Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Thing, Nightcrawler, and Cyclops faced off against Dr. Doom and the Legacy Virus. They were at a severe disadvantage right off the bat, because both Doom and the Virus are all about technology...of which the heroes had none. I quickly deduced that they had to move fast to take out the Mastermind himself and ignore the villains and henchmen.

The Virus came on strong, inflicting lots of wounds on the heroes, but they just focused on recruiting and left the villains have the run of the city. Soon I began to accumulate some powerful attacks with Thing, and Nightcrawler was teleporting all over the place.

I began to take down Dr. Doom. A few villains escaped, a few bystanders got captured, but I stayed on Dr. Doom...and knocked him out. The Thing's knuckle sandwiches, in combination with the sudden appearance of the Nightcrawler out of nowhere--along with the occasional blast from Cyclops made short work of the good Doctor.

A very fun game, because it at first appeared hopeless until I reasoned out the right strategy. A very attractive feature of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmbmb
Good strategy: Legacy Virus is killer without tech heroes.

I always like to see what other people's strategies are- do you focus on recruit points with heroes that have a lot of focus, do you go out for attack, do you hit the MM first, or bide your time to build up some VPs? That sort of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done, Robert! That's a very difficult scheme to beat without a tech hero, but, as you've shown, it can be done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys. I'm pretty new to the system, so my strategy is far from optimal. I try to focus on recruitment at first (obviously), but from what I can tell so far, it seems that the system confronts you with very different challenges. Sometimes you have to focus on knocking out villains, rescuing bystanders, etc. Other times it's better payoff to ignore the villains and wallop the mastermind relentlessly.

I did play one the other day that I simply could not beat. I tried to post it, but BGG system wouldn't take it for some reason. Anyway, it was the scheme that KOs a hero from HQ every time a twist comes up. To me, this meant that I had to destroy the mastermind, because eventually, those twists would KO six heroes, and I'd lose. I had a sub-optimal group of heroes and simply could not garner enough points to beat the big guy. Played it twice and lost both times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Crago
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Leonhard wrote:

I did play one the other day that I simply could not beat. I tried to post it, but BGG system wouldn't take it for some reason. Anyway, it was the scheme that KOs a hero from HQ every time a twist comes up. To me, this meant that I had to destroy the mastermind, because eventually, those twists would KO six heroes, and I'd lose. I had a sub-optimal group of heroes and simply could not garner enough points to beat the big guy. Played it twice and lost both times.

It sounds like you played the Cosmic Rays scheme. We just did that one last night for the first time against Stryfe and the randomizer was nice enough to throw in the Heralds of Galactus as one of the extra villain groups. This presented a rough challenge that we ended up losing.

We recruited as normal for a while until our Hero HQ got pretty low as we still could afford a two more villain escapes as long as the twist didn't hit. We managed to get in three rapid strikes on Stryfe in our last round, which was no easy feat since he was buffed up to a 14 strength by that point. I got a good draw and got the first hit in. My brother's wife had a lot of draw cards from Mr. Fantastic and managed to draw up almost her full deck and hit him for two hits in her turn. Unfortunately for us the second card pulled from that forced a Scheme Twist to take effect and we lost.

It was fun though even if for most of it we couldn't seem to muster the strength to hit him since a lot of the build up on him came early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good report. I think I actually like it when I lose, because it presents a challenge to immediately replay it to see if I can do better. So far, most of my solos have been wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Leonhard wrote:

This is Flood Earth with Melted Glaciers. Constantly KOing more and more heroes from the HQ because of the "Rising waters?"

Yeah, this killed me too, with Mole Man and the Subterraneans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doom +The Legacy Virus is one of my favorite setups! Its the best way to turn an "easy base game" Mastermind into a true challenge. Any suggestions for Magneto, Red Skull and Loki?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I once ended up with the Legacy Virus and Mephisto, with no tech heroes, and no Marvel Knights heroes! It was a short game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.