Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent and dragons

the north passage has an Orc smasher/ a dragon shield kobold / a bear/ a cultist/ a orc barbarian and orc chieftain, and i didn't place grell in the final round! ! about 7 monsters all under ranger control!

Using descent dungeon tiles for D&DAS games..

in the descent 2nd ed forums i post a deck of card images to print to create a random dungeon,
as i've been trying to integrate the dungeon command tiles i thought i try the Descent game tiles too, as they have a great indoor and outdoor option, and its almost seamless and give a few interesting quirks to the game

Result below:-

I made my dungeon deck cards and the random chose 5 rooms and 5 corridor cards and shuffled them for my top 10 cards of a dungeon pile, I planed on exploring to card/tile 9 and then placing the villain in the next room drawn to simulate a typical D&DAS game ( not included sentry bottom drawn cards)

I played using monster tokens, that is when I reveal a new tile I reveal a monster token which can be 0 1 2 or 3 monsters,

(if you don't have these just place a monster per tile as usual.)

After revealed the 1st tile I realized we have no black arrows for encounters , so i quickly drafted in the Grey and Black dice from descent and decided when I reveal a new tile I will roll these dice, if I roll 3 or under shields i'd play an encounter that turn, with otherwise normal D&DAS rules,

Another factor to consider is all D&D tiles are 4x4 and technically quite open, I didn’t think this much of a problem, but it change the split the party mechanic as discussed below,

A final problem is no Bone/scorch/mushroom patches on the tiles , easy fix play the monster at the furthers edge, I think Advanced dungeons and dragons had that rule.

But in my 1st game hack combi test so lest see..

I thought the Descent tile might link up more naturally creating dungeon loops!, but I think I might need to create a dungeon card or two called “link” which if drawn and there seems like a possible room link up with 3 or less tiles make that connection other wise draw a new random card from the bottom of the dungeon deck and place that tile as normal.

(this may or may not require a fix but in the test game i had a definite 2 unconnected paths that random tile draw would seem quite rare to connect, )

It wasn’t to far from a normal DADAS game, its nice to brake out of the 4x4 tile dungeon mould, not sure if it was freak game but my ranger took the north path pretty much alone encountered 80% of the monsters

While my thief and paladin took an east exit and hit traps and single long corrider type path meaning my last player the thief was drawing encounters each turn with no new brake of paths to try or dungeon paths loops to create, so they ended up in quite a trapped passage! Boulders and lava flows and less monsters!

On the pick below where the boulder tile is. I took Dungeon Master privallge and made the dungeon east and north path join, this is when I came up with the “link” dungeon card idea.
I reckon a few more play tests will nail it..

After I hit tile 9, I drew a few more corridors and then the chapel type room and encountered a random villain and drew Jarl axle of the Drizzit Game,

I tend to play monsters by moving them to the closest tile need to attack and too the monsters favor for other tactics, such as Jarl Axles attack and move away 1 tile, he will move out of attack range not to a spot next to a hero.

in this 1st test run game I lost 2 surge tokens and the next turn I would have been dead next turn but I pulled of the win, with a treasure granting a re-roll..! (dice and card lucky!)

All in all good test run, felt very much like a normal D&DAS game with a few twists

to me this Combi hack - Gets money out of both games Descent, and D&DAS games, with minimum modifications

So things to come i may make a few "link if possible" cards for the dungeon deck, and a "target dungeon tile" card to simulate revealing a quest or villain room,

Now it might have been a 1 off or uncommon no link/loop occurrence and again some people might like that and not want a fix but another fix would be custom encounter or treasure cards like the "secret passage" from Drizzit that allow the heros to place counter that links up 2 dungeon tiles for quick movement. I know I’ve had that card in the normal AD&DAS game and its not that useful as the dungeon is small all things considered often a double move will get you there if need. In the game above a if I didn’t link up the 2 paths i could have double moves either the ranger down or the thief and paladin up so maybe I should just keep that as a game decision to make. …

Any way not sure how many of you own multiple dungeon crawl type games hope you like the idea and the experience of game combinations.. to its the fun of inventing and like a mini expansion

Pic to be uploaded soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Aguirre
United States
Rochester Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting mash-up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Not quite sure I am following that well, but well enough to see some interesting ideas herein.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.