Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The inconsistent BGG entries for the 3 Nightmare Deck sets already released made me wonder, how we should handle the entries for these decks in the future. It's not a big deal, but still I think we can do better. ;-)

I think there are two major points. First there should be a consistent naming convention. And second how do we handle the actual Game Night Kits vs. the "public" PoD release.

The Situation:
Just to get everybody on the same page..
The Game Night Kits contain 3 Nightmare Decks, Tournament rules, a Poster and a Goodie (Playmat, Deck box).
The Print on Demand release only features the 3 individual decks that are sold seperately.

Currently there are 3 sets in the database:
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – Nightmare Deck: Passage Through Mirkwood, which is the Season 1 GNK
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – Game Night Kit 2013 Season Two
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – Game Night Kit 2013 Season Three

The Season 1 entry has three Versions each covering a Nightmare Deck (Passage Through Mirkwood, Journey Along the Anduin, Escape from Dol Guldur). It also has a generic name.

The other two entries only have one version each (like "First edition") and they are named by the Season.

Options:
1) Change nothing
2) Only change the names
3) Get rid of the GNK entries and create individual entries for each Nightmare Deck, also add Accessory entries for the playmats and deck boxes similar to the Netrunner GNK stuff
4) Didn't BGG add some sort of compilation item option? Need to look into that. If they did, we could add individual Nightmare Deck and Accessory entries + compilation entries covering each GNK

What do you think? Does it bother you? Do you have any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schock
United States
White Hall
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ins3kT wrote:
The inconsistent BGG entries for the 3 Nightmare Deck sets already released made me wonder, how we should handle the entries for these decks in the future. It's not a big deal, but still I think we can do better. ;-)

I think there are two major points. First there should be a consistent naming convention. And second how do we handle the actual Game Night Kits vs. the "public" PoD release.

The Situation:
The Game Night Kits contain 3 Nightmare Decks, Tournament rules, a Poster and a Goodie (Playmat, Deck box).
The Print on Demand release only features the 3 individual decks that are sold seperately.

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – Nightmare Deck: Passage Through Mirkwood, which is the Season 1 GNK

The Season 1 entry has three Versions each covering a Nightmare Deck (Passage Through Mirkwood, Journey Along the Anduin, Escape from Dol Guldur). It also has a generic name.

The other two entries only have one version each (like "First edition") and they are named by the Season.

Options:
1) Change nothing
2) Only change the names
3) Get rid of the GNK entries and create individual entries for each Nightmare Deck, also add Accessory entries for the playmats and deck boxes similar to the Netrunner GNK stuff
4) Didn't BGG add some sort of compilation item option? Need to look into that. If they did, we could add individual Nightmare Deck and Accessory entries + compilation entries covering each GNK

Could you get rid of the individual entries and tie then to their non-nightmare versions of quests?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mongol wrote:
Could you get rid of the individual entries and tie then to their non-nightmare versions of quests?

Well it's a seperate release, sort of an expansion to an expansion. While I generally welcome streamlining, I think it's better to keep them seperate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bach
United States
Rocky Hill
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I'm Bach!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Game night kits need their own listings, and I would probably like the format used for Season Three.

When the individual PoD releases come out, a new listing for each should be made.

This way, people who acquired the Game night kits can mark those as owned and people who buy the PoDs can mark each PoD individually as owned.

ins3kT wrote:

The Situation:

Options:
1) Change nothing
2) Only change the names

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I certainly think labelling them as GNK's is confusing. expansions to the original decks makes the most sense to me I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Garrett
United States
Campbellsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Game Night Kits themselves shouldn't be listed, but just each individual Nightmare Deck. Eventually every quest will have a nightmare version, just like they have an easy version, but the easy version doesn't require an extra purchase.

I have all three game night kits released so far (thanks to a nice connection), but some players might walkaway with just a deck or playmat and not be able to own all the contents of a game night kit.

I think simply acknowledging the existence of the decks themselves is the way to go (however one acquires them), and ignore the kits altogether.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with those saying the Game Night Kits themselves shouldn't be listed. Most of the stuff that comes in those is just promotional accessories type stuff that should be listed under 'accessories' if at all.

The only actual game product in the Game Night Kits is the Nightmare decks, which eventually release from FFG normally through their print on demand line. Those are what should be listed.

Not sure if each one should be listed separate, or if they should be listed in batches of 3 as they seem to release together like that (though they are all separate purchases).

Or the option I'm currently doing: I only subscribed and clicked 'owned' on THIS entry, the generic "Nightmare Decks" entry, and just in the comments I list all of the ones that I currently own. Otherwise it will be a ton of extra entries eventually?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattr0polis wrote:
Agree with those saying the Game Night Kits themselves shouldn't be listed. Most of the stuff that comes in those is just promotional accessories type stuff that should be listed under 'accessories' if at all.

The only actual game product in the Game Night Kits is the Nightmare decks, which eventually release from FFG normally through their print on demand line. Those are what should be listed.
I agree 100% with this.

Quote:
Not sure if each one should be listed separate, or if they should be listed in batches of 3 as they seem to release together like that (though they are all separate purchases).
Since they can be purchased separately, each nightmare deck should have an individual entry. The BGG database allows them to be entered as expansions to the core set or appropriate expansion.

Mattr0polis wrote:
Or the option I'm currently doing: I only subscribed and clicked 'owned' on THIS entry, the generic "Nightmare Decks" entry, and just in the comments I list all of the ones that I currently own. Otherwise it will be a ton of extra entries eventually?
Yes there will be a lot, but it reflects reality, and considering the amount of regular expansions I don't think it's worth worrying too much about adding a few more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrickx
Belgium
Reet
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have been able to buy my first nightmare version today... Escape from Dol Guldur

So I'm going to have problems with the actual listings, I don't own the first two quests yet, and how can I list the purchase when I can find them?

I think separate expansion for each expansion is the best way to go, not combining them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Durgin
United States
Tijeras
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather have separate entries for each deck.

I had bought the first three decks and when I saw three available on CSI today I came to BGG to make sure they weren't the ones I already had. But since it was all showing as one entry (I think I added them separately when I bought them and it got combined later!), it was useless to me. I had to come home and check physical boxes.

It ruins the utility of being able to keep track of your collection here, if they are all one entry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Dobranic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nadurgin wrote:
I'd rather have separate entries for each deck.

Second that.

I had bought the first nightmare deck, Passage through Mirkwood and now I cannot log it into my collection

These nightmare decks are sold separately so I think separate entries would be better.
Promo packs and promo cards for lots of games have separate entries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, the consensus seems to be to create seperate entries. I've submitted a suggestion on the suggestion board. We'll need an admin to clean up the current mess. Hopefully, we can sort this out soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Durgin
United States
Tijeras
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like it's sorted now. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, great outcome and many thanks ins3kT for formally submitting the suggestion and getting it followed up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.