J Boomhower
United States
Fairfield
VT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the chance to get a store demo copy of a game I want for a very attractive price. It's never been used but, as I understand it, a store demo has less than the full quantity of each given component. Are there any store owners or players who have seen one out there that could assist? I am trying to decide if it is worth paying less and using other components to complete the game. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
all the store demo copies at my FLGS are complete games. always have been
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never heard of a store demo being less than a full copy of the game. Where did you hear that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My FLGS had a bunch of demo boardgames, and all were complete.

Several had noticeable box damage or badly printed/smudged box art - the store manager said some of the publishers send those as demo copies because they wouldn't be able to sell them at retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on how many got lost while the game was looked at, poked, prodded, etc by however many customers looked at the demo copy.

If the rules supply an inventory of parts (which many do), inventory the game before buying it. If the game rules don't, you may be able to find a parts inventory for the game on here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boomhower
United States
Fairfield
VT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Store Demo is how it is billed...said to have been ordered by accident. This is an online purchase so I can't view it. Strange, I was under the impression this was common...a reduced component set for shorter games (for example, I have a demo set for Munchkin Cthulhu that was an extra in a trade...it's a predetermined mini deck to walk through in a demo)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MhidDa wrote:
(for example, I have a demo set for Munchkin Cthulhu that was an extra in a trade...it's a predetermined mini deck to walk through in a demo)

That one is a fairly unique case. It's not a "regular" demo copy of the actual Munchkin game, but a smaller card-count version used solely to teach the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up a Store Demo copy of Expedition: Northwest Passage which was 100% complete. The only differences were (1) out of shrink; (2) a sticker on the box that said "Store Demo"; (3) some minor damage to the box; and (4) a substantially reduced price.

My FLGS owner offered it to me beside the new-in-shrink copy that I pre-ordered. We checked out the demo copy together and agreed that the only real difference was the minor box damage. So I scored it for almost half off, and now my FLGS isn't stuck with a demo of a game they're unlikely to have requested by drop-in customers. Win-win.

Not sure how it works with OLGS copies, but I'd wager that you're probably safe to gamble on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan King
United States
Fairmount
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just purchased a store demo copy of Star Trek Catan last week. It is a complete game, but the box has some slight damage. I purchased it for about half the listed price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My FLGS got a demo copy of Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set a month or so before it was officially released and it was of the style that they had at GenCon. It was an 80 card deck with just enough cards in it to do a 45 minute session and get a taste of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
mbmbmbmbmb
There must be a distinction between store copies (full versions of the game that a store can use to help drive sales) and preview copies (smaller sets, usually released before the game, designed to help drive pre-orders). Unfortunately, both are dubbed "Demo" copies.

All of the examples provided thus far for partial demo sets are for card games - which makes sense. You can get a taste of something like Smash Up with just a few decks, but something like Terra Mystica would be much more difficult to truncate.

I still believe that anything marked as "Store Demo" will likely be a full set, but use caution, especially if it is an easily expandable (and thus easily reduced) game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boomhower
United States
Fairfield
VT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone who was interested, the game did end up being complete. So, I got a brand new copy of Nations with a store demo sticker on the box, the shrink off and nothing else opened or punched for $40.75. Woo HOO! That's why you take a chance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
The only 'store demo' copy that I can ever recall being different was the nightfall one which essentially came in a smaller more streamlined box and did not include dividers for the cards.

All the other demo copies I have ever seen have been full copies of the game usually with a big demo copy sticker over the pretty art on the box

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.