Subject: Game weight - Is this really a heavy game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday I played my first game of Eldritch Horror. While it is not really my type of game, because of the amount of outcome randomness, I was surprised that this game has currently an average game weight of 3.2. Put differently, more people think this is a heavy game than people thinking EH to be light. I think this is a light game, but I am interested to hear some opinions why I am "wrong" and EH is actually a heavy game.

Why I think EH is a light game: The game gives you tasks to complete, which are pretty straight forward (to close a gate, encounter the gate). Maybe you decide to level up a little bit first. But I have the impression that in the end these decisions are less important, since if you are successful depends so much more on the dice rolls. I even think that Pandemic is (a little bit) heavier, since you know the effect of your actions and hence can plan better (although mechanics are much simpler). In my game of EH, it was more like "Yeah, you could try to do that. We'll see how it turns out." So you cannot really plan that much ahead and rather just play along. That is a light game to me.

Why I think EH may be seen as a heavy game:
- Long play time.
- Difficulty. EH is hard. We failed pretty miserably.
- A lot of components and mechanisms.
While I agree on all of these points, I do not think that these make the game heavy in the way that I have to really think about my decisions what to do next. Even all the different effects on the cards did not increase complexity in my opinion.

Am I wrong? Do the cards offer a complexity that I could not see? Does a veteran player recognize that getting the clue in Sydney (or rather the attempt to do so) is much better than closing the gate in Shanghai?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
ringo84 wrote:

Why I think EH may be seen as a heavy game:
- Long play time.
- Difficulty. EH is hard. We failed pretty miserably.
- A lot of components and mechanisms.

I agree with this assessment. I don't think EH is a particularly heavy game.

Saying that, my rating was a "3" (medium weight), which would tally up to it's current average weight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rayne Smith
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually rated the weight of this game at medium. Maybe my scale is a bit different from yours, but I only give a light weight rating to the lightest weight games (such as Love Letter). Most games I rate as light are typically gateway type games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. It's pretty solidly a medium-weight game, probably actually a bit lighter but it feels heavier than it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben E
United Kingdom
Irthlingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say 3 would be a pretty fair assessment of weight to be honest. It's pretty middle of the road. It's not a light easy game that anyone can jump into straight away (LoveLetter) and it's not a game that is almost completely inaccessible to new players and requires everyone to have pre-read the rulebook (Here I stand I'm looking at you).

Ultimately it depends on where you place your 1 and your 5 as to where EH falls. Also it depends on your cognitive ability to grasp different aspects of games. Different people find the same games heavier or lighter depending on a myriad of factors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boyd
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
I Play With Toy Soldiers.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andarel wrote:
Agreed. It's pretty solidly a medium-weight game, probably actually a bit lighter but it feels heavier than it is.

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't you confusing "weight" with "depth"? This isn't a very deep game, but for most non-gamers it is a rules-heavy game. I think you can play this with casual gamers, but only because you can explain rules as you go along. They would have major problems learning it alone. In that sense, it's not a light game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oivind22 wrote:
Aren't you confusing "weight" with "depth"? This isn't a very deep game, but for most non-gamers it is a rules-heavy game. I think you can play this with casual gamers, but only because you can explain rules as you go along. They would have major problems learning it alone. In that sense, it's not a light game.

Maybe I do. For most games I would consider "deep" and "heavy" not to be much different. As a rule of thumb for assessing game weight, how much thinking (and even exhaustion) is involved in playing the game well. This may come from complex rules, but this was not the case in EH. But I was not the guy running the game (leading through all the phases and reading the Mythos cards). So the game might be more demanding, when you have to make sure that everyone follows the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damean Rendell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Difficulty. EH is hard. We failed pretty miserably.

Maybe because of this

Quote:
The game gives you tasks to complete, which are pretty straight forward (to close a gate, encounter the gate). Maybe you decide to level up a little bit first. But I have the impression that in the end these decisions are less important, since if you are successful depends so much more on the dice rolls. I even think that Pandemic is (a little bit) heavier, since you know the effect of your actions and hence can plan better (although mechanics are much simpler). In my game of EH, it was more like "Yeah, you could try to do that. We'll see how it turns out." So you cannot really plan that much ahead and rather just play along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aurelian
United Kingdom
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I suspect many people give it a medium or even heavy weighting to reflect its relative complexity of rules and the number of things you have to remember during play. I'd agree that based strictly on difficulty of choices and potential for brain-burn this is a light game - the best choices for play are usually obvious each turn. In a way that;s why it's so good as a multi-player solo game - the decisions aren't too taxing (though not trivial either) so you can enjoy the story as it unfolds. Personally I mix up complexity and depth when assessing games and would say EH is medium weight, but can see the OP's point of view.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
A couple of thoughts:

Dice doesn't equal Random
Dice = Probability

The way you improve your play is to learn the probabilities, and find ways to adjust them in your favor consistently through-out the course of the game.

Which is why:
Quote:
The game gives you tasks to complete, which are pretty straight forward (to close a gate, encounter the gate). Maybe you decide to level up a little bit first. But I have the impression that in the end these decisions are less important, since if you are successful depends so much more on the dice rolls.

You are experiencing EHDDS. Eldritch Horror Dispair/Derangement Syndrome. The game gives you a lot of options and a path to victory that is much less clear or certain than it first appears. At first it is like to be an uncontrollable abusive relationship. You try everything you can think of, but nothing works, and the games just beats you harder the more you try. Then you drawn the 'All for Nothing' card, and the table gets flipped.

It takes some time/skill to figure out (a) how to swing odds in your favor; (b) what to prioritize during the phase of the game; and (c) how to mitigate the worst effects of a bad Mythos card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bohnet
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My take is that it is rules heavy, but the focus on narrative makes it a strategy light game with a high degree of randomness, so it is difficult to rate the 'weight' with a single number. To me, saying it is a 'heavier' game because of the largish rule book, regardless of how much randomness there is makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Chapman
Australia
Norwood
SA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this about 5 times (mainly solo), and I have found myself with some subtle and agonising tactical choices to make which have resulted in more than a few moments of analysis paralysis. Though certainly the randomness surrounding encounters makes confidence in any choice low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the input. Especially what Rob said:
robwrigley wrote:

You are experiencing EHDDS. Eldritch Horror Dispair/Derangement Syndrome. The game gives you a lot of options and a path to victory that is much less clear or certain than it first appears. At first it is like to be an uncontrollable abusive relationship. You try everything you can think of, but nothing works, and the games just beats you harder the more you try. Then you drawn the 'All for Nothing' card, and the table gets flipped.

It takes some time/skill to figure out (a) how to swing odds in your favor; (b) what to prioritize during the phase of the game; and (c) how to mitigate the worst effects of a bad Mythos card.

I rather experienced this "uncontrollable abusive relationship" during my first play, but I am glad to hear that there is much more to the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Villanova
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rate both AH and EH as medium weight games with AH closer towards the heavy side of medium and EH on the light side of medium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.