BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Computer Based Board Gaming

Subject: Recommendations for a fresh iPad owner rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcin Mościcki
msg tools
Where is Ishtar's nipple??!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I went against my believes and bought myself a new iPad. The choice was finally made because of supposedly much better availability of games of all types, and in roughly 18% because I finally would be now able to play Space Hulk. I was a bit suprised to see that with virtually no experience with the board version I was able to go through most missions without losses on my first try. Warhammer Quest, while lavish and quite addictive for a short time, proved even more mindless.

So, what good games are there that have a challenging AI? I'm interested both in heavier euros (Agricola seemed a sure candidate until I heard the bots are avarage at best) which could up my game before facing vets, and perhaps even more so ameritrashes, as I just don't get to play them in real life.

At the risk of going off topic, I would also welcome original titles and not only board game ports, as long as they are of strategic or tactical nature rather than real time dexterity games.

I would be sorely dissapointed if iOS games followed PC games in leaving replayability behind them and becoming rather simple one-time affairs. I like getting beat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found Ticket To Ride to have a nice variation of AI opponents.

I love Eclipse on the Ipad, but the AI doesn't play noticeably different across the difficulty levels, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Loe
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my favorites, but your mileage may vary:

Boardgames
Tichu
Suburbia
Ascension
Neuroshima Hex
Tigris and Euphrates
Brief History of the World
Le Havre

Not Boardgames
Boson X
Stratosphere
Organ Trail
The Room and The Room 2
Sorcery 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
San Juan

Kingdom Builder

Alhambra

all have good AI's though these games wouldn't be considered heavy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphy
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Fore!
mbmbmbmbmb
Panzer Corps has blown me away. Here's a great review of the game and a great site in general for iPad game reviews: http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/review-panzer-corps-ipa...

(also Ace Patrol is great and perhaps more accessible)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The game I keep coming back to is SpaceChem. If you're at all intrigued by computer programming, this is the puzzly logic game for you. Excellent review (of the original PC version, the iOS version is very similar. I own both):
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/01/10/wot-i-think-space...

boardgames:
Agricola (fantastic)
Suburbia (though multiplayer is messed up)
Others I have yet to play (Brief History, Nightfall, Eclipse, Le Havre, Tigris & Euphrates, few others)

Non-boardgames:
Empire - The DeckBuilding Strategy game (haven't played but I love deckbuilders and love strategy games. This is a game where you WILL lose, the only question is how long can you hold out)

Civilization Revolution (I bought most of the in-app DLC but what irks me is the lack of an in-game CivOPedia, though there is a link in-game which auto-opens a great webpage)

Frozen Synapse - One of the best simple turn-based tactical games I've ever played.

None of the above require dexterity.
Two articles to help you out: http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/25895/ios-board-games-gift...

http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/25935/ios-board-games-gift...

And a great website: http://ipadboardgames.org/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjy Simpson
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I absolutely love New World Colony. I've also had a blast with Stone Age, Ticket to Ride, and Civ revolution. Playing go and ireversi is nice as well, and Hive is fun as is wits to wagers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elle Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Ghost Stories, Agricola, Eclipse, and Le Havre. They all are great implementations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Vore
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
Send me a trade offer!
badge
I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola, Ticket to Ride, Ascension, Pandemic are the most played on mine at the moment. I love them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I can't believe nobody suggested Elder Sign: Omens yet.
Also:
Ascension
Neuroshima Hex
Lords of Waterdeep
Small World 2
Summoner Wars
Yggdrasil

Shadowrun
Ace Patrol
Solforge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roth
United States
cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 TO Lords of Waterdeep

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.