flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently had this idea of creating a mashup of 2 of my favourite games:
citadels and BANG!

rules are here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d63uagk3wuemuuj/kazam%21%20rules.p...

The idea: A couple of wizards are having a duel (like bang!)
so you get the role of the Arch-Mage (sherif), Wizard council members (deputies), evil conspirators (outlaws) and evil renegade wizard (renegade).

Similar to citadels you start the round by drafting a familar (like the characters from citadels). Familiars give you extra abilities and determine the order of play. The assassin becomes the "asp", thief is now a rat or crow and so on. The skills are slightly changed due to the way the rest of the game works. Familars give you positive effects in the form of drawing more cards, gaining more mana or have aggressive effects, stealing cards from other players and so on.

The theme is changed to wizards and spells, so instead of "bang!" you will be playing "kazam!"-cards. Instead of the usual suits of cards i've converted everything into elements (air, water, fire, earth to replace hearts, clubs diamonds, spades, plus light and darkness added on to that).

A new mechanic that i'v added is "mana" as a cost to cast some spells. Players gain 1 mana at the beginning of each turn (when they also draw 2 cards). I hope this will add a bit of strategy in the form of resource management, making some spells stronger but slowing them down (you won't be able to play the strongest cards in the first turn).

I've spent the last 2 days doing most of the layout for the game so i can hopefully do a testrun at the weekend, but if anybody has any good ideas, feel welcome to provide feedback!

on the illustrations: i'm using stuff that i produced for some other games that i'm still working on. All spells will have illustrations eventually...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrix
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Re: Citadels+bang!+wizard/magic-theme= KAZAM!
Sounds neat. Just a thought: Since you can't use Citadel's get-money-for-coloured-buldings abilities anymore, maybe you can make the choice of character determine the amount of mana you get that turn?

So rather than keeping track of a mana pool, the amount of mana you get each turn is determined by the character. Maybe some characters give bonuses but few mana point, maybe the last character has no abilities and takes his turn last but has lots of mana. Could add an extra dimension to the character choice while getting rid of mana tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
there will be 3 resources:
cards (=spells), mana (to cast or enhance spells) and coins (to buy artifact cards/equipment).
So there should be quite a few possibilities for gaining resources or stealing them from other players.

unlike in citadels, resources aren't linked to "buildings", but i guess familars could give you a set amount of mana without the need to link that to another game element.
These are some ideas i've come up with so far:

Some of the familiars are capable of tking control of the "Arch-mage emblem" (esentially the crown from citadels), allowing you to go first next turn. Most familairs give you some kind of resource depending on which style of play you favour. The hound gives you the disadvantage of going last, but essentially protects you from any negative effect, unless he's killed by the asp, so players could gang up the player who choses the hound…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the looks of this game. Game A meets Game B is a pretty cool way to generate game ideas.
I know they're just placeholders for now, but the art looks pretty great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks!
well, i feel a bit guilty for ripping off good ideas.. but maybe if i manage to add enough new stuff and tie it all up nicely it won't be too offensive

the art on the characters and the familars is kind of final, just the spells don't have any done yet. No time or money here for anything better, but at least it's my own! (i guess it's bad enough ripping off game designers, don't also want to start ripping off artists… )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate the crappy Assassin in Citadels (and won't play if it is in the game), and the Asp here is even worse - lose a turn AND coins/mana

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cesspit wrote:
I hate the crappy Assassin in Citadels (and won't play if it is in the game), and the Asp here is even worse - lose a turn AND coins/mana

No! i hate the assassin too! (i've actually played a game of citadels where i was assassinated the first 3 rounds in a row! least enjoyable game ever!)

That is why the asp actually doesn't make you lose a turn! it just makes you lose the ability of your familiar and sets you back a bit in terms of cards and mana, but you get to draw new cards and gain new mana on your turn, so it's only half as bad!

Sounds better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I had thought, like in Citadels, the familiar power was the main point of the card.

Seems strange than the Dog can't stop the Asp though (from reading the Dog it sounds as though is should).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cesspit wrote:
Ah, I had thought, like in Citadels, the familiar power was the main point of the card.

Seems strange than the Dog can't stop the Asp though (from reading the Dog it sounds as though is should).

good point!
Originally i didn't even want the Asp to affect the player, but only have it "kill" his familar (so you lose the ability of your familiar, but otherwise nothing bad happens). Then it seemed like the asp was probably too weak… so i changed it to have the additional effect of discarding cards and losing mana but maybe now it's too strong.
Otherwise the only point of the asp vs. the hound would have been to open up the player to attacks from other familiars (strong enough?).

other ways the asp vs. hound scenario could go:
Asp kills hound but has no effect on player.
Asp kills hound and has full effect on player.

i'm not sure which is best… will have to be playtested i guess… opinions are welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
just edited my original post to add a link to the rules:

feedback is super welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty cool idea! If you can keep the game to a slim amount of cards somehow, you'd have a great micro game - which is all the rage right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adamw wrote:
Pretty cool idea! If you can keep the game to a slim amount of cards somehow, you'd have a great micro game - which is all the rage right now.

microgame? as the main game mechanic is based on bang!, there will be a spell deck containing about 80-100 cards… i doubt that qualifies as a micro game…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizzie
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” ― G.K. Chesterton
badge
A Hug a Day keeps the Doctor away!
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the art

I haven't played Bang in too long to properly imagine how it would play, but I like the addition of the roles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks!
i'm actually finalizing the (beta?)rules right now. Not sure if i should just post them here in the original post?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Cook
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGoodGuy wrote:
Both?

Both what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

4 of the 16 wizards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizzie
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” ― G.K. Chesterton
badge
A Hug a Day keeps the Doctor away!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Citadels+bang!+wizard/magic-theme= KAZAM! feedback and advice wanted!
I misread the 4th guy as Magus of the Tea, now I prefer that power but seriously, they are looking very nice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Magus of the tea" would have been cute (might change it).
I thought "of the Sea" was already silly enough, having a nautical theme and a telescope (you know "sea/see", yeah, lame… i know… )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alyn Roddis
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love your art Dennis! I'll have to check out the rules, our guys like take-that style games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
refugeesfromreality wrote:
I love your art Dennis! I'll have to check out the rules, our guys like take-that style games.

arghh! before you check out the rules (in case you downloaded them), please wait a second while i'm preparing an updated version for dropbox (should be up some time this evening…) !
but thanks for the interest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
updated the rules:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alyn Roddis
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem, only just downloaded them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.