I would only go after asking ALL the backers who stand to benefit from the rapid delivery promise if they support this. Out of the say 600 backers there might be in the end, this would possibly involve about 90 maybe (the 30 minute guy, plus the others we hope to be shipping rewards to right away after the campaign ends).

By the way, I could try to line-up someone to handle these in my absence, but I think it's safer if I am more hands-on for this.

Anyway, if no one had an issue, then I could feel comfortable proceeding. This is how we handled things like this in the past.

For example, in the 1st KS we did actually come to the backers with a request, and it took some back-and-forth to reach a compromise that pleased everyone, but we did it without "telling" the backers how it was going to be, instead we "asked" if it would be ok if we did it. I am proud that we did it this way. I think this is the right way to handle any situation where we (CMG) are suggesting the possibility of NOT following through on a promise we have made.

2. THE PRIOR KICKSTARTER:

In our last campaign (late 2013), we needed $1,200 to print The Heat, and we had that in the first hour of the Kickstarter campaign (or something like that), so by the time we placed our order with the factory, we knew absolutely that we would be paid back by Kickstarter for the expenditure.

In the end we were able to get The Heat and all the other needed components of The Kits and start shipping them within 10 days. It was a lot of hard work and it felt really good, worth it, and rewarding, because we got so much great feedback from the backers. they really appreciated it.

3. THIS KICKSTARTER:

Since we have the ability to do it, and since backers seem to really appreciate the gesture, we want to do it again (meaning the fast delivery).

In this case, it's not ALL the rewards, we are only talking about The Kits (which include The Heat, Rioting Gangs, etc.).

Because The Heat is made in the USA by a factory that is focused on speed and service, we can order what we need on a Monday and have it in our facility on Friday. It's exciting (I think).

We have yet to decide to print something and to then simply use Kickstarter as a pre-release order taking tool.

We are on our 3rd Kickstarter now, and to be honest, we don't have the capital to do that. there are bigger companies that can (and apparently do) treat KS that way.

We are just trying to build a reputation as a hard working publisher who cares about delivering on promises. That's all.

THE KICKSTARTER TOPIC

Thanks for bring up these topics!

I never grow tired of discussing the Kickstarter subject. I truly find it fascinating.

I think it is going to be the single most important thing to help our industry grow. It will also be a source of frustration at times (slow deliveries / no deliveries / sub-par games at times / etc.), but in the end I think Kickstarter will be seen by most as a good thing (my prediction).

I can certainly say that without Kickstarter we would not have been able to do what we have done.

I am an eternal optimist and tend to see the good in things. I am even one of those who feel that Kickstarter will be (in the end) a very good thing for brick and mortar game stores. Let me give you a real-life example of why I think this...

EXAMPLE OF KICKSTARTER WORKING

Did you know that...

207 backers of our first Kickstarter back in early 2012 made it possible to print 2,500 copies of the 1st edition.

That is a really cool thing I think!

We took the excitement of those backers and went to our distributor partner (GTS) hat in hand, and said...

"Please make this happen, trust me it will work out."

They believed in us and bought 1,000 copies sight-unseen.

With this example, a new game is born and 10 times more games where sold though traditional 3-step distribution channels than through Kickstarter. This was a great thing for game stores all over the USA, EU, and worldwide.

207 people made this whole game possible.

I think about that everyday.

That is the power of Kickstarter!

Really cool!!!!

When it comes to this Police Precinct...

that example I just gave was the story of 2012.

The Heat was the story of 2013.

and...

2014 will be a great year!

thanks to gamers like you!

I really appreciate your support Mike!

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
mbmbmbmbmb
It's sounds like a neat opportunity ... however, are they going to want to provide copies of your game? If so, my guess is that it would be at your expense. Make sure you have your business hat on to protect yourself from those snake oil salesmen. Sorry, not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but I'm suspicious by nature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rest assured Phil, I am not considering breaking my word.

You and I are in full agreement about the importance of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eracer68 wrote:
It's sounds like a neat opportunity ... however, are they going to want to provide copies of your game? If so, my guess is that it would be at your expense. Make sure you have your business hat on to protect yourself from those snake oil salesmen. Sorry, not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but I'm suspicious by nature.

Erik, you are a wise man!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Coddington
United States
Woodbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man, this is some pretty cool news!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey C4!

Where've you been my brother!

Happy 2014!!!

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Coddington
United States
Woodbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Common Man Games wrote:
Hey C4!

Where've you been my brother!

Still busy as heck with the move which is turning out to take much longer than it should. yuk

Finally have a little time which is good because some new gaming photo projects should be starting up on Google+ soon! Woo-hoo!
thumbsup thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!

C4 is back in the house!

(Precinct House)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.