Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michal Sebik
Czech Republic
Prague 10
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mb
I know units can fire through hexes with other units.. But isnt it pity that units cannot hide behind vehicles? This would create many tactical decisions :-)
Michal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzy┼╝ Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the scale of the thing. A single, small vehicle in a hex that represents 30-40 yards across the flats isn't enough cover for a squad, necessarily. On a smaller level, skirmish WWII game (Ambush, Soldiers, Sniper etc) you might see that case.

On this scale of tactical map, I always have a hard time visualizing the single buildings in a hex actually represent a small cluster of buildings. That "farmhouse" is actually the stone house, a small barn, a couple of wooden outbuildings like sheds, and the stone pig pen, spread out over that full hex area. It'd be cool to see map artists try that depiction at this scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Durando
France
Nantes
Pays de La Loire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
On this scale of tactical map, I always have a hard time visualizing the single buildings in a hex actually represent a small cluster of buildings. That "farmhouse" is actually the stone house, a small barn, a couple of wooden outbuildings like sheds, and the stone pig pen, spread out over that full hex area. It'd be cool to see map artists try that depiction at this scale.

This what I had in mind when I began drawing maps for the module I'm working on. I don't think it makes much sense to draw buildings to scale on generic mapboards but working to scale has been interesting on historical sheets. I'm drawing mine from US 1/25k tactical mapsheets (themselves the product of tracing aerial photography), 1944 aerial photography when I can get it, and 1947 photography when I can't.

The differences you'll see once the buildings are drawn to scale is that, in a rural area, they impede movement and line of sight much less. Suddenly built-up positions you might have assigned as a platoon objective become a job for two platoons. I've often mentioned that I've never seen any wooden building in Normandy, ever. (You wouldn't believe how strong the wind can be.) It would be difficult to bring a complete level of fidelity to a gamemap, but I could certainly intellectually justify rules that would limit fire through certain facings of a building--windows to the lee are very small or nonexistant--but I doubt that the difference in terms of in-game effects would be worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.