Subject: Running out of ALL the drinks (all on drink me pile) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
exqcme wrote:
We had a game where the drink deck runs out literally every other turn,
forcing everyone to keep paying 1 gold to reshuffled 3-4 cards.

Is this normal?
Or just part of the mechanic to push the game to come to an end?

That doesn't sound normal. Each player can only give out 1 drink a turn, and then they each have 2 'Wench, Bring my friends some drinks' that cost a dollar and give 2 extra drinks. So, that's an extra 4 drinks a player (if they can afford it) until they reshuffle their deck. Then you have drinking events/contests that can move thru the drink deck quicker, but shouldn't hit that often.

I can't think of any game I've played that had the drink deck shuffled more than twice. We normally play just the base, with 3-4 players if that helps.

The only way I could see it happening would be if everyone had chasers that got buried under bring my friend some drinks cards, so they never hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't sound normal, is everyone skipping their drink phase or ignoring chasers & events?

There should be, on average, more cards going to the drink discard pile than there are players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How many times do you end up re-shuffling player decks? At most we'll reshuffle once, so we don't have as much time to great large drink stacks. If your games are balanced enough (somehow) to have player decks reshuffled 2-3 times, it might happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Q You
Canada
MISSISSAUGA
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we shuffled atleast 2-3 times for a 4 player games.

I don't recall anything special happening ;\

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
exqcme wrote:

Sounds like it was just a quirk then. Just re-review the drink deck rules to make sure you're following them correctly (assuming your new to the game) In your buy a drink phase you give the top drink from the drink deck to a players drink me pile, face down, in your drink phase you take your top drink me card. Remember that a drink with chaser and it's chaser card resolves as 1 drink. So if you ignore the drink you're discarding both those cards, not just the Drink with chaser card.

And all discarded/ignored drinks go into one giant discard pile that gets reshuffled as the drink deck as needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Q You
Canada
MISSISSAUGA
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
squegeeboo wrote:
exqcme wrote:

Sounds like it was just a quirk then. Just re-review the drink deck rules to make sure you're following them correctly (assuming your new to the game) In your buy a drink phase you give the top drink from the drink deck to a players drink me pile, face down, in your drink phase you take your top drink me card. Remember that a drink with chaser and it's chaser card resolves as 1 drink. So if you ignore the drink you're discarding both those cards, not just the Drink with chaser card.

And all discarded/ignored drinks go into one giant discard pile that gets reshuffled as the drink deck as needed.

i'm pretty sure we were following the rules you listed as is.
hmmmm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My other thought would be the round on the house card. That's just 1 drink, which is treated as 4 separate drinks, one for each player, not 4 separate drink deck flips, one for each player.

Anyways, that's pretty much all I've got. I'm surprised that the drink deck cycling so often didn't knock out people with poor money management though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like there is a play error here. In an average RDI game the drink deck is shuffled once or twice. If you are shuffling that entire 40 card stack every few turns you are doing something wrong. Perhaps you are paying when a person's personal drink me pile is empty in error? Unless I'm not understanding your question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
exqcme wrote:
i'm pretty sure we were following the rules you listed as is.
hmmmm

Something's definitely going wrong.

How many people per game are you playing?
With four, or even five, you shouldn't shuffle the drink deck more than twice at the extreme.

Every few rounds?!?

Unless you're playing with one drink deck and twelve players, this is something going very wrong!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh..... I think I may have figured out what's going on here.

Two interpretations:

1 - You've somehow got a shitload of drink cards tied up in each players' "Drink Me!" piles....

OR....
the more likely case

2 - You're confusing the complete Drink Deck with individual character's Drink Me piles somehow.

I'm guessing it's the latter because you said, "...forcing everyone to keep paying 1 gold to reshuffled 3-4 cards."

The only way the drink deck could have that few cards is if you are playing with a TON of people and only one, uncombined drink deck (if this is the case, combine your decks!!), or if you somehow divvy up the deck into a small number of very large Drink Me piles.

However, if you are interpreting the rule of "shuffle the drink deck and pay a gold" as "shuffle the drink me pile and pay a gold" then you could absolutely have only three or four cards and would have to shuffle "literally every other turn" as you say.

Something is wrong and I'll bet money it's as I suspect here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. I think you are paying gold when someone's "drink Me" pile is emptied and that is not how you do it.
If it is emptied, no one pays gold and it stays emptied until someone puts a drink on it during the buy drinks phase or through abilities on cards.

Only when the central 40 card Drink deck is emptied and reshuffled do you pay gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also. When you drink a drink from your drink me pile, it goes into the central drink deck discard for all drinks regardless of where they come from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Q You
Canada
MISSISSAUGA
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we're definitely not paying for gold when someone's dirnk me pile is empty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
exqcme wrote:

Ok....

Um...

How many people are you playing with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
exqcme wrote:

So what do you mean by, "the drink deck is running out literally every other turn"? That is impossible. Are you just exaggerating? OR are you playing in a way that is making it happen that much. As said in standard games even with 5 or 6 players I do not think I saw the deck shuffled more than twice.

It is a 40 card deck. You should draw 1 card per player per turn, and even if everyone plays, wench bring some drinks for my friends that is 3 cards per player. So even if in a 4 player game, all players played that exact card, your would have 28 cards left in it... And those wench cards are in limited supply.

When you say "pay 1 gold to reshuffle 3-4 cards" Where are these cards coming from that you are talking about?

If you all have to pay 1 gold, then you are reshuffling 95% of the drink deck. You should be shuffling every card except the ones currently on peoples drink me piles.

Please clarify those two points and we can help find out where the error is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
Perhaps you are paying when a person's personal drink me pile is empty in error?

Oops. I guess you called it before me.

I still say this is what's happening.

OP, you really need to give us more information.
Perhaps if you could give a play by play of a couple of rounds where this occurs we could help you out more.

You're really not giving us enough info to help with this situation.
And, as posted, it's an impossible situation.
So, help us help you!

More detail!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I still think it was just dumb luck. Sounds like the OP is playing it correctly, and they shuffled thru the character decks multiple times. If they managed to get all the chasers buried early on by "Bring my friends some drinks" and reshuffled their character decks twice, that's potentially 12 purchased drinks per player (3x reshuffle, 2x BMFSD), with chasers being buried you're almost out of drink cards.

I'd chalk it up to dumb luck, and if it happens again, more detailed information on how drinks are given out, drank, and discarded would find the issue.

Even in basic 5 card stud poker, someone gets dealt a royal flush now and again...This is like the less good version of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squegeeboo wrote:
I still think it was just dumb luck. Sounds like the OP is playing it correctly, and they shuffled thru the character decks multiple times. If they managed to get all the chasers buried early on by "Bring my friends some drinks" and reshuffled their character decks twice, that's potentially 12 purchased drinks per player (3x reshuffle, 2x BMFSD), with chasers being buried you're almost out of drink cards.

I'd chalk it up to dumb luck, and if it happens again, more detailed information on how drinks are given out, drank, and discarded would find the issue.

Even in basic 5 card stud poker, someone gets dealt a royal flush now and again...This is like the less good version of that.

But they said they are reshuffling the entire drink deck "every other turn" Luck can not get that dumb...

There are some key things the OP said that just do not make logical sense if they are playing correctly. I will bet geek gold that they are either exaggerating on their description or they are accidentally playing a rule very wrong.

Also. If you go through the entire drink deck, that would be an incredible amount of alcohol content to divvy out. If the deck gets reshuffled that many times the players would almost assuredly be all eliminated by drinks. Not even Dimli could withstand that much punishment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:

But they said they are reshuffling the entire drink deck "every other turn" Luck can not get that dumb...

There are some key things the OP said that just do not make logical sense if they are playing correctly. I will bet geek gold that they are either exaggerating on their description or they are accidentally playing a rule very wrong.

Also. If you go through the entire drink deck, that would be an incredible amount of alcohol content to divvy out. If the deck gets reshuffled that many times the players would almost assuredly be all eliminated by drinks. Not even Dimli could withstand that much punishment.

They're not reshuffling the entire deck, just the handfull (4-8?) of cards left within the drink deck. It could all be light ales, or coffee/water/holywater might still be in it. And there was a reference to

"Is this normal?
Or just part of the mechanic to push the game to come to an end?"

Which would imply it became an issue later in the game, which had 2-3 character deck shuffles per player. Making it (in my experience) a much longer game than usual.

And sometimes luck just is that stupid, I know I've had runs of terrible/great cards before. Statistically it can happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK I am trying to picture it...
A small lonely central drink deck that is only 3 or 4 cards and all the rest of the drink cards for the entire game are all in peoples drink me piles collecting dust.

And I guess I could see this happen if all of these rare factors fall into place.

1) All players play their bring drinks cards aggressively and early to fill everyone's drink me piles with drinks. So in a 4 player game all characters would have to have 6+ drinks in their piles.
This means everyone would have to play wench bring some drinks for my friends at least once or twice. And they would have to give all drinks to a single person with each card use to assure the cards are buried.

2)All chasers and drink events that draw extra drinks were put at the bottom of peoples decks and stayed buried there.
So the way the drink deck was shuffled, all said cards were at the top of it and given out to peoples decks in clumps.
Say I play the wench card and put 2 chasers on your drink pile and then a regular drink on top. So the next time the player had to drink, they drink the single drink card, and before their turn comes around they get a couple more chasers and drink events placed on it with a regular drink on top again burying these cards.

3)No one played their cards to make people drink. Like "You look thirsty", "lets toast the goddess" etc. So drink me piles were not effected too much.
Playing a single one of these cards would offset this delicate balance and force people to dig into these chasers etc.

I am almost wondering if when the OPs group plays an ignore a drink card they are not discarding it? That could be a play error to make this work. I just have a drink on top of my deck and 2 rounds in a row played ignore a drink cards and left it there in error thus allowing the drink me pile to stay full.

4) And the only cards left in the drink deck were single drink cards with low alcohol content. No drink events. No chasers...

If all these events fell perfectly into place I suppose the situation could happen where player 1 drinks a simple drink from their pile and discards it into the discard pile, gives a drink to player 2 on top of their enormous drink stack. Then player 2 drinks that simple drink and discards it, and gives one to player 3 etc. And all these recycled drinks are simple drinks that aren't getting people drunk and then low and behold the 4 card drink deck needs to be reshuffled again and again.

Wash rinse and repeat and every few rounds you are reshuffling this deck.

But that is crazy ridiculously rare. Like astral alignment of the planets rare. The players would have to be intentionally working towards making this happen.

I am not sure if I could make that happen unless I stacked the deck myself.

I picture anyone playing a drink action would completely disrupt this pattern and suddenly a player with a drink me pile full of chasers and drink events would have to go through their pile and thus refresh the drink discard.

I am finding this fascinating. I still want to play the odds and say they are missing something.

If the OP can please comment and confirm their game played out in the steps I described that can put an end to this discussion.

I am super curious now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Q You
Canada
MISSISSAUGA
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:

If the OP can please comment and confirm their game played out in the steps I described that can put an end to this discussion.

Woah, that's alot of analysis onto this drink deck issue.

I can't recall it exactly..
But i am certain everyone kept going crazy with the wench bringing more drinks every round.

We definitely discards drink when we ignore the drink.

MajaiofDreams wrote:

Like astral alignment of the planets rare.

Lol...
Thanks all for the feedback, I'll have to try it again with my friends and record about it when it occurs again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
exqcme wrote:

Thanks all for the feedback, I'll have to try it again with my friends and record about it when it occurs again.

WHEN IT OCCURS AGAIN!?!?!?! If this does occur again you better go buy a lottery ticket because the laws of probability clearly run haywire around you LOL!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Q You
Canada
MISSISSAUGA
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
L O L,
for that, i am definitely buying a ticket. hahahahah

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously?

That's it on this?

"I don't remember, ha ha!"

????

I call complete bullshit on this thread.
OP totally exaggerated and can't / won't give examples of play to lend credence to what was supposed to have happened.

I don't believe the game played out as stated in the OP.

I think it's exaggeration for effect / not understanding the rules and game enough to know that such exaggeration here would elicit this response.

Basically, unless the OP can provide any convincing evidence through examples of play, this thread is dead.
Dead because it's completely false from the get go.
False because the OP is playing something wrong but won't admit / doesn't understand what's happening.

I am calling it now.

Please prove me wrong. I'd like to be proven wrong.

I won't be though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Q You
Canada
MISSISSAUGA
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe you should of just not posted if you don't believe me.
Sorry for not having such good retentive memory of all the games i play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.