Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I love deck builders and I like playing solo, so I am wondering what deck builders that can be played solo you would recommend

I own the following and consider them good as solo games

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game
Friday
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set
Shadowrift
The Lord of the Rings Dice Building Game
Star Trek Deck Building Game: The Next Generation

Which other deck builders would you suggest for solo play (note by deck building I refer to a deck being built IN the game, not games in which you construct a deck before you play the game such as The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game - which is a fine solo game, but not a deck builder by my definition)

Thanks!

(edit: added the star trek deck building game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
Hi,

I love deck builders and I like playing solo, so I am wondering what deck builders that can be played solo you would recommend

Friday
Shadowrift

Which other deck builders would you suggest for solo play (note by deck building I refer to a deck being built IN the game, not games in which you construct a deck before you play the game such as The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game - which is a fine solo game, but not a deck builder by my definition)

Thanks!

I would only add Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin.

Although for some Mage Knight Board Game scratches the same itch (I really like it but don't consider it a true deck builder but more of a hybrid).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumsh wrote:

I would only add Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin.

Although for some Mage Knight Board Game scratches the same itch (I really like it but don't consider it a true deck builder but more of a hybrid).

Thanks for our input!

Thunderstone Advance may be an option, guess I have to break out my basic Thunderstone again, but then again I play the basic version on Yucata often, so I do not feel like playing it solo.

I know that a lot of people like Mage knight and to me the game in fact is more of a solo game than a multiplayer game, but for some reason it just did not click for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
Hi,

Friday
Shadowrift

Thanks!

Yep you pretty much got them all there. And Michael got the rest. Thunderstone and Mage Knight were my exact recommendations as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHRIS HALVORSON
United States
Mill Creek
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game
Ascension: Deckbuilding Game
Friday
Lewis & Clark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Juszczak
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
[q="Grumsh"]
I know that a lot of people like Mage knight and to me the game in fact is more of a solo game than a multiplayer game, but for some reason it just did not click for me.

If you got MK available somewhere you could give it another try. My first game didn't exactly clicked for me too, but after 5 months i borrowed it again from my friend and i must say that this time it was a blast. I think this game suffers a lot when you don't know rules too good and must constantly check rulebook. But once you know what you doing it plays smoothly and is quite rewarding when you finish. At least for me it went like this so if its available to you you could check it out again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CHRISDH wrote:

Thanks for your suggestions

Ascension is excellent on iOS, but I personally would not consider it as a solo game.

Lewis and Clark is fine solo, but does somehow not feel like deck building to me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kurunir wrote:
Mixo wrote:
[q="Grumsh"]

If you got MK available somewhere you could give it another try. My first game didn't exactly clicked for me too, but after 5 months i borrowed it again from my friend and i must say that this time it was a blast. I think this game suffers a lot when you don't know rules too good and must constantly check rulebook. But once you know what you doing it plays smoothly and is quite rewarding when you finish. At least for me it went like this so if its available to you you could check it out again.

Thanks for trying to get me back into this game, but I rent it out from a budy, played it solitaire, was convinced about the game, played it in my regular group, none of the gamers was impressed, really wanted to love it (I LOVE Vlaada's games), so bought it for myself to "study it", did so, play it solo again, it still does not click with me..... :-(

I like to compare it to Runbound - most people I know who love Runebound also like Mage Knight, does who do not like Runebound, do not like Mage Knight - guess what I think about Runebound...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
Rune Age.

I can not believe I am recommending this!!

In this thread I am the guy that says he is not convinced the game is worth it just for solo play, specifically: Re: Solo review?

However you should be a deckbuilding (deck management) fan, so I think it is worth a look.
Keep in mind it plays very differently than, say, Dominion; the engine-building is less important than hand management, as an example.
Still, deck management is its central mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
K____ wrote:
Rune Age.

In this thread I am the guy that says he is not convinced the game is worth it just for solo play, specifically: Re: Solo review?

However you should be a deckbuilding (deck management) fan, so I think it is worth a look.
Keep in mind it plays very differently than, say, Dominion; the engine-building is less important than hand management, as an example.

Thanks! I love Rune Age and frankly forgot to put it on my list (for some reason I also do not tend to play it solo). I love the variety in terms of gameplay (solo, coop, team. PvP etc) this game offers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Allein
Austria
Mödling
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also play mostly solo and support the choice for Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin with its expansions. Currently I am waiting for german version of Thunderstone Advance: Numenera.

Another choice could be Ascension: Storm of Souls with Ascension: Immortal Heroes, which I also play very often. The main advantage is that it has a faster setup than Thunderstone. I have it in a small bag with the starting deck for one player and within a minute I can begin to play.

I sleeved my Thunderstone and Ascencion cards because after some plays you recognice the starting deck cards when touching them. And shuffling is also easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Pseudonym
msg tools
Mixo wrote:
K____ wrote:
Rune Age.

Thanks! I love Rune Age and frankly forgot to put it on my list (for some reason I also do not tend to play it solo). I love the variety in terms of gameplay (solo, coop, team. PvP etc) this game offers!

In a way, I hate playing Rune Age solo - because I can't stop playing it again and again and again, either because the last game was such a close loss, or such a horrible loss, or so much fun beating, or whatever. Especially with the expansion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Mixo wrote:

We need to play Rune Age when I next visit. That, and Twilight Struggle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb

Resident Evil Deck Building Game: Mercenaries This has a pretty good 'creepy' factor. It plays quite well solo, and if your at all familiar with the video game you will appreciate some of the characters.

I am recommending this version over the others to start with, but adding in any, (or all), of the other expansions, (or the base game), will give endless play to this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.