Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: Encounters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Logan
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There appears to be some discussion of game terms around "encounters". After reading a few different thread I am becoming confused myself. Is anyone able to provide a definitive flow chart or something that shows when exactly certain effects take place (I'm thinking of that discussion about the difference between "before the encounter" and "when encountering") and when exactly an evade can be used/actually happens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Try This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
United States
Kearneysville
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/95118/turn-sequence-breakd...

Well done breakdown by Christian

ninja 'd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Logan
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, very useful. However it doesn't address the issue of "when encountering" and when that happens.

I think the card in question is Warrens. the effect still takes place even if a monster is evaded? I don't have the card in front of me to check the actual wording.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea
Italy
Milan
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Logan8 wrote:
Thanks guys, very useful. However it doesn't address the issue of "when encountering" and when that happens.

I think the card in question is Warrens. the effect still takes place even if a monster is evaded? I don't have the card in front of me to check the actual wording.

Yes the effect still takes place even if the monster is evaded.

"Encountering" is a phase of the game, the phase in which you can choose whether to evade a Monster or encounter it.

On the contrary, if you evade a Monster, you evade "Before the encounter" effect as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
When you evade a card, you ignore everything THAT CARD says. If some other card (location or scenario) says somethingnmust happen when you encounter that kind of card, that effect still triggers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andymase wrote:
Logan8 wrote:

Yes the effect still takes place even if the monster is evaded.

"Encountering" is a phase of the game, the phase in which you can choose whether to evade a Monster or encounter it.

On the contrary, if you evade a Monster, you evade "Before the encounter" effect as well.

The distinction of what evade is and encounter is very important. It should be noted that when you evade a card, the card still counts as encountered, but you do get to ignore the "Before the encounter" and "After the encounter" effects.

The was clarified on the Paizo forum. And I'm copying some of my post from there:

Quote:
To be specific, she gets to avoid the "Before the encounter" and "After the encounter" effects because evading happens before those steps in the

Encountering A Card sequence:
Evade the card (optional).
Apply any effects that happen before the encounter, if needed.
Attempt the check.
Attempt the next check, if needed.
Apply any effects that happen after the encounter, if needed.
Resolve the encounter.

And just like by evading she doesn't have to attempt the check, she doesn't have to activate the Before and After effects either. But evading is still a part of the Encountering a Card Sequence, so evading doesn't change the fact that she did encounter a card. So a location rule about an encountered card applies to an evaded card too.

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2qgsb?Warrens-and-Skinsaw-ritual
http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2qjsl?Cant-evade-a-card-before-e...

If it is an "explored" card, it is encountered the moment you turn it over if you are not "examining". If it is a "summoned" card, it is encountered the moment it is placed before your character to deal with.

Though there has been a lot of confusion over the terminology because of evading negating "before the encounter" and "after the encounter" effects despite the fact an evaded card was still encountered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Essentially, the term "encounter" is ambiguous in this game. In one sense it means, "flipping over a card and reading it," which is nearly synonymous with "explore." And in another sense it means "dealing with a card if you cannot evade it or choose not to evade it". I am already on record in these fora for my distaste of this particular term. It seems to me that encountering a card can only happen after the evade window is closed. I have house-ruled it this way, and the game plays more consistently this way in my opinion. It just seems obvious that if you evade something, you haven't encountered it. Still, that is not the official ruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
brayle wrote:
Essentially, the term "encounter" is ambiguous in this game. In one sense it means, "flipping over a card and reading it," which is nearly synonymous with "explore." And in another sense it means "dealing with a card if you cannot evade it or choose not to evade it". I am already on record in these fora for my distaste of this particular term. It seems to me that encountering a card can only happen after the evade window is closed. I have house-ruled it this way, and the game plays more consistently this way in my opinion. It just seems obvious that if you evade something, you haven't encountered it. Still, that is not the official ruling.

Just think of it this way: whenever an explore (not just an examine), a summon, or any text that specifically says "encounter" happens, an encounter happens. Evading allows you to ignore all text on the evaded card EXCEPT for text that says it can't be evaded or states that the bane is immune to any trait possessed by the boon used to evade. Undead, for example, are immune to the mental trait and so cannot be evaded using the sleep spell. What evading cannot do is ignore the fact that the card WAS encountered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb
csouth154 wrote:
Just think of it this way: whenever an explore (not just an examine), a summon, or any text that specifically says "encounter" happens, an encounter happens. Evading allows you to ignore all text on the evaded card, but not the fact that an encounter happened.

...unless the encountered card specifically says it may not be evaded, or if the encountered card has immunity to a trait associated with the card/power allowing you to evade. In those cases, the text on the encountered card can't be ignored.

In other words, you may evade a card whenever you are allowed to do so, except in situations where you aren't allowed to do so... I think it's safe to say this is true, at least until there's an FAQ update invalidating this tautology

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
QuantumNinja wrote:
csouth154 wrote:
Just think of it this way: whenever an explore (not just an examine), a summon, or any text that specifically says "encounter" happens, an encounter happens. Evading allows you to ignore all text on the evaded card, but not the fact that an encounter happened.

...unless the encountered card specifically says it may not be evaded, or if the encountered card has immunity to a trait associated with the card/power allowing you to evade. In those cases, the text on the encountered card can't be ignored.

In other words, you may evade a card whenever you are allowed to do so, except in situations where you aren't allowed to do so... I think it's safe to say this is true, at least until there's an FAQ update invalidating this tautology

Good clarification. I'll amend my post to reflect it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the easiest way to think about it is like this (this isn't very pretty):

Turn Overview
1. Advance the blessings deck.
2. *Give a card to another character at the same location.
3. *Move to another location.
4. *Explore the top card of the location deck. If you perform this step the card is encountered and you begin the Encounter a Card sequence noted as below. Check for immunities on the encountered card.
4.1. *You may evade the card if you are able to do so. If you do so shuffle it back into the deck unless instructed otherwise. It is not defeated and it is not undefeated. If you evaded, ignore the rest of step 4. Either restart step 4 if you explore again or move immediately to step 5.
4.2. Apply any effects that happen before the encounter, if needed.
4.3. Attempt the check.
4.3.1. Determine which die you’re using.
4.3.2. Determine the difficulty.
4.3.3. *Play cards and use powers that affect the check.
4.3.4. Assemble your dice.
4.3.5. Attempt the roll.
4.3.6. Take damage if you lose a check against a monster.
4.4. Attempt the next check, if needed.
4.4.1. Determine which die you’re using.
4.4.2. Determine the difficulty.
4.4.3. *Play cards and use powers that affect the check.
4.4.4. Assemble your dice.
4.4.5. Attempt the roll.
4.4.6. Take damage if you lose a check against a monster.
4.5. Apply any effects that happen after the encounter, if needed.
4.6. Resolve the encounter.
5. If there are cards remaining in the location and you are able to explore again and chose to do so, restart step 4.
6. *Try to close a location if it doesn't have any cards.
7. Reset your hand by discarding any cards if you like, then discarding down to or drawing up to your hand size.
8. End your turn.
*These step are optional.

Encountering A Summoned Monster
1. The card is considered encountered immediately. Check for immunities on the encountered card.
2. *You may evade the card if you are able to do so. If you do so shuffle it back into the deck unless instructed otherwise. It is not defeated and it is not undefeated. If you evaded, ignore the rest of step 2 and follow the instructions on the summoning card.
2.1. Apply any effects that happen before the encounter, if needed.
2.2. Attempt the check.
2.2.1. Determine which die you’re using.
2.2.2. Determine the difficulty.
2.2.3. *Play cards and use powers that affect the check.
2.2.4. Assemble your dice.
2.2.5. Attempt the roll.
2.2.6. Take damage if you lose a check against a monster.
2.3. Attempt the next check, if needed.
2.3.1. Determine which die you’re using.
2.3.2. Determine the difficulty.
2.3.3. *Play cards and use powers that affect the check.
2.3.4. Assemble your dice.
2.3.5. Attempt the roll.
2.3.6. Take damage if you lose a check against a monster.
2.4. Apply any effects that happen after the encounter, if needed.
2.5. Resolve the encounter.
*These step are optional.

What they did on the back of the rulebook was try to simplify all that down. That's a tough task to do.

There are some turn sequence docs in the files section here that I think cover all this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.