37 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Imperial Aces Squad Ideas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kelvan 1138
msg tools
So I've been toying around with ideas for Imperial Aces. I've come to the conclusion that I tend to value hitpoints at higher agility. I like the idea of a 5hp interceptor with PTL. It'll play like a more agile Vader with 3 attack dice. That's one tough ship.

I can't decide if I'd rather fly with the AOE debuff that is carnor jax or fly with Howlrunner potentially taking more shots. Thoughts?

**EDIT: There was an issue brought up later in the thread, the voidstate builder has issues with the royal guard tie title and I fixed the extra modifications**

===================
Royal Guard Squad
===================

Is this better?

100 points

Pilots
------

Royal Guard Pilot (32)
TIE Interceptor (22), Push the Limit (3), Royal Guard TIE (0), Hull Upgrade (3), Shield Upgrade (4)

Omicron Group Pilot (24)
Lambda-Class Shuttle (21), Darth Vader (3)

Howlrunner (20)
TIE Fighter (18), Swarm Tactics (2)

Academy Pilot (12)

Academy Pilot (12)

or this?

==================
Carnor Squad
==================

Click to change squadron details

100 points

Pilots
------

Carnor Jax (36)
TIE Interceptor (26), Push the Limit (3), Royal Guard TIE (0), Shield Upgrade (4), Hull Upgrade (3)

Backstabber (16)

Academy Pilot (12)

Academy Pilot (12)

Omicron Group Pilot (24)
Lambda-Class Shuttle (21), Darth Vader (3)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Poppie
msg tools
Read Royal Guard card again it says "You may equip up to 2 different modification cards not 2 of the same or 2 of the same plus another or your math is atrocious

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Godballe
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
big poppie 7718 wrote:
Read Royal Guard card again it says "You may equip up to 2 different modification cards not 2 of the same or 2 of the same plus another or your math is atrocious

I think the OP just copied his list from a squad builder and something fell out.

It's evident from the following:

"Royal Guard Pilot (32)
TIE Interceptor (22), Push the Limit (3), Royal Guard TIE (0), Hull Upgrade (3)"

Thats only 28 points, but add the Shield Upgrade and you get the 32 points the OP actually prices it at.

Also:

"Carnor Jax (36)
TIE Interceptor (26), Push the Limit (3), Royal Guard TIE (0), Shield Upgrade (4)"

Again, if you add the Hull Upgrade you will get the 36 points he's costing Jax at.

The evidence of some squad builders involvement is here:

"Click to change squadron details"

So, his math isn't atrocious - it's just that for some reason or the other the Shield/Hull Upgrade has been deleted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Jax here do something that 3 Academy couldn't do as well? You are trading 6 red, 9 green, and 9 hull for PS, forcing TL, 3 red, 3 green, and 5 hull. If you are facing more imperials I can see it being a better trade, but with the current rebel horde Jax seems like a less appealing choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse L
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maybe I'm alone on this, but I don't plan on ever using hull upgrade and shield upgrade on interceptors. For me, they are meant to be a ship with high firepower and high agility - it is not meant to take a beating. So IMO, any upgrades should enhance these qualities. Adding hull/shield is okay, but it's expensive. I'd rather make it harder to hit at all than be able to take more hits. Even just 1 hull is plenty if you can't hit the darn thing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The first thing that jumped out at me is the more-or-less unsupported Lambda. I like Suicide Vader, but usually he has a Gunner along to make sure he can actually make some waves early in the game. Here, though, you're spending 24 points and--while your experience might be leading you to a different conclusion--I'm not sure you're going to get much in return for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
designer
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
My group has played a couple games with Jax proxied in, and this has been a fun list:

Jax + Push the Limit + Royal Guard Title + Shield Upgrade + Stealth Device
Fel + Push the Limit + Royal Guard Title + Targeting Computer + Stealth Device
Dark Curse + Stealth
Backstabber + Stealth

Jax & Fel together are really nasty, and Jax really needs that extra shield to keep him alive as he wants to be right in the middle of the action. Targets that get denied actions with Jax are easy pickings for Fel now that he can also target lock.

Dark Curse and Backstabber are just generally difficult to deal with, and Jax's focus/evade denial helps out their attacks too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelvan 1138
msg tools
Dennis Godballe wrote:
big poppie 7718 wrote:

I think the OP just copied his list from a squad builder and something fell out.

It's evident from the following:

"Royal Guard Pilot (32)
TIE Interceptor (22), Push the Limit (3), Royal Guard TIE (0), Hull Upgrade (3)"

Thats only 28 points, but add the Shield Upgrade and you get the 32 points the OP actually prices it at.

Also:

"Carnor Jax (36)
TIE Interceptor (26), Push the Limit (3), Royal Guard TIE (0), Shield Upgrade (4)"

Again, if you add the Hull Upgrade you will get the 36 points he's costing Jax at.

The evidence of some squad builders involvement is here:

"Click to change squadron details"

So, his math isn't atrocious - it's just that for some reason or the other the Shield/Hull Upgrade has been deleted.

This is correct. I will edit the original post for clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelvan 1138
msg tools
Vorpal Sword wrote:
The first thing that jumped out at me is the more-or-less unsupported Lambda. I like Suicide Vader, but usually he has a Gunner along to make sure he can actually make some waves early in the game. Here, though, you're spending 24 points and--while your experience might be leading you to a different conclusion--I'm not sure you're going to get much in return for them.

I've been running suicide Vader since wave 3 started. IMO putting 5 more points on a ship meant to die is difficult. It isn't that hard to kill your own shuttle, with Vader getting usually 2-3 activations all it takes is your enemy wanting to finish off the remaining 4-5 hp left. (On a side note this is the ship I actively want to die, I hate flying it around after the first pass but I can usually get it back for another pass or get it shot at instead of my main ships.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelvan 1138
msg tools
Cptnhalfbeard wrote:
Maybe I'm alone on this, but I don't plan on ever using hull upgrade and shield upgrade on interceptors. For me, they are meant to be a ship with high firepower and high agility - it is not meant to take a beating. So IMO, any upgrades should enhance these qualities. Adding hull/shield is okay, but it's expensive. I'd rather make it harder to hit at all than be able to take more hits. Even just 1 hull is plenty if you can't hit the darn thing

I find that hitpoints work best on high agi ships. Essentially the HP will last longer due to the likelihood of the agi keeping it around longer.

a 5hp interceptor with PTL will survive longer than any small ship in the game either by focus/evading or getting out of arc.(there may be an argument for kyle, expert handling, engine, chewie crew being tougher) It's an incredible dogfighter.

I specifically like the idea for Carnor, As he's an AOE debuff he'll be in range 1 of ships more often. Having the extra hp will keep him alive longer to debuff.

I'm not sure if i'd rather have the cheap dogfighter, and howlrunner + swarm to buff the overall offense of the ties (and sometimes the shuttle) or if I'd rather have the Carnor debuff and the extra attack die from backstabber.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelvan 1138
msg tools
armoredgear7 wrote:
My group has played a couple games with Jax proxied in, and this has been a fun list:

Jax + Push the Limit + Royal Guard Title + Shield Upgrade + Stealth Device
Fel + Push the Limit + Royal Guard Title + Targeting Computer + Stealth Device
Dark Curse + Stealth
Backstabber + Stealth

Jax & Fel together are really nasty, and Jax really needs that extra shield to keep him alive as he wants to be right in the middle of the action. Targets that get denied actions with Jax are easy pickings for Fel now that he can also target lock.

Dark Curse and Backstabber are just generally difficult to deal with, and Jax's focus/evade denial helps out their attacks too.

This is an interesting list. I'm really excited for targeting computer for Fel (evade, focus, target lock ftw!) Although I for one prefer hull upgrade over stealth for the squints.

My concern is Dark Curse, I'm not a fan of his. He's a highly defensive ship with no offense. He won't get shot at often unless you do a lot of work to make him the only target. I wonder if Bounty Hunter w/ Gunner might not be a better option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelvan1138 wrote:
I've been running suicide Vader since wave 3 started. IMO putting 5 more points on a ship meant to die is difficult. It isn't that hard to kill your own shuttle, with Vader getting usually 2-3 activations all it takes is your enemy wanting to finish off the remaining 4-5 hp left. (On a side note this is the ship I actively want to die, I hate flying it around after the first pass but I can usually get it back for another pass or get it shot at instead of my main ships.)

I'm with vorpal, personally. I'll trade that 5 points for two crits on an interceptor, or a flubbed roll against a Falcon. I think I've gotten at least two free crits per game out of the gunner, in addition to whatever extra damage the second roll gets me. And I want it to die on the first pass, because beyond that it is too easy to simply avoid the arc. It also lets you be more liberal with that red 0, because you don't worry about needing a focus/TL to stick damage. It is almost half a TIE just to get it killed quicker, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelvan 1138
msg tools
I guess i'm just not having a problem killing off my own shuttle. I understand that i can get damage out faster with gunner, but the 5 points just seem like a waste when the ship is going to die anyway.

That's the difference between Howlrunner with swarm or nightbeast in my list second list. It's not worth it to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
kelvan1138 wrote:
I guess i'm just not having a problem killing off my own shuttle. I understand that i can get damage out faster with gunner, but the 5 points just seem like a waste when the ship is going to die anyway.

Well, it's like this: those 5 points are sort of the equivalent of a missile. Vader's going to eventually get that damage out anyway, it's just a matter of when he does it--and to me the crits matter most when they happen early in the match rather than late.

But as I said upthread, your experience might be telling you something different than mine tells me, so if OMG+Vader works for you it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelvan 1138
msg tools
Vorpal Sword wrote:
kelvan1138 wrote:

Well, it's like this: those 5 points are sort of the equivalent of a missile. Vader's going to eventually get that damage out anyway, it's just a matter of when he does it--and to me the crits matter most when they happen early in the match rather than late.

But as I said upthread, your experience might be telling you something different than mine tells me, so if OMG+Vader works for you it works.

absolutely, and the ability to attempt to miss early, vader, and then use a focused or TL'ed shot and then vader again is incredible offense. Really its just the points for me those 5 points go a long way on the other ships.

I guess I do a good job setting my shuttle up to die. Realistically I want 3-4 activations of Vader and the enemy finishing the shuttle off. My average is probably closer to 3. That leaves 4 hp for the enemy to chew through, normally an opponent obliges.

I do this by creating a path for my shuttle to fly through. Asteroids are placed all on my side of the table in a corner. The idea is to create a wall to prevent flanks on the shuttle. The shuttle is placed in a corner and will either hard turn or head straight around the asteroid ball. I've yet to get less than 2 shots in the first pass and I'll usually get 3. At this point the shuttle is one of the most hurt ships and will usually get shot at. Keep in mind I actively want the shuttle getting shot at, either it or in this list the academies (who hopefully will be blocking or at range 1 75% or the time).

As Robert is aware, I've been a pretty strong proponent of suicide vader and I flew him at worlds and went 4-1 with him (still pretty bitter about the worlds tie breakers). It has been my most effective ship since wave 3.

One could argue that my flank ships (the squints in either list) don't need to be built so tough. But that's a dogfighter than can probably win just about any one on one fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Four Horsemen

Soontir + PTL (30)
Turr + VI (26)
Tetran + VI (26)
Mauler + VI (18)

Here are 4 ships all at skill 9 who each roll 4 attack dice at range 1. Tetran is the pilot who can do a 1K, 3K, or 5K turn. This is a perfect ability for a skill 9 pilot as when trying to leap a charging opponent, you can pick the one that gives you the best shot after they move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, I did not get a chance to use the gunner in a game this weekend. I still like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelvan 1138
msg tools
Piqsid wrote:
The Four Horsemen

Soontir + PTL (30)
Turr + VI (26)
Tetran + VI (26)
Mauler + VI (18)

Here are 4 ships all at skill 9 who each roll 4 attack dice at range 1. Tetran is the pilot who can do a 1K, 3K, or 5K turn. This is a perfect ability for a skill 9 pilot as when trying to leap a charging opponent, you can pick the one that gives you the best shot after they move.

This is interesting. I'm surprised you're so willing to go without ptl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy betsch
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
I like the idea of the 3X build translated to Ints

Soontir (27)
-Adrenaline Rush (1, or drop for 99 points for initiative)
-RGT (0)
-Hull Upgrade (3)
-Shield Upgrade (4)
Turr Phennir (25)
-Veteran Instincts (1)
-RGT (0)
-Hull Upgrade (3)
-Shield Upgrade (4)
Tetran Cowall (24)
-Veteran Instincts (1)
-RGT (0)
-Hull Upgrade (3)
-Shield Upgrade (4)

Each Int's stats become 9/3/3/4/1 with their crazy dials. Soontir doesn't worry about stress tokens as much because of focus, Turr can dodge out of the way with free barrel rolls, and Tetran has the amazing 1 K-turn ability, as well as variable K-turns.

An alternative at 99 could be:
Soontir (27)
-Push the Limit (3)
-RGT (0)
-Hull Upgrade (3)
-Stealth Device (3)
Turr Phennir (25)
-Veteran Instincts (1)
-RGT (0)
-Hull Upgrade (3)
-Stealth Device (3)
Tetran Cowall (24)
-Veteran Instincts (1)
-RGT (0)
-Hull Upgrade (3)
-Stealth Device (3)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kelvan1138 wrote:
Piqsid wrote:
The Four Horsemen

Soontir + PTL (30)
Turr + VI (26)
Tetran + VI (26)
Mauler + VI (18)

This is interesting. I'm surprised you're so willing to go without ptl.

I'm not. But in order to get 4 9's you have to. Just throwing things against the wall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle G
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Soontir Fel, push the limit, targeting computer, stealth device
Turr Phennir, push the limit, targeting computer, stealth device
Tetran Cowall, push the limit, targeting computer, stealth device

royal guard titles used, obviously. replace stealth device with hull upgrade as desired

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Effenhoog wrote:
Soontir Fel, push the limit, targeting computer, stealth device
Turr Phennir, push the limit, targeting computer, stealth device
Tetran Cowall, push the limit, targeting computer, stealth device

royal guard titles used, obviously. replace stealth device with hull upgrade as desired

101 pts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Duclos
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
Who ya gonna call?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeykins wrote:
Does Jax here do something that 3 Academy couldn't do as well?

Interceptors, especially buffed interceptors, are HELLA FUN! It is SO much fun to boost and barrel roll in and out of firing arcs, and use all the cool interceptor pilot abilities.

Edit: Punctuation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelvan 1138
msg tools
ghostbusterbob wrote:
monkeykins wrote:
Does Jax here do something that 3 Academy couldn't do as well?

Interceptors, especially buffed interceptors, are HELLA FUN! It is SO much fun to boost and barrel roll in and out of firing arcs, and use all the cool interceptor pilot abilities.

Edit: Punctuation

Jax's aoe debuff ability seems really fun. additionally a 5 hp ptl interceptor seems like it'd be a total pain to kill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelvan 1138
msg tools
The question to me seems to be if jax is really 4 points better than the royal guard tie?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.