Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just received this info by e-mail :

Columbia Games next wargame release will be Victory in Europe, designed by Ron Draker. This amazing block game captures the entire war in Europe in fast-paced experience. The game begins in late 1939 and ends up to six years later with five (5) game turns each year. Game time is 4-6 hours.

The game is played on a large round map of Europe that spans the continent from the Spain to the Caspian Sea and from North Africa to Norway. The game employs many of the proven mechanics in other Columbia block games with innovative leader rules and a card deck that elegantly handles history of the whole war.

The cards are the heart of the game and subtly pack a lot of historical feel into the game without heavy rules. Each side has its own deck of cards sorted by year from 1939 to 1945. At the start of a year players add the next year's cards to their draw pile, shuffle, and deal five cards each. The Axis start the war with more powerful cards than the Allies but, as the war goes on, the Axis draw pile is diluted with weaker cards, while the Allied draw pile grows stronger.

A Kickstarter campaign is planned to begin soon and release is targeted for V. E. Day (May 8th, 2014)
Get excited!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
The image of the map reads BLOCKSKRIEG.

Somebody has a great sense of humor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like it'll fit a nice slot in the collection.

A light-medium weight block game covering the entire war in Europe. Sort of like 'Third Reich-lite' with blocks.

I'll stay tuned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
The entire EuroFront II in a single box?

I'll keep an eye on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Looks interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
That map, crikey. Columbia certainly know how to turn me off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Berlin to Moscow is 5 hexes. I'll try to keep an open mind, but my goodness, how the hell do you have any sort of movement on a scale that restricted?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the playable-in-a-night WWII ETO game for me is out there ("or will be," hopefully this year); I wonder whether it'll be this, or Triumph & Tragedy, or Churchill, or Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe (although it looks like that one isn't in the playable-in-a-night category).

The round board is interesting, but would make more sense if this were 3-player. ("Why strategic WWII-in-Europe games have to be 3-player")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
A ROUND map? Is this the surface of the moon, or western Europe? Maybe the board is still rectangular with all sorts of charts and things surrounding this unusual round map?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Three player strategic ETO games suck for the US/British side, at least in face to face gaming. I've tried both Axis Empire and Europe Engulfed. When I say it sucks, I mean there is too much downtime watching the Russians / Germans fight. You still have interesting decisions, but you better have something else to do. So, something like this or Barbarossa to Berlin gets my attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the aesthetic, but would be concerned about the effect of such a zoomed out scale. There are a ton of new ETO games in the pipeline, and I'll be curious to see how things shake out. (Am already in for Unconditional Surrender and Triumph and Tragedy.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
I know the playable-in-a-night WWII ETO game for me is out there ("or will be," hopefully this year); I wonder whether it'll be this, or Triumph & Tragedy, or Churchill, or Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe (although it looks like that one isn't in the playable-in-a-night category).

seanmac wrote:
There are a ton of new ETO games in the pipeline, and I'll be curious to see how things shake out. (Am already in for Unconditional Surrender and Triumph and Tragedy.)

At least this one doesn't start in 1933...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
blockhead wrote:
Berlin to Moscow is 5 hexes. I'll try to keep an open mind, but my goodness, how the hell do you have any sort of movement on a scale that restricted?

Strategic games don't need a sense of movement.

There are enough hexes on the map to allow the Wehrmacht to separate into three directions after Barbarossa. In France they can either advance through the Low Countries or the Maginot Line. An Allied invasion can take place in either Normandy or Pas de Calais. Italy similarly has several areas available to invasion by sea.

I think that covers all strategic movement choices that came up during World War Two. In the other cases it was pretty clear where to attack a country once the decision to attack it had been made. Is there really a need to put 20 hexes of Russian plain into the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
kuhrusty wrote:

Oh yeah, I knew I was forgetting one! Is the plan for that to come out this year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
Oh yeah, I knew I was forgetting one! Is the plan for that to come out this year?

Alas, next year is more likely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
The map is a bit weird but actually I like it. It's like looking at some 13th century map of the world, with 1939 borders and geographical knowledge superimposed.

I'll keep an eye on it. WW2 in a day is something of a holy grail. Be something I could play while the other guy is moving in WIF...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sukunai Yori
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Upside to block games, they are awesome.
Downside to block games, basically zero solitaire worth.

I owned the Front Games, and I WANTED them to be part of my collection. But when an opponent is something of a fluke experience, a game with no capacity for solo really is not earning shelf space much.

There is no future for any wargame in my life if I can't play it by myself without effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Is that a Lazy Susan cover?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ross
Scotland
Motherwell
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good spot, I'll be keeping an eye on this one too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:

The round board is interesting, but would make more sense if this were 3-player. ("Why strategic WWII-in-Europe games have to be 3-player")

Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe cannot be played in a night, at least not the full campaign scenarios. There are some scenarios dealing with individual smaller campaigns that can be.

Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:

Yes, the Cataclysm: A Second World War game looks really cool !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Henning
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This one looks like it will be good:

Cataclysm: A Second World War

I know someone who play tested it and he said it is one of the best games he has played. It is on my radar.

That being said I enjoy columbia games but I am not sure block games make a lot of sense for a game of this scale as fog of war is very minimal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bartholomew

Lancaster
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to this. Is there more information out there yet? BGG page? Consim?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vikingwarrior wrote:

That being said I enjoy columbia games but I am not sure block games make a lot of sense for a game of this scale as fog of war is very minimal.

I don't know why you say that ?

I am sure the Russian player would never suspect that the Germans are going either for Leningrad, Moscow or Stalingrad.

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AHdave wrote:
Looking forward to this. Is there more information out there yet? BGG page? Consim?

I think what's in the 1st post is it. It was in Columbia's latest newsletter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.