Andrew Gross
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What are people's thoughts on fielding command tents? Anyone played enough yet to have a firm opinion? Instructive stories to tell?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I use them sometimes, but not every time. They really only let you get (or "upgrade") one or two units more, but in some scenarios where you have a good chance of defending it well, it's worth it.

You just need to be careful that your deployment doesn't force you to put it TOO far forward (or be willing to put decoys in your front line to keep it back further).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
havent had a chance to play yet but i was considering getting a command tent placed as far forward as possible and guard it with the slow moving chaos lord then dare people to try and take it lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
I would use it most times. On one occasion I made a good 50-point army and then put in a command tent to add 5 lore to the mix. It is very hard for an opponent to take, and usually you can find a place to put it where it can be well defended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
havent had a chance to play yet but i was considering getting a command tent placed as far forward as possible and guard it with the slow moving chaos lord then dare people to try and take it lol.

Good call! I didn't think he'd be able to sit on it because of the Massive ability but since the tent is not a building, he's free to guard it!

In my experience (3 solo games) I found the extra unit from the command tent to not be worth the risk. I usually have one or two units that end up sitting the whole game out anyway because I am busy focusing on the frontlines, so to get that extra unit is really pointless.

Another way of looking at is that you're basically getting a discount on your army's muster points so you can get one more unit so that you can use that unit to guard the command tent instead of doing something else. It's like a free liability! (free is good right?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Budgernaut wrote:
Klaxas wrote:

Good call! I didn't think he'd be able to sit on it because of the Massive ability but since the tent is not a building, he's free to guard it!

In my experience (3 solo games) I found the extra unit from the command tent to not be worth the risk. I usually have one or two units that end up sitting the whole game out anyway because I am busy focusing on the frontlines, so to get that extra unit is really pointless.

Another way of looking at is that you're basically getting a discount on your army's muster points so you can get one more unit so that you can use that unit to guard the command tent instead of doing something else. It's like a free liability! (free is good right?)

well having played quite a bit of BL1 its not always about the units you activate. just having a unit that you CAN activate if you want is important.

lets use the chaos lord command tent as an example. lets say i put my command tent on the right side as far forward as i can with a chaos lord next to it (I dont think they both start on the same hex because the command tent uses a deployment card as well i think) and for giggles lets say i have one or two of the archer units back from the chaos lord one being on the line between the right and center. i then put the vast majority of my units in the center and left.

what if i never activate those archers or the chaos lord. were they worthless? were they a waste of points? no. they altered my opponents play just by being there. also having those units guard that flank, allowed me to use most of my cards to attack the center and left relentlessly.

again this is all the theory having not yet played the current edition. although im fairly certain many of the same principles apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jürgen Graf
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:

I don't think it's a good idea to waste an 8-point unit to protect a command tent that gave you 5 points (as long as that's the only job the Chaos Lord does).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Graf wrote:
Klaxas wrote:

I don't think it's a good idea to waste an 8-point unit to protect a command tent that gave you 5 points (as long as that's the only job the Chaos Lord does).

i addressed this in a previous post. also i wouldnt be against getting a command tent and setting it up relatively unguarded as a trap as well. although i still have to look into how viable this is.

units you dont activate are still useful as board presence and threat. as well as to manipulate your opponent into doing what you want him to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clymer
msg tools
It seems risky.

On the other hand, there's some scenarios where it seems fairly easy to defend. It's also good bait to draw your opponent off of their main objectives.

My guess is that with experience it will be a pretty obvious choice for some scenarios and pretty obvious non-choice for others.

Also, as expansions come out, or as people maybe buy a second base set, there may be more options available that make getting that 5 points more attractive. Already I could see plenty of uses for a second Roc, or a fourth unit of flesh ripper brutes and 5 points gets one so close to those options... I just don't have the minis available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Ringlstetter
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Graf wrote:
Klaxas wrote:

I second this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.