Can Pastilla
Illes Balears
flag msg tools
¡¡¡A por el próximo!!!
badge
¡Ouch!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The player who triggered the end must finish his turn in full. It was his last turn of the game. Then each of the other players has one more turn.

This is from the english rules.

Yesterday I played this game for the first time. We had a brief rules introduction and went ahead with the game. It was fun to see how everything was deeper than it seemed, and had more layers than expected. But when we got to the end of the game and rules were remembered, we all read the previous sentence to find out that the player who triggered the end was in a clear disadvantage. In a 4 player game, if it was the last player, all the other players had AN EXTRA turn. If it had been the second player, there would have been ONE player with an EXTRA turn more than the others.

Had I been aware of this rule, maybe I would have played different (hiding behind like you do in Power Grid). Gathering resources for that final leap.

I do not know if people are playing this correctly, because I have read all the reviews and NOT even one mentions this fact (actually they almost all have this rule wrong) (OR MAYBE I HAVE IT WRONG?)

Anyway, it certainly adds another layer of complexity that might be intended. It can be that catch-up mechanic so much requested in other thread.

So my question is... am I the only one that noticed this or maybe it is not that important?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The player who ends the game typically just finished spending all their cubes to build stuff for points. If they had another turn, they would most likely have to stop at the castle and cover up one of their workers. So it's usually in that players favor to not have another turn after ending the game.

Remember that when you stop at the castle, you can only hold onto 3 resources (Total). It's not easy to hoard up resources in this game. Usually in a best-case scenario you save 3 resources and generate 5 more, for a total of 8 resources to build 4 pieces with. Usually this means that you spend one lap around your board not building anything at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
doom 18
Spain
Can Pastilla
Illes Balears
flag msg tools
¡¡¡A por el próximo!!!
badge
¡Ouch!
mbmbmbmbmb
what you say is quite eye opener, for you might NOT be interested in having another turn, as you finely mention. I will think about it. I still think that first player might have some advantage, and would like something done (maybe give 3VP to the 4th player, 2VP to the 3rd and 1VP to the 2nd).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Faulkner
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
doom18 wrote:
what you say is quite eye opener, for you might NOT be interested in having another turn, as you finely mention. I will think about it. I still think that first player might have some advantage, and would like something done (maybe give 3VP to the 4th player, 2VP to the 3rd and 1VP to the 2nd).

Are you forgetting that players select 2 starting tiles in reverse order such that the first player only gets a choice from 3 tiles? I played last night and as 1st player felt the better choice of starting tiles more than compensated those going later in turn order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Tobias
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
JimF wrote:
doom18 wrote:

Are you forgetting that players select 2 starting tiles in reverse order such that the first player only gets a choice from 3 tiles? I played last night and as 1st player felt the better choice of starting tiles more than compensated those going later in turn order.
Especially as the last player won
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brunger
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mike Tobias wrote:
JimF wrote:
doom18 wrote:

Especially as the last player won

And last night the last player won again, easily. Only this time it was you, eh Mike?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonely Boardgamer
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
Don't see any disadvantage here. You can always plan your final move, if you're ahead of the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.