Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
matthew colvin
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Conversely to the other thread: what new (or new to you) games did you play in 2013 that completely, utterly, totally lived up to their hype?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terra Mystica, Tzolk'in and The Resistance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Walters
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride

Now, before you all laugh at me: I'm relatively new to gaming over the past year or so and am typically anti-mainstream with anything (that's a personal issue). So when everyone said TTR was a must-have in a starting collection I blew it off and tried games with a narrower audience based on what I thought I'd like with mixed results. Then, when TTR when on lightning sale on Amazon, I said "what the heck" and picked it up. Naturally, it's a family favorite...and I get to admit that I really enjoy it as well. That's saying something for a game that probably is a little over-hyped as a classic gateway game.

Also: Takenoko. Not sure that there was a lot of hype, but Will Wheaton sure liked it and I find I like it quite a bit myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan King
United States
Fairmount
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without a doubt it was Hive. When I first saw this game recommended to someone else, I was unimpressed. Curiosity got the best of me finally, so I looked it up in the database. I became interested, so I bought a copy from eBay. After one play I was hooked! I then became obsessed with getting all three official expansions, and I did. I can't recommend this game enough! Far out! Also Boxcars was everything I hoped it would be. A great replacement for Rail Baron.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably finally getting my Kickstarter copy of Ogre and getting to play it for the first time. I'm definitely not regretting that investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kemet was great. Even people who normally only like Euro games seem to get some enjoyment out of it.

Since 2013 was my first year in gaming, this list is easy. El Grande, Crokinole, Race for the Galaxy are all fantastic. Indonesia, Imperial, Metropolys, Planet Steam, and Twilight Struggle were also great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lewis & Clark - we missed this at Essen as there were no free tables and then it sold out. I wasn't too fussed because the description sounded crap: deck building, worker placement race game. Yuk!

But my wife was really cross with me so I ordered her a copy for Christmas. We played it a LOT over the break and really, thoroughly enjoyed it. Very clever game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Brown
United Kingdom
Coulsdon
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My gaming group and I have really been impressed by Euphoria. We picked it up very quickly and it was voted as top choice for our next (monthly) gaming session - a very rare occurrence as we like to vary our games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it was Compounded and Rise of Augustus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I started in boardgaming at the start of 2013 pretty much everything has been new to me. I'm happy to say that MOST of what I played actually lived up to the hype, in particular I would mention:

Android: Netrunner
Dominion
Twilight Struggle
Bora Bora
Eclipse
Agricola
Puerto Rico
The Castles Of Burgundy
Tzolk'in
A Game Of Thrones (Second Edition)

Those and quite a few others definitely lived up to the hype for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bibious P
msg tools
mbmb
I'll throw in a vote for Pathfinder Adventure Card Game.
Got this in November and our group is really enjoying it.

Also 2013 was the first we played Dominion and my wife and I really appreciated that game as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Takenoko
Lords of Waterdeep
Suburbia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm somewhat new and, of the games I played in 2013 (though not released in 2013 if that's what you're asking?), the one that most impressed me was Snow Tails.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CD Harris
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically, since it was New Year's Day, I didn't play it until 2014. But close enough: Terra Mystica definitely lived up to the hype.

I played Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar mainly because one of my gaming group bought it and ended up liking it a lot. I can't say it totally lived up to the (consderable) hype, but it far exceeded my expectations.

I also finally got to play Dominant Species in 2013 and loved it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say Coup among many others, but this was the one that took me by surprise. I only bought it because my FLGS has like 15 KS orders that came in. Over the course of the day, they kept disappearing. So even though I knew nothing about the game, I bought it, and loved it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Terror in Meeple City

I thought it would be fun for the nostalgia of it, but it ended up being a decently fun game and the only dexterity game that I want to play again. It needs the right kind of play group, as some people won't play it to its full potential because they're embarrassed to use the "Breathe" attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed BGG.CON 2012, so I missed out on trying Terra Mystica before 2013. And it worth all the hype.

Also OGRE DE is a box of awesome. So pleased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew colvin
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert666 wrote:
Lewis & Clark - we missed this at Essen as there were no free tables and then it sold out. I wasn't too fussed because the description sounded crap: deck building, worker placement race game. Yuk!

But my wife was really cross with me so I ordered her a copy for Christmas. We played it a LOT over the break and really, thoroughly enjoyed it. Very clever game.

I wish I could find a copy of this to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amuk wrote:
Technically, since it was New Year's Day, I didn't play it until 2014. But close enough: Terra Mystica definitely lived up to the hype.

really? you think that's one of the best games ever made?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Titanium Wars
Firefly
Yedo
Nothing Personal
Star Wars LCG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Frantz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terra Mystica, Tzolk'in, and City of Iron definitely lived up to the hype.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CD Harris
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
Amuk wrote:

really? you think that's one of the best games ever made?

I wouldn't go that far after 1 play about any game. But it is really good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Pax Porfiriana was really fun to play this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serena
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caverna: The Cave Farmers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Terra Mystica and Krosmaster:Arena were the stand up winners for me this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.