Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems the latest update has removed the full upgrade of the card sizes for free at 1000 likes since about a dozen people complained they can't sleeve the game. Happy to see a handful of people have such a huge influence. What about the other 95%? I hate sleeves and think they're a complete waste of money. It's just a game and one not about hidden information. I like the post card sized boards for ease of play and could care less about fingerprints on the game. The campaign said free upgrade at 1000 likes.

Game designers, please remember your overall audience and don't let a rabid few who obsess speak for the general public. Make this a poll on your site for backers like Jamey did for Stonemeier Games kick starters. Let the majority rule, I will always be accepting of that.

EDIT:. And be ready for that same vocal few to come on here and start complaining their box doesn't hold all the cards sleeved. You will be ridiculed to no end about not catering to them exclusively. As The Lorax would say, "I speak for the trees and you've been warned."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek McKay
Azerbaijan
APO
msg tools
badge
Is it my turn? Sorry, I wasn't paying attention.
mbmbmbmbmb
Let them use sandwich bags. If they want to mod their game, let them figure out how to mod it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I can see this has not actually officially been decided yet (please correct me if I'm wrong but I've been hovering around teh KS page all day).

Post in the comments on the KS page and encourage others to do the same. This post is also helpful. They need to hear everyone's opinions (like you said) so that a decision can be made!

For what it's worth though, I don't mind either size. I might sleeve the cards because I'd like to take them out with me (pub would be an issue without sleeves) but at the same time I've looked at the dimensions for the larger size and it feels slightly better in terms of visibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The larger size could fit postcard sleeves anyways. You might be seeing an issue where the new meeples won't fit in the box with the additional cards from the stretch goals, thus the dropping of the larger cards. Not all may be what it seems.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dalley
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think its all about sleeves. I didn't want the larger size because I wanted it to remain small and pocket sized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like the designer is looking into linen embossed larger cards as a possible add-on. I was one of the guys that wanted smaller cards. Yes, this was for sleeving but also out of concern that thin cardboard on larger cards tend to make them warp and a pain in the caboose. I asked for the linen embossed cards yesterday and hopefully, these come to fruition. It certainly adds to the quality of the product.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
The larger size could fit postcard sleeves anyways. You might be seeing an issue where the new meeples won't fit in the box with the additional cards from the stretch goals, thus the dropping of the larger cards. Not all may be what it seems.

-Ski

Not what the update said. It mentioned people "speaking up about the card size", they are revisiting the decision and it could be an "add on". I just want to ensure both sides are clearly heard and again, let the majority decide. Not just a handful of BGG'ers, myself included. Each backer should have a say in helping make that decision. And I say that because people are influencing the end product as the first update clearly pointed out.

Remember what helped you get 1000 likes in the first place. Advertising a larger card size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
Teamski wrote:

-Ski

Not what the update said. It mentioned people "speaking up about the card size", they are revisiting the decision and it could be an "add on". I just want to ensure both sides are clearly heard and again, let the majority decide. Not just a handful of BGG'ers, myself included. Each backer should have a say in helping make that decision. And I say that because people are influencing the end product as the first update clearly pointed out.

Remember what helped you get 1000 likes in the first place. Advertising a larger card size.

Well, this is just the start of it. Considering the huge response to the campaign, I would think that both parties will be getting what they want in the end.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com

I suggested they offer the larger cards IN ADDITION TO the smaller cards. They could even make it a Kickstarter exclusive. The extra cost would be minimal, especially in light of how successful this campaign is likely to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I much prefer the larger cards too. Easier for my old eyes to read and just nicer. And there are sleeve options so that really isn't a good excuse. Besides, the box is big enough to store that size.

But if I must spend more for the bigger cards I'll probably do it. Instead of just guessing how many people want them by comments in project, they should do a poll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Great discussion everyone. I am preparing a poll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray R.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I didn't much care for skyzero's characterization of those of us who preferred the smaller sized cards, I would happily have the larger size be the default and let the original "standard" size cards be the add-on.

There was also a suggestion in one of the comments to use Dixit sized cards. That seems like an interesting middle ground.

Poll
Non-binding card size poll.
  Neutral Would like as add-on Want as default or add-on Want as default Vote Count
Postcard (3.5" x 5", 90mm x 127mm) 27.9% (12) 7.0% (3) 14.0% (6) 51.2% (22) 43
Dixit (3.15" x 4.75", 80mm x 120mm) 40.0% (16) 7.5% (3) 20.0% (8) 32.5% (13) 40
Standard (2.5" x 3", 63.5mm x 88mm) 32.5% (13) 30.0% (12) 20.0% (8) 17.5% (7) 40
Total Voters 48
This poll is now closed.   48 answers
Poll created by rayr
Closes: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:00 am

EDIT#2: Typo. "Standard" size is 2.5" x 3.5" rather than 2.5" x 3".

This is my first poll and I won't claim to be good at them. Sorry if the available options are confusing. I don't care which of Standard or Postcard is the default, I just want to have Standard be an option so I selected "Want as default or add-on" on both. Some people might care which one is the default and I wanted the poll to allow you to express that.

EDIT: Ooops. I see that an official poll is coming. Should I delete mine?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herr Flik
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just backed it as I love carrying Dungeon Heroes around with me for solo or pub game.

For me I like small cards to make it as portable as possible and I never sleeve cards. Like mentioned above I would prefer a better quality card stock than larger cards or sleeving ability.

As long as the quality is good and it is very portable I will remain a happy bunny regardless of the final outcome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rayr wrote:
EDIT: Ooops. I see that an official poll is coming. Should I delete mine?

As there's an official one now, I'd say delete it and add a link. But thanks for putting it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would prefer cubes as opposed to stupid meeples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
I would prefer cubes as opposed to stupid meeples.

I am a sucker for those cubes as well - the more minimalist the game is the better. At least for me.

But in the end, I would not be upset with any decisions they made regarding components - the game looks so good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:

I suggested they offer the larger cards IN ADDITION TO the smaller cards. They could even make it a Kickstarter exclusive. The extra cost would be minimal, especially in light of how successful this campaign is likely to be.

To be clear, the more successful the project is, the MORE extra cost this would add.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam vanLangenberg
Australia
Cheltenham
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is the poll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vanadamme wrote:
Where is the poll?

Couple posts down in the general section. Large cards won by a landslide. They opted to go with Dixit size so 3% can sleeve and be happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
sedjtroll wrote:
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:

To be clear, the more successful the project is, the MORE extra cost this would add.

The more successful the campaign, the more copies they print, and thus the lower the unit cost (for manufacturing). Thus, their margins would be bigger.

At the right stretch goal amount, the lower unit cost would almost certainly offset most if not all of the additional cost of including both sets of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
vanadamme wrote:
Where is the poll?

Couple posts down in the general section. Large cards won by a landslide. They opted to go with Dixit size so 3% can sleeve and be happy.

Is it so terrible?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.