Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Nuske
Australia
Donvale
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suppose my colony is level 2 and I have chosen the alternate colony tile that doesnt require me to discard excess resources.

On my turn I place 1 nurse in the atlier and then 1 worker on the colony tile so I dont have to discard resources (lets say I have 12 resources).

The nurse is used to complete the objective that requires me to downgrade my colony by 1 level.
1. What happens to the alternate level 2 colony tile I had been using?
2. What happens to the worker that was on the alternate level 2 colony tile?
3. Do I forfeit the ability to not discard resources in the end of turn phase?

This situation came up in one of our games on the very last season before the last winter. So knowing whether the food in storage was safe was critical to end game scoring.

Hopefully it all makes sense.

Thanks

Brett
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Schwartz
United States
Sturgis
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
junkmonsta wrote:
1. What happens to the alternate level 2 colony tile I had been using?

I can't provide any definitive answer, but based on my experience with the base game, I would assume that you relinquish all claim to the second level of your colony once you downgrade. This interpretation would mean the alternate colony tile would be returned to the supply immediately.

junkmonsta wrote:
2. What happens to the worker that was on the alternate level 2 colony tile?

Again, no definitive answer here, but I would think that the worker would be immediately returned to your supply upon downgrading, to be available for use the following year.

junkmonsta wrote:
3. Do I forfeit the ability to not discard resources in the end of turn phase?

You will remember that the Atelier phase comes just prior to the "Discard Cubes" phase. My interpretation, for what it's worth, would mean that since you have downgraded your colony prior to the Discard phase you would have indeed lost the ability to keep all 12 cubes.

My interpretations aside, the rules for the mini-expansion read as follows - "When advancing a new colony level, a player can take one of the 4 alternative colony tiles (of the level he would have reached normally) and place it on his personal board, above the default level. He has now the new powers described below until the end of the game (instead of normal ones)." "Level II (grey): for a worker action, this player doesn’t discard any cube this turn during phase 6".

These two clauses would seem to indicate that despite downgrading prior to the Discard phase you would not be required to discard any cubes; furthermore, it sounds as if once you have upgraded to an alternate tile, you would get to keep it and the special abilities it allows even after downgrading. It seems hard to believe that this was the designer's intent, but that's how I would translate the rules as written. This is an intriguing set of questions and one I hope the designer weighs in on.

Edited to include rulebook references.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.