Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Awesome
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello guys and happy new year!

Im in process of finishing up a card/dice-game design, there is finishing touches to the design needing done and final playtests, but its starting to nearing that moment when its time to start and push the baby out the door

Since Im terrible at doing art and layout I need artists doing this and I dont want to insult anyone with my ignorance at what is fair to pay so here I am looking for assistance!

What needs done:
- Card illustrations
- Card layout, I am envisioning 3 types of cards.
- Icons (6).
- Box and rulebook art.

The game has 33 different cards, 6 dice. The game is set in a strange, gothicpunk version of London so the art should reflect a dark place filled with cynical people and have a sense of twisted humor.

How much is realistic to get paied for all this work? Is a 6 month deadline too narrow?

Im not in my element here at all, so any help is appreciated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastián Koziner
Argentina
Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
OK Art Studio - www.okartstudio.com
mbmbmbmbmb
About timing seems pretty fine, a competent artist should make a card in 1 or 2 days, so in half that time he could work on that.

But now, about budget it's all about the quality you are aiming, it's not the same at all. You won't find an exact number anywhere, cause an starting artist can charge you 20 bucks for a card, an a real pro like a Magic The Gathering artist around 400.

Just talk with different people until you found someone which his quality/price it's good for you, and don't settle with the first you met, there are plenty of fish in the sea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Awesome
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers mate, appriciate the answer

Im not quite sure how much layout would run, is there some kind of standard for this? Functional and nice looking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Grelis
Australia
Surry Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
and crikey!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You only need to hire an artist if you are planning on producing the game yourself. If you want to take the game to a publisher you are better off not dropping a lot of money on art as the publishers will probably want to redo it anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Wocken
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Freelance Game Graphic Designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexander, there are still quite a few details that you'd need before anyone could realistically give you a bid.

• What level of detail are you looking for? Is this a AAA polished game with a lot of cool little elements in the deign or are you jut looking for functional layouts?

• Again, level of detail, this time on the art. Are you looking for anatomically correct characters that are realistic looking or can you settle for a cartoony version that looks not quite right?

• Is this a game that you believe in enough to put your own money on the line to see it completed or are you planning on KickStarting it. If KS, what's your plan on marketing it so it's a successful campaign?

• Timeline, you said 6 months. Is that when you want the final printed game or when you need your files to go to press?

Remember when are having anything creative done, you have three options, and you can only have two of them.
- Fast
- Beautiful
- Cheap

Everyone charges a different rate for their services, so it's going to be a matter of who you feel most comfortable working with / paying their rates. Right now you're actually looking for two people. One to do illustrations, and the other for game graphic design.

On the graphic design front, please feel free to check out projects that I've worked on at my website: www.PeterWocken.com and get in touch with me.

Have a wonderful day!
—Peter Wocken
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DesignMachine Games
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
http://www.hireanillustrator.com/

They vary. However, you may have to go through to people to get the art and the design done. Designers can be $20-60 and hour (normally will charge by the project though).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle bridgett
Canada
flag msg tools
Not that I'm offering, but that much work would realistically take me 2 to 3 months full time. I'd have to charge for that amount of time plus expenses, so I would probably charge 4 to 6 grand (I tend to think I'm on the cheaper end of the spectrum.) Of course this sort of time frame and cost would depend on the level of involvement you'd require (ie. how many times would I need to redraw something.)

You could easily find someone to do it for less (though they'd likely be far less talented and original,) or you could find someone to do it for much more money, it all depends.

What you should consider is that card layout and illustration might be two totally different jobs, so you may want to hire two people, a designer AND an illustrator.

Good luck to ya,

-Kyle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Awesome
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heya, sorry about the late replies, missed the subscription notice and was happily surprised of the kindness of everyone

A few notes:
- first edition will be selfpublished for various reasons and will not be kickstarted for other reasons

- The reasoning behind the wish for illustrator/layout is for convinience. Its easier to co-ordinate with one artist, you tend to get a more uniform style which is always a plus. But perhaps two is better overall?

A big thanks for all the info

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Wocken
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Freelance Game Graphic Designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think it's at least a two person operation. The graphics will take a while but a good designer should be able to seamlessly create a visual design that plays well with the artwork, even if it's from multiple sources. I would agree that one person doing both parts would visually tie together optimally, it's going to be tough finding a 2-in-1 that has time in their schedule to drop everything else and spend a lot of time on your project.

–Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.