12 Posts

Goa» Forums » General

Subject: Casual player - play or not? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i have a decent size game collection and play casually (only as 2 players with same partner), preferring medium weight games that last 90 min max. i usually stay away from games that require too much "effort" to figure out due to my limited game-play time and dislike of "brain burners" and AP. in addition, most of my games are played on a rotation basis, meaning everything gets played fairly evenly.

over the holidays, i picked up a few heavier games and was wondering if its worth investing the time to (learn &) play it, given that i wont play the game often enough to know it well.

so what do you think & why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goa has a lot going on and is very dependant on bidding. I don't think it would work well for 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHRIS HALVORSON
United States
Mill Creek
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome game! The actions are not overwhelming and not time consuming. The real interaction comes from bidding for auction tiles. Getting to know the auction tiles and what's out there is probably the hardest part, but the interaction with how much to bid is just great! The game plays surprisingly well with 2 also! My wife and I love it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakes
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I advise you against trying Goa for two reasons.

It plays best with 4 because then there's a lot of tiles up for auction each round and the most desirable generate big bids. Playing with 3 makes the auction dull in comparison, while 2 could be terrible (although very tactical) as the auction mechanism is one bid each. It's also a game that can be prone to groupthink, with only 2 of you it's likely you'll end up with a fixed approach to the game.

More significantly, it's everything you want to avoid, and although the rules are straightforward enough the game requires a lot of analysis to play well and is very dry.

I think it's a wonderful game but not for you. If you want an economic building game heavier than your current games for 2 I recommend Agricola, although there's lots of lists of games that work well with 2 on the site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klbush wrote:
Goa has a lot going on and is very dependant on bidding. I don't think it would work well for 2.

I used to think this as well, but then I tried it. Let me tell you, it sounds strange, but Goa is actually very good with two. Whether it would work for a casual gamer is another question, but Goa is undeniably a good 2 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'd advise against Goa casually as well. Its a very interesting resource planning type of game and the spatial auction is pretty neat... but its also extremely dry and mechanical so unless you're into it for the crunchy bits its likely to leave you flat. At least that's my experience introducing it to people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beazer
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look at the videos for Goa, there is one called "Rahdo runs through it". He plays a 2 player game, so you could get a feel for how it would be with just 2.

Here's a link: http://boardgamegeek.com/video/34780/goa/rahdo-runs-through-...

I have watched quite a few of Rahdo's videos and I recommend them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Soto
Uruguay
Montevideo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What games do you frequently play?

I recently acquired Goa and played two times so far, first time with four people and second time just two (with wife).
The rules are heavy (for what I'm used to) and take a bit to digest, but once you start playing, the game doesn't feel that complex and flows pretty smoothly.
While I can see it may get better with repeated plays I really enjoyed it from the first time. The game is quite open, you always have many options and can't get really "stuck" with bad decisions so you always feel like you are progressing.
I actually liked it better with two players so far (quicker, less downtime retaining the same feel) but of course I can't give a definite opinion on my preferred number of players yet.
I can see myself needing to get back to the rulebook for little details if not playing the game for some time, which may be a drawback if you plan to play it once in a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CHRISDH wrote:
The game plays surprisingly well with 2 also! My wife and I love it

With regard to player count I have to agree it works best with 2p. There is less downtime than higher player counts and control of the flag becomes critical because fewer tiles are up for auction each round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Gomez
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One reason I like Goa 2p is that it allows those of us who usually only play 2p to enjoy bidding games. My wife like it very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a really interesting thread.

I also enjoy Goa with 2p for exactly the reasons mentioned in the responses.

It is seldom that seemingly "heavier" games that "seem" to require more players to be played optimally can actually be nicely enjoyed in 2 player mode and retain their quality with the advantage of a shorter play time.

Another game that works great 2p that comes to mind is Troyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Guy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Goa is a somewhat heavy game which plays light. Like Puerto Rico, the game play is more sophisticated than complicated. After a couple of plays, the action flows and you rarely have to look up rules for any situation because everything is logical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.