Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the effects in the terrain chart apply to both attacker and defender unless otherwise specified, or only to the attacker? For example, do defending tanks in forest have their combat factors reduced? Likewise, are mechanized units halved when defending in a city?

At first, I assumed this only affected the attacker, but 12.4 says "The terrain occupied by the defending unit may influence the combat strength of defending or attacking units," and the terrain effects chart does not always specify.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ted raicer
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
If the effect applies, then terrain in the defending hex affects both attacker and defender (so woods, swamps, and cities are not the best place for armor, though woods don't affect mech or motorized).

Ted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Ted!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Brewer
United States
Monticello
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So what does "Defender +1" mean for towns? I'm guessing it is 1 column shift left? Or does it mean +1 CF?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Allen
United States
Salisbury
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's plus 1 combat factor. Any place that gives a shift says shift on it such as a river.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Brewer
United States
Monticello
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. It's strange because other terrains that adjust the combat factor specifically mention CF. The chart isn't consistent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrBrewhaha wrote:
Hmmm. It's strange because other terrains that adjust the combat factor specifically mention CF. The chart isn't consistent.

I know. But I think that's what it means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Marjoram
United States
Harbor City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aro246 wrote:
DrBrewhaha wrote:

I know. But I think that's what it means.

Correct. Apologies for the lack of consistent wording, which I agree leaves room for doubt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Nitovuori
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the town defensive bonus (+1), and the defensive works soviet bonus given for EACH defender in the defending hex? Four defenders would get +4CF total, or is it only +1CF total?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Daniels
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK- Here's a question that is not specifically mentioned in the rules:

Soviet Tactical Assets. Are these air units affected by the Terrain Effects Chart?
8.3 mentions "adds it's combat factor" to the defending total;
12.0 mentions "increase the strength of the attacker or defender;"
12.2 mentions "all units in the defending hex defend together." The TEC mentions "Defender Doubled," for example being in mountain terrain.
The only thing that comes close as I read it is 12.4 "terrain occupied by the defending unit may influence the combat strength of defending or attacking units."
Are they similar to Assault guns 16.1 "it is a combat marker only. Neither is it affected by defensive terrain." I have yet to see air units or factors doubled defensively in any games I've played (and I've played a few...)but it never hurts to ask, right?

Some clarification, please...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nico, it is +1 total, not each unit:

Quote:
Soviet Defensive Works add one combat factor to the total strength of defending Soviet units.

Towns should be the same.

Derek, You are right, it doesn't specifically say, but I would just add the air modifier after any halving or doubling. I can't see why aircraft would be affected by the Kerch strait, for instance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.