11 Posts

Warhammer: Diskwars» Forums » General

Subject: First Battlelore 2e, now this... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Wow...This has been a fantastic few weeks for me. I am a 15yr Warhamer Fantasy player who has tried in vain many times to convert my wife of 11 years to play. No luck at all.

I recently moved and lost all my gaming buddies, and trying to get new converts into a hobby that can cost hundreds (or thousands) of dollars and takes a great deal of time and effort isn't easy. So when Battlelore 2nd edition was released a short time ago, I was hopeful. It didn't let down and my wife actually really enjoys it.

She said it had boardgame elements that she really liked (moving figures on the hexes, rolling dice, drawing cards) and it still felt wargamey enough for me to enjoy.

So yesterday I went and picked up Warhammer Diskwars. No board, no hexes, very little dice rolling, NO MODELS....I really wasn't sure about it to be honest, and kind of bought it on a whim.

This game is amazing. I am so impressed with it. I have the freedom of movement and ability to set up the battlefield as I see fit. My wife has the straightforward and easy to grasp rules that form basis of the game. The ability to create armies is much greater than Battlelore, which we both enjoy.

Disc movement is really great. I get the feeling I am really charging the cavalry down battlefield flanks, carefully positioning archers, and marching ranks of infantry up the middle. Yes, it takes a bit of imagination, but this really does look good on the table. The art is excellent and while I will always prefer the look of models, the convenience, price, and effect of these discs is excellent.

The combat is wonderful. In Warhamer Fantasy, two big melee units can often slug it out for three or four rounds in which literally dozens and dozens of dice are rolled (at once sometimes)all to end up in a result which both players already knew was coming...not so here. I was kind of stunned when we got to our first melee phase. Three units were dropped instantly, that is brutal and exciting. Instead of picking up 5 or 6 delicate models and removing them with great care round after round, I grabbed a disc and tossed it aside. This keeps your head in the game in a way that I find really satisfying.

Set up time is literally a couple of minutes, which greatly beats Battlelore and Warhammer both. Clean-up is needless to say, extremely fast.

I stated in the Battlelore forums that the "Cost/Time to Fun ratio" was fantastic compared to WFB. Amazingly, this game is even better in that respect.

I have really kind of rambled here and I'm not sure what this post really is, but if you sound anything like me with your feelings on WFB or Battlelore 2e, give this a shot. It won't replace either for me, and I will continue to purchase future expansions for both, but it will honestly hit the table more often and be my "go to" game for quite some time. Great job FF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darksome S. Brute
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played both, which would you recommend? I have Battlelore 1st edition, and while I like it, it doesn't get played much (due to set up time, mainly, but also the 'lore' part of the rules always seemed a bit too complex and fussy for me). I'm not a wargamer, so the measuring stick and lack of a board in Diskwars scares me a bit. On the other hand, I'm not a miniatures guy, and really like the idea of the discs serving as units (same footprint as a mini, but cheaper and already in full color!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Having played both I would recommend Warhammer: Diskwars to you, though I think both are excellent games.

Set up time is faster, and much less involved while the game time is similar. Clean up and storage are a great deal easier with Diskwars simply because of the lack of models.

The measuring stick isn't used to move units, it is only used to verify an enemy is within range of spells or range attacks.

Using no board shouldn't worry you, since the units all flip end over end to move no board is required. Terrain can be placed freely or not at all.

In terms of replay value, Warhammer: Diskwars has four armies, and a greater variety of units in each compared to Battlelore 2ed. Also, BL2 has essentially mirrored armies. Each army has the same number and type of each unit. The differences come from lore cards and unit special abilities which may or may not come up in the game at all.

Warhammer units are much more distinct and an army may be better at melee, range, magic, etc. then another. No army feels like a mirror of the other. This makes it more difficult to balance for the designers, but more interesting for the player in my opinion.

With all that said, I am still a huge fan of BL2. However, given your feelings about miniatures and set up/tear down time I think Diskwars would be a better fit for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for this. I'm curious enough to try it, after playing battlelore 2nd edition. hopefully someone in my game group will get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Not wishing to dissuade you from continuing to explore this game (as I think I will be buying my own set in the near future) but you might want to give Battleground a try if you want something closer to WHFB but without the prohibitive entry costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elgin_j wrote:
you might want to give Battleground a try if you want something closer to WHFB but without the prohibitive entry costs.

I have played BFW and while I enjoy the game the rules are way more complex than Warhammer: Diskwars. Should you find like minded people then by all means give BFW a whirl; with the knowledge that it is not going to be a setup and play out of the package like I have found Diskwars to be. It took longer for me and my son to open the box and punch the playing pieces than to setup and and commit to battle (using the intro rules).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I had a similar experience with BFW. It too is a great game but basically aimed to take the models out of Warhammer. The complexity, game time, etc. was pretty similar in my experience. It is a great alternative to Warhammer Fantasy if price is your concern. For me, if I'm playing a game of that kind of depth and time commitment I'd just as soon use models.

Also, as much as this surprised me, I love the disks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darksome S. Brute
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all. Leaning towards this over Battlelore 2nd, partly b/c of the cost:versatility ratio and partly b/c I like the elegance of the disc movement, pinning, scrums, etc. I'm waiting for a comprehensive video review before I bite the bullet, however. Anyone know if such a thing is in the pipeline?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
DriveThru Review did a preview so hopefully they'll follow up with a review, and Dice Tower hopefully!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to second this.

I own and played both BL2S2 and WHDW. And I just purchased a second set of both. Wonderful games that are plenty different enough. And the wife likes them both to boot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.