Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BattleCON: Devastation of Indines» Forums » General

Subject: Novelization? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Samocha
United States
Burnsville
MN
flag msg tools
Rasecars, Lasers, Aeroplanes
badge
Here in Duckburg
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious if anyone out there would read a novelization or comic about the story of the World of Indines. i tried to read the blurb about the story in front of the rule book but it has to introduce a lot of characters quickly and gets confusing. also is there a map of the world more clearly, i have seen it in the background of a lot of components and rules, but no clear map
5 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
YES.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
glitch404 wrote:
Just curious if anyone out there would read a novelization or comic about the story of the World of Indines. i tried to read the blurb about the story in front of the rule book but it has to introduce a lot of characters quickly and gets confusing. also is there a map of the world more clearly, i have seen it in the background of a lot of components and rules, but no clear map


Map:

http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121214105838/indines...

(As displayed at http://indines.wikia.com/wiki/World_of_Indines )

I love the lore of Indines, and the way all the games share a world. Novelizations are tough, though! It's easy to narrow down archetypal characters a little too much, and suddenly they're harder to identify with. I would totally read it, nevertheless.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
glitch404 wrote:
Just curious if anyone out there would read a novelization or comic about the story of the World of Indines. i tried to read the blurb about the story in front of the rule book but it has to introduce a lot of characters quickly and gets confusing. also is there a map of the world more clearly, i have seen it in the background of a lot of components and rules, but no clear map


Map:

http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121214105838/indines...

(As displayed at http://indines.wikia.com/wiki/World_of_Indines )

I love the lore of Indines, and the way all the games share a world. Novelizations are tough, though! It's easy to narrow down archetypal characters a little too much, and suddenly they're harder to identify with. I would totally read it, nevertheless.


KINGDOM OF JOFFREYS?!



Douchebag
Range 1-2
Power 0
Priority -3

In a clash, you lose priority and become Stunned. (slapped!)

Before activating: Retreat as far as you can.

On hit: If you yell "I am the King!", this style gains +1 Power.

End of beat: If you were not Stunned or received damage, opponent loses 2 life and cannot ante next beat.
8 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hellena Handbasket
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Novelization would be quite neat. I'd be interested to see any extra information concerning the characters and setting at all, honestly. Almost everything's only really been teased, from what I've seen, and there's quite a bit of compelling stuff in the Indines universe.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Samocha
United States
Burnsville
MN
flag msg tools
Rasecars, Lasers, Aeroplanes
badge
Here in Duckburg
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't Indines be its own fantasy setting? there is room for Fantasy that's not Middle-Earth or GoT, have some imagination people!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Some insider info:

Brad is planning on these already. He's already looking fro a writer for the novel as well as the webcomic that'll be in the form of something like 8-bit theater.
3 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mnmkami wrote:
Some insider info:

Brad is planning on these already. He's already looking fro a writer for the novel as well as the webcomic that'll be in the form of something like 8-bit theater.


Epiiiiiic
2 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Cooley
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As wonderful as indines fiction could be, I'm not sure how easy it would be to get right. I think even more amazing would be a fleshed out indines rpg setting, possibly even using the battlecon system for fighting. Styles and bases acquired and improved as you increase in experience.

It is my impression that indines already was an rpg setting created and used by brad and his friends, and the emergent narrative from that created much of the current lore.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Samocha
United States
Burnsville
MN
flag msg tools
Rasecars, Lasers, Aeroplanes
badge
Here in Duckburg
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
benstylus wrote:
As wonderful as indines fiction could be, I'm not sure how easy it would be to get right. I think even more amazing would be a fleshed out indines rpg setting, possibly even using the battlecon system for fighting. Styles and bases acquired and improved as you increase in experience.

It is my impression that indines already was an rpg setting created and used by brad and his friends, and the emergent narrative from that created much of the current lore.


That is even better!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested, but I'd also be hesitant. There are a LOT of characters and locations, and for the sake of the narrative some or even most of them would have to be left out or play very minor roles. What if the characters I like the most or are most intriguing to me get set aside? What if characters I dislike (looking at you, Demitras) get major heroic roles?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Samocha
United States
Burnsville
MN
flag msg tools
Rasecars, Lasers, Aeroplanes
badge
Here in Duckburg
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
I'd be interested, but I'd also be hesitant. There are a LOT of characters and locations, and for the sake of the narrative some or even most of them would have to be left out or play very minor roles. What if the characters I like the most or are most intriguing to me get set aside? What if characters I dislike (looking at you, Demitras) get major heroic roles?


Well i would think that at least a little in depth or maybe biographies of the characters.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If it can be done better than your regular anime, that is, without obvious cliches, then it can be worth a shot.

But, take for example Queen's Blade. The fighting system (a la Lost Worlds) is fun and the characters are attractive and charismatic, until you watch the anime or read their stories, then you realize everything is pretty much crap, with all these brave fighters constantly subdued, dominated and/or humiliated, according to the perverted vision of a typical Japanese hentai/eroge creator.

Knowing that the stories are meant to be in a certain, unappealing mood (for me), made the game lose its value.

I think there's something to be said for the mystery of the overall picture. Enough story to give you a background on the character and a hint of their personality, drive and intentions, but not enough of a "fighting game" story that you'd be ignoring it later for the sake of the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
digi holic
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Guys, Argent Academy dating sim. That's what we need.
5 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
digiholic wrote:
Guys, Argent Academy dating sim. That's what we need.


Iaxus likes long walks through the planes...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We do have a novelization in the works, but it takes place 100 years before the events in War, and follows a single character rather than a bunch of disparate events. It's looking like a lot of fun so far

As for a dating sim/visual novel, I would do it in a heartbeat if I could find a writer with shipped title experience to join us
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hellena Handbasket
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
I'd be interested, but I'd also be hesitant. There are a LOT of characters and locations, and for the sake of the narrative some or even most of them would have to be left out or play very minor roles. What if the characters I like the most or are most intriguing to me get set aside? What if characters I dislike (looking at you, Demitras) get major heroic roles?


If you did it as a series of interlocking short stories in book form you could cover every character and still create a compelling narrative. It's quite doable.
1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Cooley
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyokai wrote:
We do have a novelization in the works, but it takes place 100 years before the events in War, and follows a single character rather than a bunch of disparate events. It's looking like a lot of fun so far

As for a dating sim/visual novel, I would do it in a heartbeat if I could find a writer with it shipped title experience to join us


Promo cards featuring that character as a playable fighter in battlecon (and pixel tactics) with purchase of the novel from the level 99 store, please ;-)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
benstylus wrote:
Promo cards featuring that character as a playable fighter in battlecon (and pixel tactics) with purchase of the novel from the level 99 store, please ;-)


If that character is one of the five people who overthrew Rexan 100 years before War of Indines (no idea if it is, just an educated guess) then at least two of them are already playable (Luc, Byron); one is in the game but not yet playable (Avenlia) and the other two... do we even know who they are?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
benstylus wrote:
Promo cards featuring that character as a playable fighter in battlecon (and pixel tactics) with purchase of the novel from the level 99 store, please ;-)


If that character is one of the five people who overthrew Rexan 100 years before War of Indines (no idea if it is, just an educated guess) then at least two of them are already playable (Luc, Byron); one is in the game but not yet playable (Avenlia) and the other two... do we even know who they are?


One is Servi of Relecour, who Sagas Seities copies his appearance from.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
digi holic
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
And the other one...?

Kyokai wrote:
As for a dating sim/visual novel, I would do it in a heartbeat if I could find a writer with shipped title experience to join us


Well that motivates me to finish mine.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyokai wrote:
One is Servi of Relecour, who Sagas Seities copies zirs appearance from.


Ah! I think that was the bit of story that was nagging at me-- I had a sense we'd heard of at least one more of the heroes. Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Samocha
United States
Burnsville
MN
flag msg tools
Rasecars, Lasers, Aeroplanes
badge
Here in Duckburg
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
what did I miss? where is all this current mythology, have i missed something, havent had a chance to play Devastation yet
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
glitch404 wrote:
what did I miss? where is all this current mythology, have i missed something, havent had a chance to play Devastation yet


The wiki is a good place to find details: http://indines.wikia.com/wiki/World_of_Indines

I think the source for most of it is just "Brad said at some point that this was true", though I don't actually know. I kind of like the fact that even obsessive / eagle-eyed fans know different subsets of the story. But where it comes from... Kickstarter updates? comments on BGG? I'm not positive.

Oh, right, there's also the artbook for Devastation, which has a fair amount of text alongside the art. The boxed game itself has relatively little of the lore, though-- you aren't missing out on anything obvious or well-known.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
digi holic
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The art book has tons of lore.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.