Mage Wars Arena» Forums » General

Subject: Does anyone run out of room in a particular zone for cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kay McCormick
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I had an experience with Mage Wars where I ran out of room in a particular zone for all the creatures I had moved to the zone. Is this typical for people? I was trying to congregate my creatures for a group heal spell. We were both newbies to the game, so this condition could have been the result of poor play by both sides.

It this something that happens a lot? Are people unable to fit all the cards in a zone actually in the zone without overlapping the edges? How have you dealt with this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This happens CONSTANTLY! I wish the squares were 150% their size. Especially in 4 player games.

We try to put as many cards off the table as we can that are on the mage. There is no real way around it outside of putting a marker to remind you what's there and then put the cards off to the side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's quite common, unfortunately. Although I'm not quite sure how they could fix it. Bigger squares = a mega huge board, but it might be worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happens a lot, but I also play 4 player games. Maybe stack your cards? Also slide any enchantments underneath their target and move unnecessary cards off the board (such as equipments for your mage).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McConnell
United States
Sweeny
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Few things that could help;

1: Put equipment off the board next to your Mage's stat board/card. I assumed this from the beginning and found it strange when I saw piles of equips on the board in videos and pictures.

2: If you have multiples of the same creature in the same space without enchantments, stack them.

3: If conjurations are in a space on the edge of the board that is getting too crowded, put it next to the board in a way that you still know it occupies that space. This is especially the case with the druid.

4. If a space gets WTF IS GOING ON crowded, put a marker in that space and take the cards onto a bigger surface, or another table, with the same marker to represent which space they occupy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfie6407 wrote:

1: Put equipment off the board next to your Mage's stat board/card. I assumed this from the beginning and found it strange when I saw piles of equips on the board in videos and pictures.

How bizarre that people don't do this already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another solution is to attack more aggressively to kill the Mage. Don't let creatures distract you from the purpose of why you are in the arena. If players spend time building up armies before engaging the opponent, then large zones of creatures can result.

Also, increase the use of zone attacks in your spell books. This will quickly teach a creature-stacking mage to spread out their forces some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
I was about to post the exact same question. I only played a couple of times and I love this game, but the logistics are awful.

It's too much to move everything around constantly. At some point we started to pretend that square X was also part of square Y.

And after reading this thread, I see there isn't any solution to the problem.
I was hoping maybe I missed something in the rules about a max amount of creatures or something. Guess not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Area Effect spells work great for this problem . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.