David Williams
United States
Vista
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoying my first read through of Retro. As it says a rule that doesn't appear is probably left out on purpose. So are these two examples?

1 No bonus MF factor of 1 for staying on road hexes the entire movement.

2 No residual fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Osborne
England
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that the rules are written as they are as Retro is a set of rules that can be used for several game systems, which may or may not have the examples you have cited. (ASL? )

Anyhow it also says in the rules somewhere that you can add rules back in from the host system that you want to and that Retro is more of a framework than a specific rules set. In places it does say something like using the host rules as normal (morale springs to mind).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Helgeson
United States
Mckinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that these are 2 examples out of potentially hundreds of things that were "deliberately left out." I have found the most difficult part of Retro is leaving out some of those things that have become ingrained in my brain from playing SL/ASL over the years. I have found it a simple, quick playing and enjoyable system that works especially well for solitaire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Vista
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to play ASLSK the Retro way. I was making sure that my reading was correct--there are two examples that are meant to be left out. To paraphrase a Colorforms commercial jingle of the early 60's, that I'm sure no one here knows, "It's more fun to play, the Minden Games way."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Osborne
England
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Previously Gary has said to me, play the game the way the rules are written. If the rules say refer to the host system (i.e. morale) then do that, otherwise stick with what s written. I find it a fast flowing game where rules reference is minimal, this does though lose the subtlety and depth of a full game of the host system. Perhaps I should should just write ASL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.