Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, as you might remember I found out I was losing my job in October. Thinking I had plenty of time to find something before the end of 2013, I wasn't super worried at the time. Then 2013 came to an end, as did my job. Despite months of applications, networking and other stuff, I'd only had two interviews, one at a position that probably wasn't going to meet my needs even if I did get called back.

Starting the new year was scary. I have about a month of severance, but no real prospects. The last 90 days had made me think that I was in for a long-term state of unemployment.

This week I have three interviews for good to great jobs. I got an offer from the one yesterday, nailed the interview today and anticipate an offer and I've got a chance at a really good job tomorrow morning. Worst case scenario at this point is a good job, while I could end up with something fantastic. My biggest problem is that we're sad that we didn't really get to enjoy much time unemployed, but that's certainly a problem I can live with.

Thanks for all the geek support!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy
Germany
flag msg tools
Go Lizards, Go Hogs, Go Illini; and the Army keeps rolling along!
badge
Hillbilly Schwäbisch
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Sounds like this has to do with typical corporate budgeting cycles.

Budgets are haggled over in the fall in anticipation of the coming year.

Those departments that lose out lay off employees in late fall.

Those departments that get money have to wait until the next year (when they get the money) to start hiring.

So you didn't have to worry.

Seriously, good luck on your new job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
I somehow missed the saga, most likely because the posts occurred when I was in a rush. I'd have offered encouragement otherwise.

Somehow things just go slow leading up to Xmas* and New Year. Then there's a surge of new opportunities in the new year. The bit I find the oddest about this is that I hear the same complaints by both (potential, obviously) employers and employees. When somebody quits late in the year, you just know you won't get a replacement until the new year (employers view), and yet if you're seeking employment there'll be nothing available until the new year. I find myself wanting to blame HR (being the ones in the middle), but those I know in HR complain just as bitterly - the ones in recruitment complain about both the high level of vacancies (due to resignations late in the year) and lack of applicants for those vacancies. So I think HR have just given up on trying to recruit late in the year, and it all gets very "hot" in January.

*deliberate use of crossmas instead of Christmas. It seems more appropriate here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
shumyum wrote:
Sounds like this has to do with typical corporate budgeting cycles.

Budgets are haggled over in the fall in anticipation of the coming year.

Those departments that lose out lay off employees in late fall.

Those departments that get money have to wait until the next year (when they get the money) to start hiring.

So you didn't have to worry.

Seriously, good luck on your new job!
Except that... our financial year is July-June, and we suffer the same issues around Xmas-New Year. It may be as simple as lots of people taking time off at that time of year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Didn't get to enjoy much time unemployed"

Not trying to be harsh, but 'enjoying' unemployment is a myth pushed forth by the media to help folks cope with a terrible time. You can always quit your new job or take leave without pay to see how much you enjoy your time off.

Don't buy into the lie that being unemployed without adequate income is something to be enjoyed.

Congrats on the great new job. Enjoy it and have fun there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
okiedokie wrote:
Don't buy into the lie that being unemployed without adequate income is something to be enjoyed.
You assume that everyone that ends up as unemployed does so without "adequate income." I have enjoyed several stints of unemployment in my life where my money situation was A-OK.
I'd say the bigger lie is that everyone needs to go through life permanently tethered to a long-term job in order to safeguard their own emotional stability. BUT, to each their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Aren't you glad I'm not the pied piper?
badge
I should be able to get a good grip on my Elephant when it arrives!
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind a job is never in the bag until it is IN THE BAG! Good luck with your new job. I know what it's like to be in a scary position and wondering if you're going to make it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, lots about being unemployed isn't fun at all, but we still had severance and had set up a routine where I did job search time for a few hours a day and then didn't let it worry me for the rest of the day. Got a lot of good time with the wife and girls, but we had more plans for zoo, museum and dates along with reorganizing the house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck with sealing the deal, Jonny.

I'm in a similar position myself, my role was made redundant in October. I'd been half expecting it myself, and for a few months I had been applying for other jobs as I wasn't completely happy there anyway.. so I guess it worked out in the end.

Due to my tenure and a generous redundancy policy I was sent on my way with the equivalent of 6 months' pay, which helped ease my mind. Lots to worry about with 2 kids (5 months and 5 years) and a wife on maternity leave. It took longer than I expected to find a new job but finally secured a short contract just before christmas that starts this monday.

It was good spending a bit of time with the kids but geez I'm keen to get back to work. It is NOT EASY being a stay at home parent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.